Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

Stetson Flexible Conforming Derby

size 7 3/8 Stetson Flexible Conforming Derby "Styled for the Hecht Company, Washington, DC" plus original Stetson hat box. Same owner as the Disney Fifteen. Looks like it was hardly ever worn.

4905225899_35a318cbbb_b.jpg

4905226331_ee9b355b48_b.jpg

4905815610_6229e533c1_b.jpg

4905816402_8fc018ee74_b.jpg

4905816258_e96b370d03_b.jpg

4905226995_16f8dee649_b.jpg

4905816058_e07226ea7f_b.jpg

4905227527_2f653fdd4b_b.jpg

4905227903_daaa9f5988_b.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
This one is my Stetson Royal, called 'The Vogue'. Someone who previously owned the hat wrote in the date "7-14-57" on the liner. I suppose that is when it was first purchased. In any case it is in fantastic shape.
Thought the coat looked best with it.
100_5838.jpg

And the liner.
100_5842.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones said:
This one is my Stetson Royal, called 'The Vogue'. Someone who previously owned the hat wrote in the date "7-14-57" on the liner. I suppose that is when it was first purchased. In any case it is in fantastic shape.
Thought the coat looked best with it.
100_5838.jpg

And the liner.
100_5842.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Wow! That was a great catch. The Vogue is one of my favorites in the regular fedora as well as the Bowler. The coffin lining is classic. You did very well finding that one. :eusa_clap
It does indeed look to be a bit older than the inside date. The crown is taller and the brim wider than something you would have found in 1957 that is for sure. They might have been available but it was not the usual form.
I have a very old Mallory from the early part of last century where hat is the opposite. A short crown and wider brim. if it were in better shape, I would include a picture but it needs a bit of work first. ;)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thank you guys! :) And thank you for the heads-up, good to know it is older than the written date on the liner. I was just presuming the ages by that date. Who knows if it was the first or second owner. In any case it doesn't look like it was worn all that much.

Cheers!

Dan

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I concur with everyone else. Other than the stitched sweatband seam, it looks more '30s. It could be early '40s. Very nice Derby!

Brad

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
You sure the 5 isn't a 3 instead? :D

As you can see the persons printing was neat.
100_5843.jpg

I do like the idea of it being older though. Whoever had it kept it in really good shape & most likely never wore it. Plus the leather of the sweatband is still soft & supple. It was one of my ebay wins that I was utterly surprised to have won a couple of years back. I think I got it for around $45 or $50.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones said:
Wow! :eusa_clap That is really neat. Do you ever get the opportunity to wear it? Would dig on seeing those pictures too. Well done! :eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

Thanks! :) I am sure the Bowler will get some use but not sure about the accessories. :)

galopede

One of the Regulars
I play the squeezebox, called a melodeon over here, for a Gloucestershire morris dance team who are dancing away just out of the shot.

The team is named after an ancient oak in a wood near where we practise and you are right, they are supposed to be leaves. Other morris teams have ribbons on their bellpads, we have the leaves.

The bowler is for looks as part of the kit but mainly to keep the sun and rain of my follically challenged head! It also gets borrowed for collections from the unsuspecting public.

The rest of the team are bare headed, except the Squire who has an ancient, battered Christy bowler a size or two too small for him that looks like a pimple on a hay stack!

Gareth

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany