Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Brad Bowers said:
The list so far:

United Kingdom: Bowler
United States: Derby
Germany: Melone
France: Chapeau mélon
Sweden: Plommonstop
China: 圓頂小檐邊黑色禮帽, 長禮帽

Who else can contribute?

Brad

Here is some more:

Dansk (Danish)
bowlerhat

Ελληνική (Greek)
καπέλο μπομπέ (θολωτό), μπόουλερ

Português (Portuguese)
chapéu-coco

Русский (Russian)
котелок

Español (Spanish)
sombrero hongo

한국어 (Korean)
중산 모자

日本語 (Japanese)
退役する

עברית (Hebrew)
הוציא לגמלאות מהצבא (מדוברת, בריטניה)

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Dreispitz said:
日本語 (Japanese)
退役する
That's not right.

The Japanese for "bowler hat" is:
山高帽子 (yamataka-boushi) or
山高帽 (yamataka-bou)

Both mean "high-crowned hat", funnily enough.

They were adopted en masse by those who could afford to do so during the 1870s, after the emperor proclaimed the abolishment of the samurai class and the move to western clothing for gentlemen. I guess they needed something to cover those shaved pates while the topknot grew out. [huh]

Incidentally, 退役する (taieki-suru) means "to retire from military service"; A 退役軍人 (taieki-gunjin) is an ex-serviceman. I have no idea what that would have to do with bowlers.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
boushi_mania said:
That's not right.

The Japanese for "bowler hat" is:
山高帽子 (yamataka-boushi) or
山高帽 (yamataka-bou)

Both mean "high-crowned hat", funnily enough.

They were adopted en masse by those who could afford to do so during the 1870s, after the emperor proclaimed the abolishment of the samurai class and the move to western clothing for gentlemen. I guess they needed something to cover those shaved pates while the topknot grew out. [huh]

Incidentally, 退役する (taieki-suru) means "to retire from military service"; A 退役軍人 (taieki-gunjin) is an ex-serviceman. I have no idea what that would have to do with bowlers.

Ah so desu ka!

The bowler hat, smart City suit, regimental tie and rolled-up umbrella are the "proper order of dress" for officers of some British regiments when not in uniform. So, the Bowler is an officer´s off duty accessory. Maybe, this is the context where 退役する comes from.

AEH

One of the Regulars
Lokar said:
Bolhoed (Dutch)
Bowlerhatt (Norwegian)
Melonik (Polish)
Melon şapka (Turkish)
Knalli (Finnish)

In Norwegian we also use the term "skalk", which also means the end (or start) slice of for example a bread or a sausage.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Brad Bowers said:
The list so far:

China: 圓頂小檐邊黑色禮帽, 長禮帽

Who else can contribute?

Brad

That is basically a description rather than a name that literally reads 'round top small brim black coloured formal hat, long formal hat'.

The correct Chinese is: 常禮帽 ('common/everyday formal hat')

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Charlie Huang said:
That is basically a description rather than a name that literally reads 'round top small brim black coloured formal hat, long formal hat'.

The correct Chinese is: 常禮帽 ('common/everyday formal hat')

谢谢!

Enig

New in Town
Argentina: Bombin

It's used in many other South American countries as well, as Bolivia and Peru. But the name is mostly referring to the type of bowler the women in those parts wear, I guess, though regular bowlers is also called bombin.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
The bowlers you all have been showing are amazing! This one is just a normal old Stetson bowler, but it's in great shape, and fits :). I've seen other 'Featherweight' Stetsons and also other 'Excellent Quality' Stetsons, but not the two designations together:

BowlerFront.jpg

BowlerSide.jpg

BowlerBottom.jpg

BowlerLogos2.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Certainly in "Excellent" condition, nicer than an ordinary Derby. Not too many of the bulbous-bell crowns seem to survive. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

buler

I'll Lock Up
Stetson Excellent Featherweight

Scott, here is another Stetson Excellent Quality/Featherweight. I posted it in your pre-40s thread.

B
exc_1.jpg

exc_2.jpg

exc_3.jpg

exc_4.jpg

exc_5.jpg

exc_8.jpg

exc_9.jpg

exc_10.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Robert - it's only the 3rd one I've owned and the other two were too small.

Buler - very nice! Looks like the same exact hat, but our tags don't match. I think they switched over to that circular logo in the 1930's, but perhaps before then.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
I've seen that liner before, but can't find it in my files. Is that your hat? Do you have additional pics? Thanks

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Stetson Excellent Quality Derby

Unfortunately it has split so I can't really wear it any more. I got this at a house sale in 1987. More photos:
3818787638_42cc4e99ba_b.jpg

4402029006_8020afaaf2.jpg
4401263163_d738a63b46.jpg

4401262365_b4587b6024.jpg
4402028374_dffd62c171.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
Unfortunately it has split so I can't really wear it any more. I got this at a house sale in 1987.

Just tell people your hat saved you from an ax-wielding maniac.;)

Brad

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Brad Bowers said:
Just tell people your hat saved you from an ax-wielding maniac.;)

Brad

... or you took part in a backsword contest ....

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bw5NIG1x-oU&hl=de_DE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bw5NIG1x-oU&hl=de_DE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred