Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Arrived yesterday, what is that, that is a rarely Borsalino Melone, in that small package.
I was very happy and suprised about a Melone but what was that, the seller stuffed it in the to small package and the front brim was broken.
I could repair it, glue and hair for first aid, the next step is to work with more hair!
Here are the pics!

44i8.jpg

udn8.jpg

c42k.jpg

Tommy

One of the Regulars
Picked up a derby that appears to be old. it's the best fitting and dimensionally most appealing vintage derby I've located while thrifting. I'm thinking it's worth putting it through a rehab, I'd like to try rehabbing it myself, but don't know if that's really possible. I may have to have someone do it for me. I think it would be a good fall project for me.

For those who have done this or attempted it, any advice on approach and where to procure good ribbon, liner and sweatband? Is there a thread specific to working over a derby? Does the brim require a edge ribbon?

Both the hat and I appreciate your input, thanks!

Last edited:
J. Hückel´s Söhne Flexible Melone, Size 6 1/4 Point, Brim 2 inches, Crown 5 inches, Weight 5.46 oz, Very good condition with original box (missing lid). The liner color is a unique light magenta. Probably from the 1930s maybe the 1920s.

9854191195_7008a29dc9_b.jpg

9854209294_3b2c865ccb_b.jpg

9854275884_c19b9ce79b_b.jpg

9854489263_27f6dc8fed_b.jpg

9854106354_6f491d62de_b.jpg

9854552104_f3af69ae35_b.jpg

9854164446_5a0c4a847a_b.jpg

9854124355_78fc7e5c3a_b.jpg

9854181673_70343086f9_b.jpg

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
This one's an odd goose. This one was made after the art of the D'orsay curl disappeared stateside, as a result it has a homburg style brim and binding and a softer crown. I've seen the pencil curl brims on most modern bowlers, but this is something else entirely. I almost thought it was a homburg that just hadnt been creased before, but because of the crown shape, I think its fairly certain that this is a bowler.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Wow, beautiful. Definitely a derby, and certainly possesses most of the elements of the D'Orsay, with the sharp break on the side where the curl happens. Nice find!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Looks a lot like the Derbies you find from the Derby Revival of 1959. It actually started in 1958 and continued into 1960, but American manufacturers saw a brief flurry of rebirth for the style. The revival extended into 1960 due to the film "The Apartment," wherein Jack Lemmon wore one. As you noted, the art of curling was long gone by then, so these Derbies all feature a Homburg curl instead. The crowns of these Derbies were typically shorter than in the past, and were indeed softer, with far less shellac than the old days. There was also a sub-style during the Derby Revival called a "Demi-Bowler" that featured an even softer crown that could be creased if so desired.

Brad

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Looks a lot like the Derbies you find from the Derby Revival of 1959. It actually started in 1958 and continued into 1960, but American manufacturers saw a brief flurry of rebirth for the style. The revival extended into 1960 due to the film "The Apartment," wherein Jack Lemmon wore one. As you noted, the art of curling was long gone by then, so these Derbies all feature a Homburg curl instead. The crowns of these Derbies were typically shorter than in the past, and were indeed softer, with far less shellac than the old days. There was also a sub-style during the Derby Revival called a "Demi-Bowler" that featured an even softer crown that could be creased if so desired.

Brad

Thanks for the info, I think it's more than likely a demi-bowler. It takes a crease without too much effort.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Stetson Derby circa!

Can anyone on this thread help me date this derby? The size tag can only be partially seen because the liner edge is glued over the top. I can make out size 7 1/8 and some writing in pencil but I can't see enough to make it out. Even though the sweatband is in good shape, I didn't want to risk further exploration because of the taped back seam.

Hat measurements:
Brim 1 7/8" front and back; 1 1/2" on the sides; crown is 4 3/4"

photo4-8_zps2d1ec3c0.jpg

photo4-9_zpseb505631.jpg

photo1-349_zps9eb64cd1.jpg

photo-1011_zps1401f3de.jpg

photo-1106_zps632a5567.jpg

photo-1123_zps67411974.jpg

photo-996_zps77303b39.jpg

photo-1121_zpscc8001de.jpg

photo-1126_zpse257e23f.jpg

photo-14_zps7357b5f6.jpg

Last edited:

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Any hope for this one?

This is my buddy, Dirty Dan back when he was a youngster and sported a bowler.

DD, not being one to discard a hat because it has a little wear, wore it until he had to retire it. :D It now resides on a hook on the wall, a reminder of times long past. Thought you fellas might get a kick out of seeing it.:)

Dan is not in his late 70s, and I presented him with a nice little Knox bowler on his last birthday. ;)

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
Here is my Knox Extra Quality bowler sold by sole agent The Harvey Clothing Company in Tiffin, OH. I won it in a non-Ebay online auction for less than $70. I think that it was a steal.

From my research on the form, construction, seller, and Knox history I estimate the age to be from the 1910's. Can the more knowledgeable offer an opinion?

Aside from the curl, my favorite part of this hat is that it has the original price tag with the hand written stock number. Wearing it feels like wearing a time machine.

When I bought it, it was dented and filthy. In the auction photos it looked pretty darned sorry. Some steaming to clean it and repair the dents, and then brushing had great results. I considered a naphtha bath but refrained out of concern that it would damage the price tag.

The photos wash out the black color a bit. The truest color is shown in the photo of me wearing it.

sybubaty.jpg
qavy2asu.jpg
u3ehasad.jpg
usasaguh.jpg
5yvama9y.jpg
ga3ydyru.jpg
2e5a5uge.jpg

Matt Barnes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member