Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bounty of the Costume Shop

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Alan, were any of them this beat up? It's on Etsy, listed as a theater prop, for $10.
il_fullxfull.279698515.jpg

Oh yes... and worse. I could only save a couple.

BTW, I was successful in cleaning most of the residue from the brim edge on the Borso and will be sanding and steaming to bring the felt finish to match the rest of the hat. This weekend I will remove the nasty ribbon on the Premier Stetson and try it with the thin leopard strip I have been saving for such an occasion. I think this olive Strat might look nice with an "Out of Africa" inflection.

Donna and I went back to see a dance company last night... she had to lock up the shop so I had a few more minutes to rummage through the wardrobe.

knapp5.jpg

I got into the bowler/derby cabinet. A number of nice older Stetsons and this beautiful C&K. Only had the iPhone to take a few pictures and got rushed out the door before I had a chance to shoot an outside view.

knapp1.jpg

Great suspension weave between the sweatband and the hat body:

knapp4.jpg

knapp3.jpg

Sold from a shop in our historic downtown Statler Hilton. It was sealed with plans for demolition a couple of years ago... now back open with hopes for renovation. No hat shops or businesses of any kind in there today.

knapp2.jpg

Manufacturing label:

knapp11.jpg

knapp10.jpg

knapp9.jpg

knapp8.jpg

knapp7.jpg

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
Alan, can you persuade the "powers that be" into some sort of trade (hat for hat so to speak, one not of your size for one they won't really miss)? Anyway, I hope the term you can keep them (appreciated and out of harms way) is a long, long one (perhaps they get repatriated with a small portion of your estate many years down the road? ;)).

Glad to hear the Borso was a success, reading up to that point I was going to suggest a bit longer application of the acetone or the like, and next thought of sanding.

That Bowler really cries out to go home with you, even carries your initials (partially at least). Was it a workable size?

Last, please do share pics of the caps when you get a chance, I'd love to see some more examples of good vintage caps!

Very much like a kid in a candy shop. Donna has some wonderful vintage clothing that she keeps a close eye on so that it doesn't disappear or get cut up in an experiment. Most of the hats are relatively modern repros. When our Studio Arena closed a few years back, she was able to buy some good things from their wardrobe liquidation sale. I believe the nice old homburgs and derbies are coming from this collection.

The C&K derby is a good fit. I have negotiated a trade for a nice 1940's Stetson derby that fits a little big on me, so more pictures to follow. I will get into the cap boxes next time I visit. I wonder if Donna is free for lunch tomorrow...?

Thanks for the comments!

Art-Style 8 panel cap

I've been waiting for this cap to come back from a production of Hedda Gabler (period reset!)... it looks old to me, but Donna was unsure of vintage and curious about the casual alignment of the pattern in construction. I hope some of you might be able to guesstimate. The fabric feels like a linen/wool blend. In excellent original condition save for the brim stiffening and the sweatband, which is costume shop replaced grosgrain.

artstyle1.jpg

artstyle2.jpg

artstyle4.jpg

artstyle3.jpg

artstyle5.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran