Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Before cowboys got their "uniformed" hat, they converted a giant number of dress hats for the hard life on the plains. It'll take many many years for John and TJ to reach that number of conversions. Wipe your eyes and get back on the horse, Sir. You and your wrangler colleagues are still far ahead on points ;)
eh maybe. Back then things needed to be adapted because they weren't suited to "that" usage.
Nowadays things are not the same.

Joao,

Please read my note above.

You are correct that there is one less Resistol 100. That _is_ sad, but there would have been one less Resistol 100 in any event. This hat was more garbage than anything else when I bought it and put a little bit of my soul in it.

I'm more Hercules than Charon in this story, my friend ;-).

I'm not ushering this hat out of this world - I'm bringing it back from the next.
Even so... maybe I'll have one someday.

John Galt

Vendor
eh maybe. Back then things needed to be adapted because they weren't suited to "that" usage.
Nowadays things are not the same.

Even so... maybe I'll have one someday.

I believe someday you will, my friend. But I also think there is not world enough and time for you or me to have all of the hats we covet.

I sometimes think we would all be well advised to do as you have just done, and wear the hats we have to the beach while we still have enough vigor to turn the head of a pretty Sun Flower.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Conversions

I sometimes think we would all be well advised to do as you have just done, and wear the hats we have to the beach while we still have enough vigor to turn the head of a pretty Sun Flower.

Hey Mr. J G! I saw the beach picture he posted. Where was the pretty Sun Flower? ;)

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I believe someday you will, my friend. But I also think there is not world enough and time for you or me to have all of the hats we covet.
I don't know if there are much more hats I can covet. My choices are getting narrower, mostly "iconic" vintage qualities.

Hey Mr. J G! I saw the beach picture he posted. Where was the pretty Sun Flower? ;)
LOL

John Galt

Vendor
Joao, your white XDoubleX is in the block.

agu5uje2.jpg

I got it pretty clean, generally. I'm still hopeful I'll eventually get that staining from the old crease, and some sort of spill mark on the brim out.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
A little more tweaking on my Panama. I already changed out the crease and the ribbon on this thing. I just reshaped the brim to give it something of a Cowboy curl. Now I'm giving thought to changing out the ribbon again. I was considering an Orish or Campaign Hat style thin ribbon....still thinking....

Panama.jpg

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Maybe. Looks it's been folded in half. Prefer a more classic crease like the ones used on OR/whippets/stratoliners/...

Man Oh Man! You're hard to please! I did a Taco fold on that brim only because I thought you'd like it. I was going call it, "The Joao Stingy"! A stingy brim Cowboy hat! :D

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Man Oh Man! You're hard to please! I did a Taco fold on that brim only because I thought you'd like it. I was going call it, "The Joao Stingy"! A stingy brim Cowboy hat! :D
Yes, I am. I don't like the "taco" brim. I have 1 (one) hat with it and I don't like it, but it's 1 in the middle of 50 (sort of). It's like feathers on hats.
A stingy for me is a 3" brim hat :) Anything below that is a fez ;)

majormoore

Vendor
I have to ask on behalf of all of us who read that you like and wear wide brim hats, please let us know what you consider the brim width you call wide, I have seen hats with brims from 1.5" wide to 6 1/2"wide brims. But would really like to know and see what you consider the prefect width for you. I have had customers come in and want brims that I feel were to wide for the face and shoulders, and they pay the extra money for the wider brims, and when they return weeks later to pick up the hat and try on we see it 98% of the time in the eyes of the customers that they now see the brim is too wide, most have us cut it down then and reshape and love the new width on the brim, or they bring it back weeks later and ask to have the brim cut down.

Major Moore

Yes, I am. I don't like the "taco" brim. I have 1 (one) hat with it and I don't like it, but it's 1 in the middle of 50 (sort of). It's like feathers on hats.
A stingy for me is a 3" brim hat :) Anything below that is a fez ;)

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I don't know if you have "followed" me before but this is kind of a joke between me and Terry.

Apart from that, I've never had a hat with 6 1/2" brim, my widest is 5" and my narrower is 3". Have hats between those 2 measures like 3 1/4", 3 1/2", 4", 4 1/4", 4 1/2".
I like to see me with 4" to 5" brims, I tend to rotate those more than the ones with 3 1/2" or lower (and not wearing at all my only 3").
In your expertise eyes I don't know if those are too wide for my face, you can see pictures of my hats on the "What Hat Are You Wearing Today?" (I've been posting every day) if you need to "evaluate" me (if you need I can give you some or take new ones in the same perspective).
I probably would settle my limit to 5" because I tend to bump with the brim into things, like door frames.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot