Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

A private label derby made for Concord, NH clothier Brown & Batchelder. Deeply scooped curl, 4 1/2" crown with very little bell, 1 1/2" ribbon without bow. Maker (union shop) is unknown. Lovely soft peach fuzz finish - 4 oz. weight. The previous owner (label), a lifelong resident of Chichester, NH died in 2012 at 92. 1910 or thereabouts.

B&B11.jpg

B&B12.jpg

B&B13.jpg

B&B14.jpg

B&B3.jpg

B&B4.jpg

B&B5.jpg

B&B6.jpg

B&B7.jpg

B&B8.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Also a rare binding (as usual, I may be complete wrong!). At least I haven't seen a binding on a bowler or homburg, that was "open" on the upper side of the brim. All, I have seen, have been folded over the seam and (on bowlers) hand-stitched on the underside. In any case ... as beautiful a survivor, as they come!

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think you are right... the only example of this construction that I have handled.

This binding style is commonly found on late 19th century toppers and bowlers. As to the ribbon width - I'm thinking mourning band (not always made of silk) given the width and stitch style (without bow). Having said that, usually the mourning bands are adorned OVER the regular ribbon and bow. So...still a mystery

Last edited:
This binding style is commonly found on late 19th century toppers and bowlers. As to the ribbon width - I'm thinking mourning band (not always made of silk) given the width and stitch style (without bow). Having said that, usually the mourning bands are adorned OVER the regular ribbon and bow. So...still a mystery

I have definite shortage of late 19th century hats for comparison... note to self to fix that. :) Concur on the mourning band as a temporary addition and usually covering a large portion of the crown (at least on top hats - less familiar with the use on bowlers).

Denton

One of the Regulars
What a sweet hat, Alan! If the ribbon had a bow, no one would be able to see it with the brim so high on the sides. What's most interesting to me is that the proportions seem well balanced even though the crown is short and the brim is folded in. Somehow the design works; the effect isn't overly compact.

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
I shared this on the "What hat are you wearing" thread, but thought it was worth posting here as well. Our dance instructor posed for a shot last night when we both were wearing bowlers. I don't run into another person wearing a bowler very often (well, at all), so I asked to get a picture.

Bowlers.jpg

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
I had a similar bowler in a darker shade of brown that was unfortunately a bit too small for me, which is now in Garret's lovely collection. It's without a doubt one of the more stunning bowlers i've ever had the privilege of seeing in person. When I saw this one pop up in my size I had to go for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy