Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Closet Door is Open - Lavender Ladies & Gents of the Golden Age of Hollywood

Much of the speculation about J. Edgar Hoover's sexual orientation stemmed from his close friendship with Clyde Tolson who was the FBI's assistant director as neither married, both rode to and from work together and spent their vacations together which doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Last edited:

dr greg

One Too Many
Homophobia has always puzzled me, because for every two guys doing whatever, there are approximately two women going 'spare' which surely ups the odds for your average guy out playing the field....and I do know quite a bit about this subject: at the age of 15 I was accused of being a fag by another student, and I'm just not, but I became the 'school homo' and was spat on, beaten by up to 6 guys at a time, humiliated in class, nearly raped by football players, insulted by teachers etc etc to the point where police had to monitor my parent's phone due to the death threats. It went on to the point where I left and never completed school. I went out to work in the adult world, left that town, and got on with my life and I have NEVER had anything to do with anyone from my school-years since, but here's the point of the story: in a bar one night a couple of years ago I ran into a guy who had been at the school but not really part of it all, and he told me the main ring-leader of the campaign had later in life become a frequenter of gay-bars and so forth, and when found out by his family, promptly hung himself...I'd have to admit to a certain inner sense of amusement at that after 40 years or so, maybe there is such a thing as karma...the moral of the story...beware those who doth protest too loudly......

rue

Homophobia has always puzzled me, because for every two guys doing whatever, there are approximately two women going 'spare' which surely ups the odds for your average guy out playing the field....and I do know quite a bit about this subject: at the age of 15 I was accused of being a fag by another student, and I'm just not, but I became the 'school homo' and was spat on, beaten by up to 6 guys at a time, humiliated in class, nearly raped by football players, insulted by teachers etc etc to the point where police had to monitor my parent's phone due to the death threats. It went on to the point where I left and never completed school. I went out to work in the adult world, left that town, and got on with my life and I have NEVER had anything to do with anyone from my school-years since, but here's the point of the story: in a bar one night a couple of years ago I ran into a guy who had been at the school but not really part of it all, and he told me the main ring-leader of the campaign had later in life become a frequenter of gay-bars and so forth, and when found out by his family, promptly hung himself...I'd have to admit to a certain inner sense of amusement at that after 40 years or so, maybe there is such a thing as karma...the moral of the story...beware those who doth protest too loudly......

I'm so sorry you had to go through that Dr. Greg. My son was a victim of horrible bullying and it's enough to rip your heart out as a parent. It sounds like you've moved on though and I'm glad :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I had a football teammate in high school who sprouted an erection in the locker room. He transferred schools pretty soon after as I recall. Kids can be cruel, especially in an all male environment.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh my. This is a really bad story. I also don't get it. Why do they hate gay men so much? It looks like theywould fear something. So turn gay too?
That's just stupid.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Who could Hoover trust other than his closest advisors?
As Richard stated, he prosecuted the vile scum of society, all of which probably wanted him dead because he was cutting into thier profits/lifestyle.
I've worked with workaholics, and maybe he was one.
Everything revolves around work, everything...because these people don't know how to unwind.
I was one years ago, but thankfully I took another position and settled down.
Scott, I wash my own clothes, iron them, even mix my own starch.
I kept my house neat before I got married, my cars, my clothes, everything was neat.
Was I or am I gay? No, not at all.
I agree that many feel if you aren't womanizing, or cussing with the guys, you're gay.
Not true...
Edited by me after reading your story Dr Greg.
I am very sorry to hear that, people in general can be cruel especially with gossip. Rarely does gossip have 5% of truth, if that much!

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And the civil rights movement.............

Hoover was a man of many contradictions -- his surveillance and attempted blackmail of 60s-era civil rights activists is well documented. And yet twenty years earlier, he had been the highest-ranking government official to speak out against the internment of Japanese-Americans during WW2, denouncing the idea that they were disloyal as ridiculous, and condemning the camps as a wholesale violation of constitutional rights. Sometimes historical figures are too complex for the molds we want to fit them into.

Which, I think, fits right in with what was said earlier about how modern culture wants everything and everyone to be either A or B, gay or straight, hero or devil, everything must be reduced to the binary or modern culture can't process it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
he had been the highest-ranking government official to speak out against the internment of Japanese-Americans during WW2.....
Washington officials will sometimes make bold statements in support of an issue while behind the scenes they'll sit on their hands, or in some cases even work against their publicly stated position. I'm not saying that's what happened there but with Hoover you never know. After all, he publicly supported all eight of the presidents he served under while at the same time investigating them in an effort to uncover any bit of dirt which he could use as leverage to maintain and gain power. He was very effective at it too; nearly a half century in power. In some ways very impressive but not really the type of conduct expected from the nations top law enforcement officer.

I am terribly sorry that you had to go through this.

I don't understand homophobia. I don't care what gays do behind closed doors, that's their business. Don't give a rat's patoot what they're doing. It seems that every guy who keeps a neat house and knows how to color-coordinate is put into that category. I have before, and I'm certainly not gay. I see it's happened to plenty of loungers here, as well. I think it's an excuse for people to not take care of themselves and their environment. 'Doing so is "gay"'.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm dying to see Naomi Watts do Helen Gandy.....wait....that didn't sound right.......

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I've suddenly become interested in the movie! LOL
Although that could also mean to get rid of her I suppose.
This might be a good movie because Eastwood is a great director IMHO.
I'll have to research the writer to see what else they did and how successful it was.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Betty White was gay.

I suspect the only way a woman would have been bedded by Betty White back in the day was if she happened to be caught up in White's flying tackle of whatever man's arm she was on at the time. [video=youtube;tAv0dD44Zo8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAv0dD44Zo8[/video]

Context.
ss-100506-betty-white-02.grid-5x2.jpg

Relevant citation : Well here is one of the funnier performances by her where she tries to explain to her family that her granddaughter is a lesbian. She proclaims, “You know if I could go back in time, I would les it up 24 hours. Believe me…one thing I would not miss, balls! Terrible little things.”

http://topcultured.com/betty-white-wants-to-be-a-lesbian/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner