Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

kolchak

New in Town
Man I really love that rust brown Knox. What an awesome hat

I found a vintage G.A. DUNN & Co. bowler that I really like that fits and is in nice condition. It has a curved brim and high profile and is a lot different from the other two vintage bowlers I have. The construction and materials (felt esp) are def superior and it looks entirely different when worn - sits at a totally different position.

If someone here could help on dating the period it would be great!

ff8e4y.jpg

x2kytk.jpg

1zd53cg.jpg

oruruo.jpg

33tnrjt.jpg

2ewplbd.jpg

2vwtwde.jpg

9asb3a.jpg

Last edited:

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks pre-WW2. Great find and only 2 pounds, 10 pents when new! Does it fit true to the 7 1/8 size? Should fit like a 7 1/4 since its Brit sizing.

kolchak

New in Town
Looks pre-WW2. Great find and only 2 pounds, 10 pents when new! Does it fit true to the 7 1/8 size? Should fit like a 7 1/4 since its Brit sizing.

Its 57.75 cm. inside. Has a real roan leather band and I may put a little strip of cork inside to get it to sit a little higher.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Garret, the Knox is spectacular!

Kolchak, yes that Dunn does have an interesting profile-- way cool, and you look absolutely formidable wearing it. Is this one of the wider brimmed models? Gorgeous lid!

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Nice score! I am going to go out on a limb, and say 30's due to the liner logo, but as I am still learning how to date, I may be wrong! Again, what a nice hat, great price, and it looks to be in pristine condition!

kolchak

New in Town
Garret, the Knox is spectacular!

Kolchak, yes that Dunn does have an interesting profile-- way cool, and you look absolutely formidable wearing it. Is this one of the wider brimmed models? Gorgeous lid!

Thank you and thanks all! The hat has a 2 1/4" brim and a 5 3/4" crown height measured from where the brim meets the crown in the middle of the side.

Last edited:

kolchak

New in Town
Danny Boy - Great Stetson!
Here's something I just noticed - the brim is enough wider on my G.A. DUNN at the sides where it curls into the d'Orsay so that the brim then has the same 2 1/4" profile all the way around the hat. It looks like that Stetson is similar.

syzygywon

New in Town
my derby

I fell in love with the bowler I tried on at optimo's, but my entry in this catagory would be the stetson derby I picked up recently. It's a bit too small for me, but i plan on bringing it with me the next time I go to Optimo and see if they can block it and make it work for me. i'll add photos later.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Agreed, OCMH, agreed! The only issue with the hat is that the crown has dents, and the brim is bent on the left side, but in the end, I view these as some unique wear and added character!

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Thanks for checking the weights! It appears the German and Austrian makers produced the lightest ones. Your Herbert Johnson Bowler looks fantastic!

So far the lightest bowler I have has been 130 grams. I think you're correct on american makers not being able to get theirs much lighter than that.

I did see an interesting article concerning Woodrow bowlers advertising a 3oz model.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/84200717

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace