Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Stetson Restore/Eventual Conversion

John in Covina said:
If it's badly faded when you do the rennovation, disassemble and turn the felt inside out as the underside is usually in better condition.
It's pretty badly faded. The underside is tan (you can see it in the second picture below) and the top almost looks like silverbelly. The sweat band looks like it was never worn.
Here are some more shots:
3bed51d3.jpg
be573e34.jpg

6cf96f5e.jpg
634efb88.jpg

It's too small for me to ever wear but I think it's going to be a fun project.

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
That can work out for you because when you have it down to the raw body you have an opportunity to resize it to your size.

I know from experience when you get them wet that you can easily increase a size or two, new sweatband of course. The westerns look a lot like they do at the factory when wet and the crown opened up.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Stetson Restore/Eventual Conversion

Here is my first DURING pic:
Crown punched out - partially brushed
95ed6c9d.jpg

And this after the first cleaning and brushing:
ce67edb1.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I finished my bailey. It is more or less back to its original function, but made wearable again, which it wasn't before.
Photo1-2.jpg

I had a cord lying around (came from my panama, which now has a 1/2 inch black ribbon), and somehow it just seemed right. I didn't need a fedora out of this hat any more (I have my squatter, and I just acquired an Open Road), so I went more country with it. This will definitely be my camping/fishing hat. And rain hat, should it pour.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Still working...

I cut down the brim and put a rough bash in it.
ca3eec29.jpg

Next I need to sand the brim, shape the brim, and work on a decent bash
b237dbd5.jpg

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
gtdean48 said:
Looking good so far. Nice work! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

:arated:

Rodkins,

From this…

d4d18f02.jpg

to this…

b237dbd5.jpg

…is impressive. I can’t wait to see what you end up with in the end. It’s the hats we can’t wear sometimes that are the most fun.

- B.J.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Thanks. I worked on it some more last night. The brim sanding went well but shaping the brim is turning out to be pretty tough. This thing is stubborn.

Jingo Mastapone

Familiar Face
Here's an Akubra Snowy River I found in an antique store cheap and decided that this qualified it for experimental modification. Edge binding is a slow and careful process but very rewarding!

IMG_2789.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_2788.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_2787.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Jingo Mastapone said:
Here's an Akubra Snowy River I found in an antique store cheap and decided that this qualified it for experimental modification. Edge binding is a slow and careful process but very rewarding!

IMG_2789.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_2788.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_2787.jpg

That's a very appealing bound-edge and hat color combination, great job with this one!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
How about some details on the edge binding?

Is that Petersham or what?

Single layered?

Did you hand sew it?

The results are great!

Good work, :eusa_clap

Sam

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
I just love your conversions,in my opinion they are by far the most dramatic I've seen on this thread and some of the most professional.I think I preferred the first,but being a porkpie afficionado I tend to keep my ribbon detailing very simple,for me wearing a porkpie most of the time I have them a little less 'showy', but that's just my taste and takes nothing away from the job you've done on these two,I've got to say Tom, SUPERB!How do you fancy doing me one in a 58 and sending it to the uk?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Well I decided to try and do another conversion of an old cowboy hat. This is what I came up with!:eek: What do you Gentleman think?:D

Well, hello porkpie hat! I like it.

Someday, I'd like to own a porkpie. Growing up near Muskegon*, it's almost a necessity.

-Dave

*Muskegon, Mich. is the location of Bluffton, the one-time actor's colony where Buster Keaton spent a good portion of his youth.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
While I don't completely "get" the bow treatment, the hat is, to quote the immortal bard: DY-NO-MITE!:eusa_clap

Great styling and the choiceof the ribbon color and width is great too.

It's exciting to see these old hats being put back into service, instead of ending up in a garage sale or toy box.

Good work:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap,

Sam

Tom-n-Perris

Vendor
Thank You bumphery hogart, David Conwill and Sam Craig for your kind words about my work. :D: Bumphery hogart as far as sending one to the UK just PM me and we can discuss the particulars of what you may be looking for in a Pork Pie.:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany