Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

jwalls said:
Here are some shots of my first work with a derby flange. Manny thanks to Dave at D bar J for letting me play in his shop. The finished product. :D :D

rmm.image.medium_image

Great job on the flange. Also really like the side curl. Super looking hat!

The binding is a little wrinkled but that might be to due to the material. Probably difficult to find the old derby/bowler/melone ribbon.

jwalls

Vendor
mayserwegener said:
rmm.image.medium_image

Great job on the flange. Also really like the side curl. Super looking hat!

The binding is a little wrinkled but that might be to due to the material. Probably difficult to find the old derby/bowler/melone ribbon.
You've got it. If anyone knows where I can get real silk grosgrain ribbon in 5/8" or 3/4" black let me know. The silk will stretch enough to get more of the wrinkles out.

jwalls said:
You've got it. If anyone knows where I can get real silk grosgrain ribbon in 5/8" or 3/4" black let me know. The silk will stretch enough to get more of the wrinkles out.

Maybe one of the custom hat makers might know. I have a couple of newer bowlers with the same issue.

jwalls

Vendor
Gentlmen; Today I put in an order for a Kelly Green derby at D bar J here in Las Vegas, St. Patrick's Day will be upon us before you know it. I'll post pictures as soon as it is finished.

jwalls

Vendor
While going through closets at the old family homestead I found a Dobbs Fifth Avenue hat box(octagonal, black and gold). Gee, maybe a winner here. Inside no Dobbs but a Stetson Standard Quality Derby. John B. Stetson Company with Comfort above and what appears to be a feather below embossed on the brown sweatband. Backbow is royal purple with knotted and frayed ends. Paper rectangular size tag. Paper tag reading 6606 in red ink paper tag with red border reading E93058 stamped in black ink, red bordered table 5225 and a signature hand written in black ink. Sellers crest? WELLS & COVERLY INC. TROY, N.Y. No picture as I don't have a camera with me today. Do you guys have an idea about the age of this hat.

billysmom

One Too Many
jwalls said:
While going through closets at the old family homestead I found a Dobbs Fifth Avenue hat box(octagonal, black and gold). Gee, maybe a winner here. Inside no Dobbs but a Stetson Standard Quality Derby. John B. Stetson Company with Comfort above and what appears to be a feather below embossed on the brown sweatband. Backbow is royal purple with knotted and frayed ends. Paper rectangular size tag. Paper tag reading 6606 in red ink paper tag with red border reading E93058 stamped in black ink, red bordered table 5225 and a signature hand written in black ink. Sellers crest? WELLS & COVERLY INC. TROY, N.Y. No picture as I don't have a camera with me today. Do you guys have an idea about the age of this hat.

Not a clue. But we need to see pics ASAP! The suspense is excruciating!!! :eek:

Sue

Lokar

A-List Customer
I realised I never posted my bowler in this thread. It is black, although appears blue in the top photo.

It was a gift from my mother in law a little over a year ago, and my first proper hat. The felt is excellent quality, and the hat feels very stiff. The brim is curled a little more than the photo shows, it's just at an awkward angle. I have absolutely no idea on the age, unfortunately.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Lokar said:
I realised I never posted my bowler in this thread. It is black, although appears blue in the top photo.

It was a gift from my mother in law a little over a year ago, and my first proper hat. The felt is excellent quality, and the hat feels very stiff. The brim is curled a little more than the photo shows, it's just at an awkward angle. I have absolutely no idea on the age, unfortunately.

Great one! I´d put it somewheare 20ies 30ies. The Logo on the sweatband and on the liner might be a giveaway. It looks somehow art deco mixed with the traditional design.

Lokar

A-List Customer
That's a good point! My guess from the lining is that it was made in Karlskrona, but sold in Trelleborg by P. Borgquist. I've sent an e-mail to the Trelleborg library to see if they have any records of a hatter named P. Borgquist (this worked wonderfully with my top hat). If they don't, I'll try the Karlskrona library.

Lokar

A-List Customer
Very interesting. Quick points from that:
There's a hat museum in Trelleborg (I had no idea! I live so close to Trelleborg!)
A Mr. P. Larsson, born in 1842, was trained to be a hatter, and like many Swedish hatters, changed his name to "P. Borgquist". He died in 1901, and his son took over the company. It finally closed in the 70s, but the store and the hat factory were converted into the hat museum.

I must phone them and book an appointment - I can take my hat along, and if anybody can date it, it's likely them.

Thanks a lot Dreispitz - I have no idea when/if I would have ever found out about this museum if you hadn't posted that link. Your Google-fu is strong.

p.s. I'll drag my wife (and her fancy camera) along if I can, and get some photos of the museum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt