Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cavanagh Club

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Even Cavanagh occasionally made ugly hats.

IMG_5126.jpg

IMG_5128.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Crofut & Knapp, too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VTG-Mens-Hat-Crofut-Knapp-7-1-8-Never-Worn-/270597451571

That hat just makes me think...
"It's a double-knit world, baby/and your heart is my goal/I'll pick the lock with my pet rock/to get to your bell-bottom soul."

It was a bad time for hats... and these were no longer the companies
they once were.

And BTW, it appears Dinerman is on Summer break. The board
is lit up with posts! Thanks!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
feltfan said:
And BTW, it appears Dinerman is on Summer break. The board
is lit up with posts! Thanks!

Right you are! Found four years worth of photo discs of hats I've owned and/or sold, and I have access to the collection now.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Here's my latest Boater. I wanted something to wear instead of my really nice '30s Dobbs, so I picked this up for a song. It's a 7 3/8 LO, my exact size, though slightly large, as most Hat Corporation hats seem to be on me. It's slightly large enough that I can't wear it in the wind.

The eBay auction showed that the sweatband was completely loose from the hat, so much so that it didn't end up shipping with the hat! I've not heard back from the seller on that yet.

I only wanted the original sweatband for reference, in case there are any tags on it. I was going to put a new sweatband in, as I've already done.

50sCavBoater1.jpg

50sCavBoater2.jpg

The hat needed cleaning, but it was mostly caked-on dust. I was afraid it was mold, but that turned out to not be the case. A soft-bristled toothbrush and a little bit of water did the trick, though you have to be careful with the water, as the gelatin used to stiffen the hat is water soluble. I didn't want to try any solvent other than water, because you never know how it might react to the threads that stitched the hat together.

A naphtha bath on the removable hat band did little to alleviate the stains on it, as seems to be the case on many Cavanagh hatbands I've tried to clean. There are a few holes around the band, but I don't think anybody's going to care other than me. So many people get a kick out of seeing me wear my Boater that they'll never notice the flaws.

As for age, the hat is no older than the '50s. There are no labels inside the hat other than the cloth size label glued inside the crown, but that's consistent with my '30s Dobbs. The straw on this Cavanagh is thicker than my Dobbs, and the stitches are not concealed as on the older hat. I've compared the two hats, but I can't tell if this Cavanagh was made in Italy or in Norwalk. I was hoping the sweatband would give a clue, as the later Hat Corp. straws ususally have "Made in Italy" stamped on the sweat.

My '30s Dobbs has a nice reverse taper all the way around the crown, but they were made on five-piece blocks back then to give them that taper. This one has no taper, and so doesn't look as sharp. The construction quality isn't as nice as the '30s Dobbs, either, but that's to be expected, as Boaters weren't necessarily a big seller by the '50s. They did experience a bit of a revival around the time of the '59 Derby Revival, as Hat Corporation of America pushed them in marketing. Perhaps this hat dates from then.

Still, for a cheap, wearable Boater that I don't mind beating around in, it will work just fine.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
skwerl-hat said:
I just won this black cavanagh 35.

Does anyone know if there is any difference in the felt used in a numbered cavanagh and an unnumbered cavanagh?

Nice Thirty-Five!:eusa_clap

The answer to your question is yes, the felt was different, but I can't really tell you anything too specific. I can give you a general idea, however.

The majority of Hat Corporation of America's hats were made from hare, coney, and rabbit fur (though rabbit was considered inferior, so it probably wasn't used much). Higher priced hats used a mixture of beaver and hare or coney, which is probably where your Thirty-Five resides in the lineup. The highest quality hats used pure beaver.

Each type of fur (beaver, hare, coney, and rabbit) was further subdivided by quality. Before the blowing process, the various types of fur and different qualities were mixed together to obtain the mixture that was necessary to produce the proper color or texture of felt that was wanted. Sounds like they had complicated formulas for their different felts.

Brad

Cracker

One of the Regulars
Barn fresh

I found my first Cavanagh in an antique store today, wonderfully underpriced. Does anyone have an idea for a date on this hat? The felt at the pinch is worn thin, the crease is right-of-center, the brim is wonky and slopes left-of-center, the sweatband (while still fairly soft) is cracked and peeling in places (and not stamped with store or model info), the ribbon is stained, and the bow needs work. But after a good brushing, tossing the ugly feather, and wearing it a while, I realized this hat has a lot of character, and I'm not going to do a thing to it but live in it.

P1050943-1.jpg

P1050944.jpg

P1050948-1.jpg

P1050949-1.jpg

P1050954-1.jpg

P1050955-1.jpg

P1050956-1.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Very nice find!:eusa_clap Cavanaghs with wide brims are fairly rare. This one is fifties, most likely early-'50s. Enjoy!

Brad

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I found my first Cavanagh in an antique store today, wonderfully underpriced. Does anyone have an idea for a date on this hat? The felt at the pinch is worn thin, the crease is right-of-center, the brim is wonky and slopes left-of-center, the sweatband (while still fairly soft) is cracked and peeling in places (and not stamped with store or model info), the ribbon is stained, and the bow needs work. But after a good brushing, tossing the ugly feather, and wearing it a while, I realized this hat has a lot of character, and I'm not going to do a thing to it but live in it.

P1050943-1.jpg

The way you're wearing it has a Spencer Tracy type vibe to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24