Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The bow inside the hat

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
I've been curious about why there is a small bow attached to the back of the sweatband inside my hats.

Is this true?

4CFD3867-BCB5-41E2-A033-188C70E2D1B0_zpsrjlgvayk.jpeg

Silverstreak

New in Town
I read somewhere that it was a memorial to the hatters who died of mercury poisoning, but this explanation makes much more sense.

There have been hats posted (mostly German and Austrian hats from Steve) where a lacing threaded through the sweatband is used presumably to provide size adjustment. This is also seen in equestrian derbies. But the majority of these lacing elements are decorative only. This is the case with the c.1950's Huckel posted by Anthony above, and this Hawes Von Gal, which dates c.1905.

23.jpg

There have been hats posted (mostly German and Austrian hats from Steve) where a lacing threaded through the sweatband is used presumably to provide size adjustment. This is also seen in equestrian derbies. But the majority of these lacing elements are decorative only. This is the case with the c.1950's Huckel posted by Anthony above, and this Hawes Von Gal, which dates c.1905.

23.jpg
Nice detail!

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
I read somewhere that it was a memorial to the hatters who died of mercury poisoning, but this explanation makes much more sense.
I've read that somewhere too. I've also come across a similar explanation but memoraialising coal miners instead.

I think this article makes more sense. Moon's photo give the article credibility

23.jpg
I am actually wearing one today. I will post photos later.

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
Form follows function so yes, this is true in that it was a way to adjust the size for better fit. It made sense for a while
Art, why did it make sense "for a while"? Are you suggesting it doesn't make sense anymore to have a size adjustment like that (I know modern hats aren't generally made that way anymore). What has changed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner