Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Brando11

A-List Customer
I don't blame them entirely. They told me the Drifter probably wasn't a great candidate for conversion and I had them do it anyway. In my imagination I pictured it turning out more like the Nostalgia I recently purchased.

Their attitude may have been a bit brusque, but then again, they were right and I was wrong.

Tom-n-Perris

Vendor
I have been busy working on another conversion. This is what I came up with and always gentleman let me know if I have hit the mark with this one.:D I am also thinking of putting this one up for sale in the Classifieds. I have to make more room for more hats to practice on so that I can improve my hatting skills. This a 7 1/4 size Pork Pie hat with a 2 1/4 brim and a 4 inch crown.

DSCF6269_2.jpg

DSCF6276_2.jpg

DSCF6272_2.jpg

DSCF6279_2.jpg

DSCF6281_2.jpg

DSCF6277_2.jpg

fmw

One Too Many
I'd say your hatting skills are coming along very nicely. From what did you convert it?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

WOW!! Excellent work. Ive done western conversions before, and nothing that you have done to that hat was easy. It took lots of work, concentration, and love to transform a western hat like that. I love the flange height on the brim. Beautiful work!!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here is a question. I just bought a Stetson 3x cowboy hat on E Bay with the intention to convert it into a fedora. Do ex-cowboy hats make good rain hats? I plan to pick up another cowboy hat or two for the same purpose if they serve well in the rain. I am assuming that because of the thicker felt they'll stand up to rain better than other hats. Is this correct? Also, what are you all paying generally for a conversation when you send it out to a hatter?

Here is a question. I just bought a Stetson 3x cowboy hat on E Bay with the intention to convert it into a fedora. Do ex-cowboy hats make good rain hats? I plan to pick up another cowboy hat or two for the same purpose if they serve well in the rain. I am assuming that because of the thicker felt they'll stand up to rain better than other hats. Is this correct? Also, what are you all paying generally for a conversation when you send it out to a hatter?

Western brims are stouter than fedora brims so the rain runs off better to me. The felt contains a lot more shellac so it does seem denser but not sure that it is. I cut down western & recrease the crowns myself, only send off for new sweatbands or ribbon work. HTH

Dano,

Most westerns, as gtdean pointed out are fairly stout, let's face it, they are made for the elements. I have not converted a Western, but I have had renovations done by Optimo.
I think a complete renovation is about $100. I have done this because I have purchased some very nice vintage fedoras from Ebay for a reasonable price, but they needed to be cleaned, reribboned or otherwise repaired. In my mind, for the price of the hat and conversion, I get a great vintage hat for less than what I would pay for a custom.

On the other hand, to convert an old cowboy hat into a fedora to use as a beater, gtdean may have the right idea, just do it yourself.

azhiker

One of the Regulars
I have had Henry the Hatter in Detroit do two conversions for me. Just let Paul (the owner) or Joe (the manager) know you want a 'renovation; it's $65, which I think includes shipping back to you. They remove everything, clean, reblock, replace sweat/liner if need be, install a custom ribbon, crease it. In their stores, they have several hundred years of custom hat craftmanship! I would not have anyone else work on my hats!
Stetson wragler, 8X
66983-m-0.jpg

after:

71256-m-0.jpg

71255-m-0.jpg

Stetson El Patron 30X

66276-m-0.jpg

after:

71379-m-0.jpg

71383-m-0.jpg

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have had Henry the Hatter in Detroit do two conversions for me. Just let Paul 9the owner) or Joe the manager know you want a 'renovation; it's $65, which I think includes shipping back to you. They remove everything, clean, reblock, replace sweat/liner if need be, install a custom ribbon, crease it. In their stores, they have several hundred years of custom hat craftmanship! I would not have anyone else work on my hats!
Stetson wragler, 8X

Great outcomes on those two. Reasonable price too.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I have been busy working on another conversion. This is what I came up with and always gentleman let me know if I have hit the mark with this one.:D I am also thinking of putting this one up for sale in the Classifieds. I have to make more room for more hats to practice on so that I can improve my hatting skills. This a 7 1/4 size Pork Pie hat with a 2 1/4 brim and a 4 inch crown.
DSCF6272_2.jpg

Wow great work Love the Art Fawcett Ribbon influence. Would love to have you convert one for me just like that one. Nice choice of ribbon.

icemanxxxv

Familiar Face
Fresh from the thrift store 10.00 bucks

DSCF0146 by icemanxxxv, on Flickr

Disassembled

DSCF0148 by icemanxxxv, on Flickr

Soaking for shaping and also getting cleaned I used Woollite and warm water.

DSCF0152 by icemanxxxv, on Flickr

Taking Shape

DSCF0161 by icemanxxxv, on Flickr

Brim Cut

DSCF0167 by icemanxxxv, on Flickr

As you may notice the shape morphed a bit from the original re forming as seen above. My youngest daughter picked the ribbon color. It was a choice between Grey Black Burgundy or Olive Green. I trust her choice she the artsie type and I think it gives it an outdoor flair for my fishing hat.

DSCF0179 by icemanxxxv, on Flickr

Last edited:

icemanxxxv

Familiar Face
Not sure about ribbon..

I wanted a contrast in ribbon just to jazz it up a bit. Being an outdoors fishing hat the olive green ribbon gives it an outdoor flair.(IMHO) It will look great with a size 8 black Woollybugger for a pin, or maybe a size 12 Copper John. The flash exaggerated the olive it's much more subdued in natural light.

icemanxxxv

Familiar Face
To Stitch or not to Stitch

That is the question. The hat ribbon that is. Should I tack stitch it to the hat? Seems nice and tight now. I still need to put the Hat liner in, but I thrown right now by this question.

DSCF0182 by icemanxxxv, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy