Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Bond,thanks for showing your work.Don't know if I'll ever try to do the edge binding.Looks like it's not easy.But if I do try you will have made it easier for me.Can't wait to see finished hat.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the compliment Dogman. This is my first try actually after having thought about how to do it for sometime now and since my hatter here is too busy to work on my hats I decided to just jump in and learn how to do it, not to mention I can now save a ton of money by doing
my own re working of hats. I also just learned how to sew my own liners together as well adding to my repertoire.
Best of luck to you if you should try it,and feel free to ask if you have any qs.

bond

Borsalino Misto Grey/blue came without sweatband or ribbon. Cleaned felt and need to put sweatband in yet , but the felt is perfect. I relaxed the brim edge as stitches were popped and flipped felt inside to out.
CEFC09B4-4087-40D9-8431-290B1671C5CB-2180-0000031E670FAFB8_zps415d62d6.jpg

01A576C8-EF2D-483D-8CA0-F3583B1E62F7-2180-0000031E71A32E48_zps10021da1.jpg

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Here is a Stetson Gun Club I did a while back,color is grey(bullet).Brim was cut to 2 3/4".Left the crown alone,front 4",back 3 3/4",sides 4 5/8".Ribbon is 1 1/2"marroon with silver stripe in the bow keeper.
2012-2013032_zps5edf17d1.jpg
2012-2013033_zps305cf888.jpg
2012-2013104_zps754593cd.jpg
2012-2013103_zps7578ef9f.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
That's good to hear. Thanks.

You know your conversions are always so "killer" looking, wish I had the "stones" to even attempt sewing on a edge trimming or even a new leather sweatband...but if I even attempted it would look like someone tied a sewing needle on a chicken and let it run loose! lol! Too shaky and bad eyes now.....but I can however still make a MEAN Martini! Weeeeeeeeeee Hawwwwww!

DOGMAN

One Too Many
bond,Chepstow,thanks glad you liked the color combo.Grey and red was my high school colors.Even though that was many,many,many moons ago.I live only 15 miles from from it and try to go to at least one football game a year.This year I will be wearing my hat.LoveMyHats2,I agree with you.Bond's conversions are killer. Wish I had the "stones" to try a sweatband or edge trimming.Maybe one day I'll try.

Miamibruno

One Too Many
I am so impressed by the quality of work done by the Loungers. But for the moment, I would like to pose a philosophical question. I have an idea how this group of converters will respond, but I spoke with my favorite hat shop owner here in Boston, and he believes as long as the body of the hat is whole, changing the liner, headband, ribbon etc. is not a big deal. However, if you buy an older hat - in my case a 1930s Adam - and some part, be it the headband, ribbon, or liner is not perfect, would you send it out to a hatter of repute for a remake (or do it yourself as many of you have illustrated so well), or would you try to keep the vintage components?

I appreciate whatever wisdom the Lounge can impart on this philosophical question.

I am so impressed by the quality of work done by the Loungers. But for the moment, I would like to pose a philosophical question. I have an idea how this group of converters will respond, but I spoke with my favorite hat shop owner here in Boston, and he believes as long as the body of the hat is whole, changing the liner, headband, ribbon etc. is not a big deal. However, if you buy an older hat - in my case a 1930s Adam - and some part, be it the headband, ribbon, or liner is not perfect, would you send it out to a hatter of repute for a remake (or do it yourself as many of you have illustrated so well), or would you try to keep the vintage components?

I appreciate whatever wisdom the Lounge can impart on this philosophical question.
I don't collect hats; I wear them.
If a vintage hat is not in wearable condition, it goes to a hatter for renovation. Liners can be removed & replaced fairly easily by me but not sweatbands.
Ribbons may or may not be self-repaired, depending on what I want the hat to look like. I try to keep the old sweats for "record keeping" & the old ribbons as well.
I look at the hat body as the base starting point & go from there.

bond

I agree with Toms comments, as a hat wearer and not a collector per say,I got into converting and repairing my own hats out of necessity as i just
didnt have the money to keep having a hatter do repairs for me, now having done alot of my own hat repairs and knowing whats involved I can truly
appreciate anyone that is in the Hat repair business, My hat is off to them.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Another conversion I did.This is a Rodeo King silver belly 10x hat.Was pretty dirty when I got it.Did a naptha bath that cleaned it up.took the brim down to 2 1/2",the crown is now 4 1/2" front and 4 1/4" back,sides 5".Put on a black 1 1/2" ribbon, bow with white stripe in keeper.Nice hat but not my size.Turned out to be a 7 1/8 seller thought it was bigger.I would keep it if it was my size.Probaly will sell this one. .photobucket.com/albums/tt61
2012-2013111_zpsdb9c94ff.jpg
]
2012-2013109_zpsc1068f86.jpg
2013hats101_zpsd9ab6c7d.jpg
2013hats100_zps300b8835.jpg
2012-2013111_zpsdb9c94ff.jpg
2012-2013091_zpsba9de7bd.jpg

Last edited:

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
Well done Dogman. I like that white strip in the bow. It really makes it "pop."

I have an old beater (and i do mean beater) in the mail on the way to me as my next project. I know it won't come out nearly as nice as yours but it will give me something to play with. It might end up as the nicest yard hat my neighbors have ever seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis