Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cash Register I've mentioned.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I paid fifty dollars for it about ten years ago. Bought it in Tucson, AZ.
dscn0143mod.jpg

Note how the numbers rise. Not the standard flags: these spin as they go up.
dscn0147crop.jpg

It's a candy store register, so it doesn't ring higher than $3.99. Makes you miss the old days, don't it?
dscn0148mod.jpg

You have to push the $3, 90, and 9 keys all at the same time to ring up the maximum.
dscn0146mod.jpg

Underside of the cash drawer. Apparently, this register was once gray. Date is hard to read, but the last two hand-written digits are "42."
dscn0152mod.jpg

Lee

Cha-CHING!!

Jerekson

One Too Many
That is one swell piece of vintqage machinery.

Does it still work well, or is it beginning to deteriorate?

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Midnight Palace: As best I can read it, yes, I do believe it's 1942.

Jerekson: Yes, it works very well. The keys move smoothly and the drawer pops open quickly. And the "cha-ching" sound is wonderful! The only thing it doesn't have is the key, so I can't put any tape in it. (The change drawer is to the right in the first picture - I forgot to put it back in while I photographed it.)

Lee

This is my most prized antique. :)

Lee,

You might be able to get a key made? I worked at a hardware store years ago and people would bring me locks that they'd lost their key to, and we were able to make a new key based on the grooves on the inside of the lock. Its worth checking out at least.

Gary

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Midnight Palace said:
Lee,

You might be able to get a key made? I worked at a hardware store years ago and people would bring me locks that they'd lost their key to, and we were able to make a new key based on the grooves on the inside of the lock. Its worth checking out at least.

Gary

Good idea! And I could use the exercise, too - that thing must weigh more than seventy pounds. lol

I looked inside, once, by removing the bottom plate and sliding the drawer out. It was a mass of metal bars and springs so thick I couldn't see the top. You wouldn't believe the engineering that went into it. It's simply amazing to think that it was designed before computers.

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou