Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cafe Racer/Motorcycle Jacket Thread

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Regarding zipper placement, I've got both an Aero with the zipper on the inside and a Buco J100 with it on the outside and I must say I prefer the outside placement. No REAL practical reason, I just like the look because it is a bit different, it might lead to less scratching of stuff but I wouldn't swear that that is a real advantage.

technovox

One Too Many
blueshieldsml.JPG blueshieldCU.JPG
Vintage "Shields of Toronto" - Blue, with Lightning sleeve zippers on bottom inside...dig the stock elbow patches!

PhilR

New in Town
I know that this site is more generally concerned with WWII/flight jackets, but I don't see why we can't have a thread for biker jackets (especially cafe racers).

I'll start with the teaser pics of my Diamond Dave Buco J-100 in seal/chocolate brown shinki horsehide. It should be here early next week, two whole weeks early. I think I might be excited:D:cool:

Wow, what is the drop on that jacket? I have a 42" chest and 32" waist, custom is the only way I can get a good fit. Looks like that one might work! Super nice jacket.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I think this qualifies...new Vanson Chopper with some custom mods. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
I got white gussets, a detach fur collar, and a silver/ grey contrast stitching and chrome hardware instead of brass to match the white etc.
I love it. I ordered it before Xmas so it's a taken a bit of time, but I'm very happy with it. It arrived this morning.

I think this qualifies...new Vanson Chopper with some custom mods.
I got white gussets, a detach fur collar, and a silver/ grey contrast stitching and chrome hardware instead of brass to match the white etc.
I love it. I ordered it before Xmas so it's a taken a bit of time, but I'm very happy with it. It arrived this morning.

Any chance of seeing the jacket worn? Looks spectacular but I wonder how all the white details work...

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Any chance of seeing the jacket worn? Looks spectacular but I wonder how all the white details work...

Will get some fit pics tomorrow. Had my wisdom teeth pulled out today, so I'm tucked in bed. Not sure what you mean re " how the white details work?" I just thought it would be a nice contrast....

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Isn't that pretty much a copy of the Buco J-100?

No. But the Buco pattern maker was a Brooks pattern maker. I prefer this to the Buco, which I also like a lot. Here's the back so you can see the difference. I also prefer the two button symmetrical collar of the Brooks.

Brooks 2.JPG

Will get some fit pics tomorrow. Had my wisdom teeth pulled out today, so I'm tucked in bed. Not sure what you mean re " how the white details work?" I just thought it would be a nice contrast....

I just meant, I've always considered contrast stitching and details - as seen on your jacket - but never quite dared to go through with it, is all. And get well soon man, I know how painful that can be.

dadonn

Familiar Face
Given that I'm incurable racer fan, this thread is one that I appreciate. I very much like that Shields blue jacket; think the relatively minimalist design of racer allows for colors and even two tones. Brimaco made a cool pattern, very long and I've seen them in two tones a bunch. I had a Brooks cafe racer in a size 50- vintage 60s- not a great fit for a tall guy. It was made of a pretty thick steer hide and when my buddy threw it on, he ended up leaving with it.

I've got that Diamond Dave modified J-100 that I'm still enamored with and another one hopefully being made as we speak. Since I have no particular attachment to original patterns, I decided to do the seal brown shinki in a d-pocket, taller mandarin collar and black accents. No zips on the sleeves- gonna rock the roller straps as seen on Goodwear's Ventura. Also, went with a big crown zipper, a #7 I believe as the #10's are impossible to find.

There's a beauty on ebay now that Diamond Dave posted- a size 42 J-100 made from the same horsehide that my first jacket is made of. Love the weight of it since it's heavy but not stiff. Someone should snatch that baby.

dadonn

Familiar Face
You got it. Glad to hear that- curious to hear your impressions. Personally, I like owning jackets from the bespoke, one man band type makers. I bought my buddy a Mark Fisher jacket on here some months back and he loves it. The one off stuff is kind of cool. No disrespect to any of the bigger outfits, aero and the like- just a personal preference.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I just meant, I've always considered contrast stitching and details - as seen on your jacket - but never quite dared to go through with it, is all. And get well soon man, I know how painful that can be.
Thanks mate, they were all add ons. I really like the original one aswell. Just thought I would jazz it up a bit. Doesn't look as tough as all black, but the stitching shows off some nice detail, and I think it came together pretty cool. I'm actually feeling pretty good. I think I was in so much pain before they pulled the teeth that my body is bloody thrilled they are gone...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner