Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
New arrival. Late 60's/early 70's Failsworth.

Needs a brush and the brim reshaping slightly, but it's basically as new. Not stunning, but a solid enough bowler at a good price. Very similar in quality to the current Christy's standard fur felt bowler. Frayed ribbon adds a touch of interest, but it's not like the 30's frayed ribbons...

Wide-eyed stare.. :

ManofKent

Richard, looks great on you! Nice find in that good condition. England is that country for Bowlers!

Thanks - there are some really nice bowlers on the English ebay site, but not much in the larger sizes. If you're a UK 6 5/8 or better still a UK 6 3/4 you could build up an amazing collection for very little outlay.

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
new Derby

I just go in my fist Derby(this was as they said it was) I got it off eBay a few days ago for a very good price I feel. The inside of the Derby in side the crown the logo Berg Fith ave NY on the hat ban inside Palay's Mens Shop Milwaukee
Berg Founded 1864 Kashmir Finish the hat is size 7 on a tag but it fits me well and i wear a Med in most hats. It is brown on top but the under side of the brim is a
darker brown the top a lighter color. Silk/satin liner with the company logo and crest. it is very vintage and look's to
never been worn or used very little here are some links to pictures I took Not sure how old it is but is looks very well cared for..
Any info on it would help me get a better ideal of how old it may be. history on the maker would be great as I search and got nothing online.

Thanks
CC

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/cybercorsair/Newhats00_zpse858a350.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/cybercorsair/Newhats01_zpscdba2416.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/cybercorsair/Newhats02_zps5dacbfb3.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/cybercorsair/Newhats03_zps11f3cec1.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/cybercorsair/Newhats04_zps566dce11.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/cybercorsair/Newhats05_zps6630bd48.jpg

Richard, Your Failsworth looks great! I think you are right on with the dating.

CC, Super find with Berg! I am thinking 1950s but it's tough with Derbies. Maybe someone else will chime in.

ManofKent

Richard, Your Failsworth looks great! I think you are right on with the dating.

CC, Super find with Berg! I am thinking 1950s but it's tough with Derbies. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Thanks Steve - I'm pretty confident on the late 60's early 70's as I've another hat with the same label that is definitely of that period. These days they only produce wool ones, and the band and ribbon have been different for a number of years.

CCorsair - yes I'd estimate 50's, but whenever it was made it's a nice hat.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I just go in my fist Derby(this was as they said it was) I got it off eBay a few days ago for a very good price I feel. The inside of the Derby in side the crown the logo Berg Fith ave NY on the hat ban inside Palay's Mens Shop Milwaukee
Berg Founded 1864 Kashmir Finish the hat is size 7 on a tag but it fits me well and i wear a Med in most hats. It is brown on top but the under side of the brim is a
darker brown the top a lighter color. Silk/satin liner with the company logo and crest. it is very vintage and look's to
never been worn or used very little here are some links to pictures I took Not sure how old it is but is looks very well cared for..
Any info on it would help me get a better ideal of how old it may be. history on the maker would be great as I search and got nothing online.

Thanks
CC

That a fine-looking Berg Derby! They don't come up for sale very often, but then there weren't as many of them made, as Berg was a minor brand for Hat Corporation of America. F. Berg & Co. was originally an Orange, NJ, hat manufacturer known for soft hats, as most of the Orange companies were. Frederick Berg founded the company in 1864. In 1926, F. Berg & Company moved to Norwalk, CT, and in 1929 they were acquired and merged into Cavanagh-Dobbs, Inc., to become a subsidiary known as Hodshon-Berg (Hodshon was another acquisition). Berg was kept as a brand. Hat Corporation of America, the corporate successor to Cavanagh-Dobbs, continued to manufacture the Berg brand until 1972.

Your Berg Derby is from the late-'50s to 1960s. One clue is the Kasmir Finish stamp, which was a trademark of Champ Hats. Champ Hats completed their acquisition of Hat Corporation of America in 1956 and merged themselves into the larger corporation. The Kasmir trademark was expanded to many of the Hat Corp. brands, including Berg.

There was also an American Derby revival that started in 1958, peaked around 1959, and continued into 1960. The few remaining hat manufacturers by the mid-1950s had pretty much quit making Derbies, or turned them out in very few numbers, and the old-time, labor-intensive manufacturing and curling methods had been abandoned in favor of modern methods. Yours still has nice proportions, unlike many produced during that time. Derby production picked up during those few years of the Derby Revival, but dropped off again after the fickle tastes of fashion moved on.

Enjoy your new treasure!

Brad

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
Thank you very much . I had hope it was older but seeing after it got here i could tell it was bit newer I finger the 40'0 or 50's. It very fine adn well made hat. There is demand for real well made hats that are vintage or made as they were by the people doing Steampunk Costumes. I found they are looking for any thing the can of Vintage in hats and it is starting to show on ebay as many of the estate people get thing to sell on there are pushing vintage hats and this one came up low on bids i grab it as if some who got it that was into Steampunk it would have has make over.. I like it as is.. Seeing a lot hats popping up now due to this demand for the costumes people wanting them adn will to pay some big bucks ..I got this for around $50 due to shipping it $35 for the hat shipping added to it.. Still i feel it was great deal and is adding to eclectic hat collection. Any Ideal to care and all I brushed it lightly off some dust and it seem very clean and never used or very lightly used there is signs of some nibbles from some bugs on the liner and under the brim but nothing major . I know hats kind of drop off in everyday after 62 with people emulating Kennedy's non-hat wearing I was born in 1960 my self i know my father had tons of hates(he love hats ) but i think unlike me need them more for the lack of hair as his thinned out as he got into 30's adn 40's ..i didn't have that issue and didn't start in to hats till a few years ago just because i felt it was good to wear them adn they work for keeping my head cover in the sun.. i just wear mainly a cheap Scala right now Well some what cheap at $25 I think i paid.. it's crush able hold it shape and works for me.. I started adding other hats in the last year and start looking vintage ones on ebay ..first to maybe grab some for re-sale to those Steampunk costume people as I said they PAY very well for good Vintage hat and things then i just kind of getting ones for my self.. I think this one fits well and looks sharp and can't wait to show it off to people..

Again Thank you for the in all of you love the forum here have some other stuff i will post on i need help figuring out will do that in the proper place ..

Thanks

CC

Garrett

Bowler Bonanza

Browns

Blacks

I wanted to show the profiles of these old beauties...such a variety in styles.

Denton

One of the Regulars
What a treat! Garrett, thank you for posting these. I especially like the "Knox Style" hat. The design on the "Young Brothers" sticker is lovely too.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Charlie's bowler has an interesting brim curl.

Vevey, Lake Geneva:
xidk.jpg

kolchak

New in Town
Bowler Bonanza

Browns

I wanted to show the profiles of these old beauties...such a variety in styles.

I love that rust colored one third from left - looks like a beauty!! That's exactly the type I hope to find someday

At Optimo today - taking this 1920's high crowned Crofut & Knapp ultra lightweight in for cleaning -

2zdr9y9.jpg

Garrett

Those old C&K hats are real gems - likely the best produced in America. Nice find, Joel :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats