Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Those pictures of Bowlers are fantastic, i own dunn & co normal and lightweight both, wonderful hats, but for my money, the hardest of all to find is an original pre war Lock and Co bowler, they have a different shape when looked at from the front and back, and are definately a 'hard' hat, and were 'conformed' to the buyer just as a similar period hard shell topper would have been, I'm privileged to own a dove gray lock bowler, and a gray top hat, I only now need to visit St James St. and get them re conformed to my head shape, lovely. when i get it done I will surely post some pics

Watch out! Bowler/Derby felt is stretched with a lot of tension and stiffness and old one's are easily split open which can't truly be repaired. Be sure the felt is still resilient and not dry--

G. B. Borsalino Fu Lazzaro & C.

G. B. Borsalino Fu Lazzaro & C., size 6 1/2 Punti. Could be 1920s early 1930s. This one is in good condition and from the other Borsalino.

5238014747_fb0a6bc092_b.jpg

5238018725_241ecb3648_b.jpg

5238622346_9a328bb15c_b.jpg

5238597246_4e4611d17f_b.jpg

5238627916_d32bd67d0f_b.jpg

5237999859_48f7833e72_b.jpg

5237999735_796431ae42_b.jpg

5238596544_075e7521ae_b.jpg

Last edited:

DRB

One Too Many
mayserwegener , I am a real sucker when it comes to those pleated liners. ooohhh soooo nice.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Early 1900s Stetson VENTED Bowler

Got this one a couple of weeks ago. Its my first vented bowler. I love these old Stetson sweatbands. They remind me of a pig skin football. Maybe they are pigskin and not cow or horse leather. I'm unsure. Its funny though how these pre 1930's sweatbands are still so flexible and pliable and will usually do so without cracking. Where many of my hats from the 1950's have cracked and rotted sweatbands that need replacing.

DSC04556.jpg

DSC04555.jpg

DSC04554.jpg

DSC04557.jpg

DSC04558.jpg

DSC04559.jpg

DSC04560.jpg

DSC04561.jpg

DSC04563.jpg

DSC04564.jpg

1950s Stetson bowler that came from the Kleinhans Company in Buffalo, NY.
I've had it for a couple of decades... first time wearing it out of the house.

derby_day.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, Your Stetson is Super!

Thanks Steve!! I love the old Stetson sweatbands. They just seem to have held up so well through the years. The texture seems to resemble a pig skin football I own. I wonder if the old Stetson sweatbands from the teens-20's were made out of a different kind of leather besides cow hide.

Josh, Probably sheep skin but probably not cow hide. In most cases Bowlers, Derbies, Melones were comformed to the owner resulting in some real strange openings :). For example the G. B. Borsalino Fu Lazzaro & C. of mine has a very round opening. Stetson Derby sweats are self conforming so they usually don't have that type of problem.

Last edited:

Viseguy

New in Town
Hi, new to The Fedora Lounge, and just found this great thread.

I recently bought a Christys' Bowler (my first bowler/derby) and love it -- am wearing it everywhere, at work and at play. I may eventually want to have one made to order, and I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who will fit it using a conformer -- the way Art Fawcett does for fedoras. Art suggested I contact Graham at Optimo (which I haven't done yet). Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't read all 54 pages of this thread (yet), so maybe the information is already here; if so, apologies.

Welcome Viseguy!... I can't advise about a custom built bowler, but if you enjoy hunting vintage, there are many to choose from on ebay, often at very reasonable prices. Post a picture of your Christy's hat when you can.

Viseguy

New in Town
Welcome Viseguy!... I can't advise about a custom built bowler, but if you enjoy hunting vintage, there are many to choose from on ebay, often at very reasonable prices. Post a picture of your Christy's hat when you can.
Alan, thanks. Some of the vintage bowlers pictured in this thread are stunning, for sure. My hesitation about vintage, though, has to do with fit. It's a bit dicey, isn't it, online? When I bought the Christys' bowler (online), I ordered a 7-1/2, which is my fedora size, but it turned out to be too big, so I exchanged it for a 7-3/8. Easy enough with a new hat. How would that work with a vintage hat on eBay? I don't use eBay much; can you return things you've won on auction?

By the way, I bought the Christys' from Village Hat shop; there's a picture of the hat here.

Last edited:
Bowler Derby

The beauty of these three Stetson bowlers is in the subtle differences: from top down, ventilated 1920s, a soft 1950s Royal Deluxe Stetson and a very rigid 1940s Royal Stetson DeLuxe.

3bowlers.jpg

From the side, the bows are more elaborate in the older hats:

3bowlers2.jpg

bowlerbows.jpg

The 50s hat is soft enough to crease as a homburg:

50sbowlerinside.jpg

The 40s liner:

40sbowlerliner.jpg

The 20s linerless inside with tin initials:

20sbowlerinside.jpg

20sbowlerliner.jpg

20sbowlersweat3.jpg

20sbowlersweat.jpg

The 20s hat is in pristine shape... a little more difficult to wear than the later models though:

al_derby1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic