Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Amazing work, Josh! That sweat is impressive--the stitching alone is just amazing. Do you have a vintage sewing machine?

A

Thanks! I bought the sweat already stitched to the reed but I did everything else myself. I stitched the sweatband in by hand, I always do unfortunately because I do not have a vintage singer 107-1. If I ever find the proper singer to sew sweatband leather to reeds such as a 107w9 or 37-3, I will make sweats that are 2 1/8 inches wide like the early 20TH century hats. Wide sweats are much more comfortable than modern sweat widths.

Here's a thread I started about vintage Singers used for Millinery use.....

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?58160-Vintage-Millinery-Singer-Sewing-Machines-(Sweatbands-Binding-Ribbons-ETC)

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Wonderful job, Josh! You really nail that era right in the eye - and your ribbon-work has improved significantly. Very soon you could give up your day-job ;)

In the beginning of March, I'll have the pleasure of burning my own small rheumatic pizza-tongs on a lot of steam at Mike's shop. I hardly can wait, and seeing your beauty wasn't of much help lol

Last edited:

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Josh, everything looks brilliant on that one :eusa_clap Makes me excited as ever to see what you have in store for the project hat I sent you. Keep up the great work!

DOGMAN

One Too Many
This is a Resistol stagecoach it's conversion number 15 that I just finished.This hat was the dirtiest one I have ever found on Ebay.Also has a small moth nibbile.After a bath in naptha and some sanding it turned out pretty nice.The ribbon was badly faded.So it was turned over, and I reworked the bow and frayed the ends.Open crown 6 1/4",now front 4 3/4",back 4"'sides at highest point 4 7/8".Brim started at 3 1/2",now 2 5/8".2" ribbon,hat size 7 3/8.From-The Western Store-Texarkana,Texas.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
RBH,bond glad you guys like it.I was not sure if I would like the ribbon at first.But after wearing it for a couple of days,I think your right bond it is kind of cool.Plus my wife really likes it.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Busy thread this week!
Holy moly, Josh, you're unstoppable! The new Buckaroo looks great-- very nice work, and I think it suits you this way (hard for me to say without a slight pang over the original lol )

Dogman, you'd never know where that one came from, and wears so nicely on your head. Fantastic.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vintage Borsalino hburg conversion. Went for a thin ribbon look on this one. Ribbon treatment is replicated from a vita felt I had . Finger curl brim and pinch front. Nice moldable felt on this borso . Original sweat was shot , there was a stain I managed to remove too with some patience.
Color is Opal. Nos Vintage grosgrain is same.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Wonderful job, Josh! You really nail that era right in the eye - and your ribbon-work has improved significantly. Very soon you could give up your day-job ;)

In the beginning of March, I'll have the pleasure of burning my own small rheumatic pizza-tongs on a lot of steam at Mike's shop. I hardly can wait, and seeing your beauty wasn't of much help lol

Josh
Outstanding !
I love it

Josh never thought a 2 inch brim would look so good.
Well done!
Hope to see you back in Covington soon!!!!

Josh, everything looks brilliant on that one :eusa_clap Makes me excited as ever to see what you have in store for the project hat I sent you. Keep up the great work!

Very cool, Josh... Will you be running lace through the holes in the sweatband?

Wonderful work Josh

Josh,always enjoy seeing you work.That hat makes me wonder why I don't like 2" brims,the hat looks great.

Josh, you're unstoppable! The new Buckaroo looks great-- very nice work, and I think it suits you this way (hard for me to say without a slight pang over the original lol )

Great projects Dogman and Josh!

WOW!! Thanks SO much everyone for the wonderful comments about my newly converted hat!!! I absolutely love this hat. I have pretty much only taken it off to shower and sleep. Its sooooooo comfortable to wear.

Ole, you are going to LOVE Mike's shop!! Mike is an AWESOME guy and his shop is TOP NOTCH all the way!

Rusty, I can't wait to get back to Covington! I have been chomping at the bit to get back the minute I left. I am trying to plan a trip down there in the next couple months!

Garrett, I have big plans for your project! Its gonna turn out great! :eek:)

Alan, I originally wanted to run lace through the holes in the sweatband. That's why I stamped them out but the problem is finding the proper material to use for lacing. I went to JoAnne fabrics and anything small enough they had to fit through the holes, was way too thick and bulky. I have looked on a couple old hats of mine and the lacing seems to be VERY thin and delicate flat shoe-lace type material. I could use an old wind trolley which is light and delicate enough but they are often not long enough to lace a whole sweatband. That's why I just laced the rear seam using wind trolley material. With this hat however, I think I am going to leave this sweatband un-laced. Its a very lightweight hat and the holes in the sweatband give good ventilation for summer wearing. :eek:)

Jeff, I did love the curled brim of the original hat. I have to get some curling shackles. I need a couple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany