1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

The classic Cowboy hat?

Discussion in 'The Blue Book of Artisans' started by Yahoody, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Cornshucker77

Cornshucker77 One Too Many

Very nice work! Love the tooling you did!

Desert dog likes this.
  2. Cornshucker77

Thanks Bob, appreciate it!

BobHufford and Desert dog like this.
  3. Yahoody

Yahoody A-List Customer

I know what nice leather looks and feels like :) But I have neither the skills or the patience to cut and sew it myself. Proof of that is shown below.

[​IMG]

My favorite horse rig.
    [​IMG]

lwt, easy access belt holster
    [​IMG]

Picked this one up 30 some years ago. No maker's mark but truly another artist's work here.
    One of my favorites.

[​IMG]

4. Cornshucker77

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    I think if it does the job you want, and it keeps whatever it is suppose to hold in place, it is a good piece of work. I like them. The third photo shows more talent than I have. Using a swivel knife is not something I have tried. Cutting the designs it has is something DD showed in his work. That takes skill. :)

5. Cornshucker77

............and I like those pistols! The first one is that the Sheriff's model? No ejector rod or housing?

6. Desert dog

Desert dog Call Me a Cab

They are great looking rigs! Function and feel are more important than pretty! Although that tooled rig is beautiful!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

7. Yahoody

Yahoody A-List Customer

Yes indeed, 3.5" Sheriff's Model in 45 Colt. Handy size in a SAA revolver. With the bobbed hammer and ivory grips it was my favorite gun to ride with. Someone liked it way more than I did. Badgers, wolves or your own horse the most likely use here. If I can't get it done with five likely not going to get it done at all. So the ejector on the gun is no concern to me.

Now I carry a 4" with ejector, in 44 Special. Also like the traditional one piece walnut grips for durability. So I made up a pair. Nothing fancy but extremely durable. Blank was cheap and they were easy enough to cut out and fit. Still on the look out for another 3.5" Sheriff's how ever.

Wood grips and the inherent strength of the 44 Special in a SAA appeal to me. I have also fit a 44-40 cylinder to this one. As a 44 Special this one is a real shooter so that helps as well. Does the same with the 44-40 but shooting a 200gr bullet instead of my 240gr 44 Special hand loads you see on this target.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  8. Cornshucker77

I like it. Nice grouping too! :)

deadlyhandsome, RJR and Yahoody like this.
  9. Winston Carter

Winston Carter Practically Family

Nice thread. Since Resistol hat factory is right down the street I have bought many nice beavers in the last 40 yrs. I re-block, trim brims, re-style and such on new hats. I like a 2.75" brim so you know you have to do it yourself.

Yahoody likes this.
  10. Yahoody

Yahoody A-List Customer

Nice work! What is the caliber on your Schofield ? Curious as to how you like it and do you shoot it much?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Desert dog and Winston Carter like this.
  11. Cornshucker77

Hi Yahoody. The Schofield is 45 Colt. I haven't shot it too much. But I did hit what I was aiming at so I think it is a good shooter. A different feel holding it than holding a Colt SAA. The Colt fits better in my hand but the Schofield is so much fun and it is a classic looking revolver so I am happy with it.

Yahoody and Desert dog like this.
  12. Yahoody

Yahoody A-List Customer

Neat guns for sure. I had one back in the early '90s. A lot for me to afford back then and had to let it go. Been hankering for another...no clue why though :)

Cornshucker77 likes this.
  13. Yahoody

Yahoody A-List Customer

That has to be entertaining:) I am thinking we need photos !

Cornshucker77 likes this.
  14. Redshoes51

Redshoes51 One of the Regulars