Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Did this one and gave it to a Lounger. A BCF Cowboy hat. It had a black puggaree, a four inch brim and a shallow center dent and shallow side dents.

You can see what I did to it. Trimmed the brim to 2 1/2". Did the brim edge binding, too. No liner inside.

P1000132.jpg

P1000133.jpg

P1000135.jpg

dean

bolthead

Way Cool Hat...

deanglen said:
Did this one and gave it to a Lounger. A BCF Cowboy hat. It had a black puggaree, a four inch brim and a shallow center dent and shallow side dents.

You can see what I did to it. Trimmed the brim to 2 1/2". Did the brim edge binding, too. No liner inside.

P1000132.jpg

P1000133.jpg

P1000135.jpg

dean
Put me on the "Super Impressed List" as well.

You did an Amazing job with the brim Dean, very professional. :eusa_clap

deanglen

Thanks guys. Labor of love. Brim binding is not impossible, just time consuming and finger exhausting work. And it's not a major professional job by any stretch, but good enough for my abilities. Thanks again.

dean

Nice job everyone

Nicely done guys. After I purchased a brim flange and stand I went about steaming all my ORs. Then I spotted my old medium brown-colored wool felt cowboy hat I've had for over 30 years. I took it down to my local western store, had the brim cut down to justa little over 2 3/4". Put it on the flange and steamed the bejeezus out of it. Let it set for several days, took it off the flange and flipped the front brim down. Left the Alpine bash on it and put a new 1" chocolate ribbon on it as well. It looked just only "OK". The edges had small "peaks" every so often around the brim that would not flatten, no matter how much steam and fingerwork I did. It must be one of the differences working with a fur felt versus a very stiff wool felt. Finally gave up and re-did the brim back to a Rodeo shape. It looks pretty sharp with the wider ribbon and narrower brim. Use when I'm at the farm in Virginia and also around here as a beater (removing snow, etc.).

I'm posting pictures soon of a new hatrack I built. There's a shot of it on the hatrack.

Keep more pictures coming

Duck

Practically Family
GentlemanFarmer said:
Nicely done guys. After I purchased a brim flange and stand I went about steaming all my ORs. Then I spotted my old medium brown-colored wool felt cowboy hat I've had for over 30 years. I took it down to my local western store, had the brim cut down to justa little over 2 3/4". Put it on the flange and steamed the bejeezus out of it. Let it set for several days, took it off the flange and flipped the front brim down. Left the Alpine bash on it and put a new 1" chocolate ribbon on it as well. It looked just only "OK". The edges had small "peaks" every so often around the brim that would not flatten, no matter how much steam and fingerwork I did. It must be one of the differences working with a fur felt versus a very stiff wool felt. Finally gave up and re-did the brim back to a Rodeo shape. It looks pretty sharp with the wider ribbon and narrower brim. Use when I'm at the farm in Virginia and also around here as a beater (removing snow, etc.).

I'm posting pictures soon of a new hatrack I built. There's a shot of it on the hatrack.

Keep more pictures coming

We look forward to seeing pics of the hat and the rack!! I need to come up with a hat rack myself:)

Duck

Practically Family
WildCelt said:
Whee! Now here's a group I can join! I posted my efforts here, and here's the final product:
cowboyconversion10nv1.jpg
cowboyconversion8xh9.jpg
Good job on the conversion, Wild Celt:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Welcome to the corral :D

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
This is one hat in which I don't mind hearing the "Dick Tracy" comments. It was a Bandera cowboy hat (fur). Peters Bros., in Fort Worth, has a nearly identical example. Theirs turns up in back (more authentic).

P1040164Bandera.jpg

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Jeff, Thank-you for the compliment.

This next one only said "Perma Felt Water Repellant Fur Blend," on the sweatband. I cut it down to a 2 5/8" brim and replaced the ribbon.

P1040166PermaFeltWaterRepellantFurB.jpg

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Hey, here's my entry...

A former "Western Fedora" by Beaver hats that was reworked by Jimmy Pierce. I don't have a before photo, but imagine a gray hat with plenty of taper, and a 3 1/4" brim, and a lovely gray "snakeskin" belt-type hatband.

GrayFedora3.jpg

GrayFedora4.jpg

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
RBH said:
Dutchman, that is a sweet fedora you now have. It would look great with a TVA in it! :D

It's a bit small for a diamond bash. It's the smallest (wearable :rolleyes: ) hat that I have. About 4 1/2" high crown at the very front. I've tried the diamond, but it just doesn't quite do right. Not enough material to make it really work.

Kind of a hobby I wouldn't mind getting into...taking ordinary cowboy hats and turning them into something more "presentable".... Like I have the time...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21