Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The casualization of the world

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I don't think that the disturbing thing is that this person is collecting these trainers, collectors will be collectors, even though to most of us they are ridiculous and without value, but the fact that these trainers were most likely made in some sweatshop in some 3rd-world country with the same materials and workers that are used to make a £12.99 pair of trainers on another floor in same sweatshop. They don't have value because they were carefully hand-crafted by master craftspeople of the finest materials, or because they are a rarity or the product of a limited resource, but because a multinational company intentionally limits supply to drive up the price. The second disturbing thing, of course, is that anyone would think it appropriate to call these monstrous-looking items "occasionwear".

You think $300-400 is bad for a pair of sneakers? Look up auction results for the Nike McFly 2015 shoes from Back To The Future. At upwards of $3000 a pair, your nose will start to bleed....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nike-Air-Ma...Men_s_Shoes&hash=item3a6dd3d1f3#ht_500wt_1352

The original auctions fetched prices upwards of $7000, but those were charity bids for the Michael J. Fox Parkinsons Research Foundation. The guy that paid for the pair in the auction above just bought them for himself. Yup.

$3,550! Crikey! I could get a Rolex for that amount -- for even a little less probably! lol

rue

I don't think that the disturbing thing is that this person is collecting these trainers, collectors will be collectors, even though to most of us they are ridiculous and without value, but the fact that these trainers were most likely made in some sweatshop in some 3rd-world country with the same materials and workers that are used to make a £12.99 pair of trainers on another floor in same sweatshop. They don't have value because they were carefully hand-crafted by master craftspeople of the finest materials, or because they are a rarity or the product of a limited resource, but because a multinational company intentionally limits supply to drive up the price. The second disturbing thing, of course, is that anyone would think it appropriate to call these monstrous-looking items "occasionwear".

I agree. My original problem with it was the fact that the kid considers them "occasionwear", but you made another very good point.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The article is about the sneaker collector. Compare the sneaker prices to guys here paying big bucks for used hats! ;)

I'll tell ya what's killing this world- dames in sportswear!

Quite right. We should not forget what we're doing on the Lounge, some of us being collectors.

On an aside, this article might bring into focus the tendency for a collector to purchase something only for the sake of having it, i.e. the sneaker collectors quoted could provide no real benefit to owning a pair of these sneakers aside from them being rare. Such is the tendency of a collector, after all.

Imagine for a moment how silly it must seem to some folks that we collect vintage appliances or vintage clothing. To most folks, that seems like throwing money away on a bunch of old crud no one wants anymore. To us, it's gold.

davidg

New in Town
"I'll wear them maybe twice a year for special occasions -- for a dinner or a graduation,"

read this

He may not think of wearing a pair of captoes to a graduation, but at least he has a sense of occasion.

I guess this just shows that the Stars are Right and Cthulhu will be rising from the deep to destroy the earth .. REAL SOON!

Undertow said:
Imagine for a moment how silly it must seem to some folks that we collect vintage appliances or vintage clothing. To most folks, that seems like throwing money away on a bunch of old crud no one wants anymore. To us, it's gold.

Though I think an important difference is that the value of much of what we collect is a bit more readily discernible, even in the eyes of a non-collector or non-vintage enthusiast, than a pair of sneakers. God knows, some of the stuff we've paid more than we should have for was probably purchased from the aforementioned category (particularly on eBay) who recognized that somebody (namely us) would be greatly interested in it and willing to shell out the bucks even though they themselves have little or no interest.

Last edited:

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
Bottom line. It's better to pay a lot for something that is quality and probably better supports your local economy, than pay a lot for something you're going to throw away in a couple years because it's worn out or 'out of date'.

There's stock in buying $300 leather dress shoes or dropping $400-900 on a tailored suit. Add hats to that too. And you wont even have to camp outside in 30 degree weather, or get crushed in a frenzy to keep up with the Jones'.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Though I think an important difference is that the value of much of what we collect is a bit more readily discernible, even in the eyes of a non-collector or non-vintage enthusiast, than a pair of sneakers. God knows, some of the stuff we've paid more than we should have for was probably purchased from the aforementioned category (particularly on eBay) who recognized that somebody (namely us) would be greatly interested in it even though they themselves have little or no interest.

I agree to an extent; i.e. we in the vintage community have a very broad palette, and thus others might appreciate many 'valuable' items we're after.

Unfortunately, one must concede value is in the eye of the beholder. At least as of late, I haven't seen many queues forming for vintage hats/suits/shoes/etc in my area. ;)

On the other hand, I'm sure we can all agree that common sense dictates tennis shoes are not a very good investment, no matter how "rare" and/or "cool" they are, whereas a well made suit or fedora from the Golden Era can last well beyond its years if maintained properly. In other words, we can draw comparisons based on overall quality - but certainly not value.

(Unless you formulate value based on quality, in which case, we're all in trouble because this discussion could go on all night!)

Fifty150

One Too Many
Personal taste in fashion, is just that. Personal. Just like music. We don't all like the same music. There's a new generation out there. They are in their own cultural existence. You try to convince one of the younger generation of the value in some piece of clothing from over 50 years ago. I would much rather have a new leather jacket, than to pay an exorbitant amount for an old one that fits too tight. To them, 70's is vintage, and 80's is retro. Wasn't it in the 80's that the sneaker fad began? Who remembers Run DMC singing, "My Adidas"?

I've got a feeling that the "formal" occasion this guy is going to in his sneakers, like a rap record release party, is somewhere none of us would go to anyway.

Edward

Bartender
Fwiw, much as it might trouble my conscience to buy from that company, I sure would be tempted to pick up a couple of pairs to turn around for easy profit, given the chance.

Regarding the Vanity Fair article, it makes some interesting observations, but the premise thatyou couldn't tell 1992 from 2012 at even a fairly superficial level is, frankly, absurd.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Tuxedo & Converse

I can remember back in the 60s and 70s, and probably the 50s, there would be some, usually Rock & Roll musician, who would show up in a tuxedo and Converse High Tops, always guaranteed to make the papers! Now it is just quant, with nary a eyebrow raised!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
The thing about this is that the company creates the demand by making them rare. In other collectables, the value comes first from the QUALITY being recognized, and then the rarity adds to the value. This is like Beany Babies and those dopey porcelain figurines of children kissing, and those equally dopey Franklin Mint "coins".
Your Chippendale chair will retain its value, these will crash some day.

Antique furniture has styles like anything else in design. Trying to sell a Hepplewhite right now would be an exercise in pain. It's very Swedish/Belgian right now. Gustavian stuff and old Mora clocks are going for twice what they did a decade ago... but other antiques have swung low, sweet chariot.

You can pick up some really nice pieces (quality-wise, and style if its your bag) for not very much money at all, if you like the antiques that are not doing so well as "in-style" - but heaven help you if you want what's in, before it's out. Best just to get what you like.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Personally, the most surprising aspect of the recent Air Jordan launch is the continued popularity of the Jordan brand, nearly a decade after his retirement. I guess people still want to Be Like Mike.....

I bet MJ never could have imagined when he signed with Nike a quarter century ago that the association would keep him in Gulfstream jets for the rest of his life.

mj-jet-3.jpg

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I have a feeling in a few years we will look back on these as the good old days, when people wore shoes every day not just on special occasions.

On the bright side, the scruffier everyone else gets the easier it is to be well dressed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider