Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The bow inside the hat

This Austrian hat... another example of a functional lacing

ottomatt5.jpg

ottomatt2.jpg

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Art, why did it make sense "for a while"? Are you suggesting it doesn't make sense anymore to have a size adjustment like that (I know modern hats aren't generally made that way anymore). What has changed?

I cannot speak with a world view Andrew but a number of things in the US , at one time, came "one size fits all" as in shoes, if memory serves, did not exist as left and right but one shape until the later part of the 19th century, shirt sleeves were one or two one lengths until the early 20th century, thus the need for arm bands to hold it to the right length. That's why my statement "form follows function. Hats weren't sized as accurately as in the early to mid 20th century when not only size but shape ( long oval, round oval, egg oval ) came into place. The tradition carried on with many companies but became more decorative than necessary. One wonders what to think of the small , medium, and Large sizing of today. Should we bring back laced sweatbands again?

Willybob

A-List Customer
Sure, Bring em back. Its a cool detail. We like a historically accurate recreation of a vintage hat. How many of us use that funny little windy trolly cord and button but we keep em because they're historically accurate and cool looking

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I cannot speak with a world view Andrew but a number of things in the US , at one time, came "one size fits all" as in shoes, if memory serves, did not exist as left and right but one shape until the later part of the 19th century, shirt sleeves were one or two one lengths until the early 20th century, thus the need for arm bands to hold it to the right length. That's why my statement "form follows function. Hats weren't sized as accurately as in the early to mid 20th century when not only size but shape ( long oval, round oval, egg oval ) came into place. The tradition carried on with many companies but became more decorative than necessary. One wonders what to think of the small , medium, and Large sizing of today. Should we bring back laced sweatbands again?
+$50 ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925