Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
"Nifty" is about the right word for it! A little gem-- wore it to work this morning. The brim is 1 3/8" and crown a little over 4, stiff build.
I guess I have some more back-reading to do in this thread about the difference between a bowler and a derby-- I've heard some say the bowler simply has a higher crown, while others attest that (since there are so many variations?), the difference comes down to the vernacular of where 'ya live.
Any other opinions or accepted definitions?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The difference, as you said, is where you live. Historically speaking, in America, they were Derbies, and across the pond they are known as Bowlers. Today, the best distinction is to call the hat based upon where it was made, so if it is American-made, such as C&K, Dobbs, Stetson, Knox, and so forth, call it a Derby. If it is Lock & Co. and such, call it a Bowler. Seems to be the fairest, most accurate way to describe them.

In my study of Derbies, one of the mysteries I've been trying to comprehend why the name Bowler is more persistent in America these days and the name Derby has fallen by the wayside, unless you are old enough to remember when some people still wore them. Why has the English term seemingly won out? The only theory I have is that the Bowler is still more associated with Britain today than the Derby is with America, and where it has persisted longer in the culture, it has influenced our terminology in America because of that culture's portrayal in our media here in the States.

Anyway, I'm on a crusade to get Americans to call them by their proper name.;)

Brad

buler

I'll Lock Up
Hummingbird Felt Derby

Its a hummer! Found this near mint Hummingbird Felt derby today. If it weren't for a little reed greening in the rear, this could have come off the production line today. I know I've seen this mark before, but can't find another reference to it....
Taped rear and rolled edge sweat. Large union sticker. The crest on the mark seems to have a 'C', 'H', and 'T' in it.

B

hummer_1a.jpg

hummer_2a.jpg

hummer_3.jpg

hummer_4.jpg

hummer_5.jpg

hummer_6.jpg

hummer_7.jpg

hummer_8.jpg

hummer_9.jpg

Its a hummer! Found this near mint Hummingbird Felt derby today. If it weren't for a little reed greening in the rear, this could have come off the production line today. I know I've seen this mark before, but can't find another reference to it....
Taped rear and rolled edge sweat. Large union sticker. The crest on the mark seems to have a 'C', 'H', and 'T' in it.

B

Fantastic find!

Viseguy

New in Town
This photo shows how everyone in those days wore hats to conform to the norm. Today, we wear fedoras to un-conform. So we have cross purposes of hat wearing over the generations.
This is true. I wear a bowler because I enjoy the look and feel (and history) of the hat; I probably wouldn't wear one if I "had to". I especially like dressing down my bowler. I've worn it with a parka in the snow (a case of literally dressing it down, as in "eider"), and more recently with a Land's End windbreaker and chinos. Perhaps because in its day it was worn by everyone from manual laborers to aristocrats, it seems to go well with both casual and dress clothes. At least, I think it does.

P.S. The hat on the seated gent in the photo is a stunner.

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
found this morning.

B

hummer_1a.jpg

Found this Hummingbird Derby in my iPhone search tag list this morning.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Early-Humming-Bird-Felt-Hats-Derby-1911-/250765046904?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a62c2f478

Looks great

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran