Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Now, this little fella really makes me happy. Made by Swedish millinery Karlskrona Hattfabrik (hat factory), bought at a local auction site. Doesn't appear to have been used at all, note the blue/golden tag that no one even seems to have bothered to remove. Best thing is it fits like a silk glove, could have been made for my very head.

View attachment 141933 View attachment 141934 View attachment 141935 View attachment 141936 View attachment 141937 View attachment 141938 View attachment 141939 View attachment 141940 View attachment 141941
Super nice find Erik. Congrats. I've seen a few bowlers made by Karlskrona here in Denmark. They're well made.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Now, this little fella really makes me happy. Made by Swedish millinery Karlskrona Hattfabrik (hat factory), bought at a local auction site. Doesn't appear to have been used at all, note the blue/golden tag that no one even seems to have bothered to remove. Best thing is it fits like a silk glove, could have been made for my very head.

View attachment 141933 View attachment 141934 View attachment 141935 View attachment 141936 View attachment 141937 View attachment 141938 View attachment 141939 View attachment 141940 View attachment 141941
Congrats on that one, Erik. Seems like a very well made hat. Always a satisfying experience when a hat fits like that.

1890 Patent for a hat receptacle or holder for valuables, or perhaps a derringer. Shown in a Derby.

IMG_9697.jpg

sebastian czentner

One of the Regulars
I bought this great bowler from Stefan. It was originally made by Boy de Winter of L'Hiver in Holland and beautifully restored by Fleur de Huu of Penumbra hats because, as Stefan says, "... it was in a bit of a state."
Stefan and Fleur agreed that this lovely chocolate brown bowler deserved a bold "look at me" bow. Good choice guys.
Originally made as a riders hat, the stiffness of the felt and solid nature of the crown bear witness to this, it will now be used as a town hat [emoji4].
I'll definitely keep my eye out for a L'Hiver in the future and if ever I need work done on a hat, Penumbra will be my first choice.
Thank you Stefan for saving this bowler so it could end up on my head and in my collection.
a1575e4b29165a74298acbc4b79cb591.jpg
4d5fb78efc4e666487f6f449bc68d9fa.jpg
d5fd17547cf1a1afc9612ec327834153.jpg
86f6ea11216a79ba97d81bbca15703f1.jpg

Beautifull derby, as i said before i wasnt found of derbys until i brought one since then the derby/bowler/bombin is one of my favorite hats models

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
  1. Bombetta Qualità Superiore. Size 7 US or 5 French. European 57 cm.
  2. 20sslmf.jpg

The "bombetta" is a "Misto" felt of fur and wool.
    2re738n.jpg

It is called "M Favaro" as you can see in the enclosed images of the inside of the hat. "Rizzo" is the type. Ribbon is "Nera"
    2cqjt4x.jpg

It is a slightly "heather" felt bowler, the first I saw in my life
    jv3sz8.jpg

The size marked on the sweatband is 7, I, with some doubts, bought it thinking a 61 centimeters, but at the opening of the package this is the result
    s6kmlv.jpg

The measurements are: crown is at 12 cm. curled brim at 5,5 cm and the ribbon is 3 cm
    29o2xko.jpg

The felt, in a medium grey, is mixed with fur and wool with a “heather” look. It weight 161 grams
    2vuwpyb.jpg

It was sold in Milan
    My opinion on its age is it was made before the WWII
    2cp3zwj.jpg

I said this from the paper label with size written with fountain pen, lining and finishing
    Embossed golden stamps on the sweatband
    1r7s01.jpg

Size tag and the interior bow
    t0grh1.jpg

A lucky find for sure, but I wish it was more my size!

2. 20sslmf.jpg

2re738n.jpg

It is called "M Favaro" as you can see in the enclosed images of the inside of the hat. "Rizzo" is the type. Ribbon is "Nera"
    2cqjt4x.jpg

jv3sz8.jpg

The size marked on the sweatband is 7, I, with some doubts, bought it thinking a 61 centimeters, but at the opening of the package this is the result
    s6kmlv.jpg

The measurements are: crown is at 12 cm. curled brim at 5,5 cm and the ribbon is 3 cm
    29o2xko.jpg

The felt, in a medium grey, is mixed with fur and wool with a “heather” look. It weight 161 grams
    2vuwpyb.jpg

It was sold in Milan
    2cp3zwj.jpg

I said this from the paper label with size written with fountain pen, lining and finishing
    1r7s01.jpg

t0grh1.jpg

What a great looking stiff felt Daniele. It is really unusual, but beautiful. Wish it were my size! Stefan might even be enticed to wear a Bowler with this one, it is in his size.

2. 20sslmf.jpg

2re738n.jpg

2cqjt4x.jpg

jv3sz8.jpg

s6kmlv.jpg

29o2xko.jpg

2vuwpyb.jpg

It was sold in Milan
    2cp3zwj.jpg

1r7s01.jpg

t0grh1.jpg

What a great looking stiff felt Daniele. It is really unusual, but beautiful. Wish it were my size! Stefan might even be enticed to wear a Bowler with this one, it is in his size.
It is an outstanding hat with a great historic background.
Can you read minds, Mike? It certainly has me uneasy...

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
It is an outstanding hat with a great historic background.
Can you read minds, Mike? It certainly has me uneasy...
Me too, Stefan. Even if it's not quite your size or mine, who wouldn't want Daniele's wonderful find in their collection? Hats are made to be worn, but some are just too outstanding not to have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ