Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
So I take it you stretched it with the sweat still in it. If you were able to do this without tearing the sweat, and the hat is remaining in its stretched size, then bravo! From my experience, the next time I have to stretch a hat more than one size, I will remove the sweat first, and then sew it back in.

DNO

One Too Many
So I take it you stretched it with the sweat still in it. If you were able to do this without tearing the sweat, and the hat is remaining in its stretched size, then bravo! From my experience, the next time I have to stretch a hat more than one size, I will remove the sweat first, and then sew it back in.

I did stretch it with the sweatband in place. Frankly, I was amazed at how well it went and it seems to be remaining in its new size with no problem. Lucky. I seem to have a heck of time sewing in sweatbands. I've yet to do one decently, so I go out of my way to avoid it!

DNO

One Too Many
Thank you for your encouraging comments BR Gordon, hatophile, mikespens, randooch, EggHead, Dogman, JonnyO, Splintercellsz, Landman, Chepstow and Scottyrocks.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Borsalino homburg to fedora. Color is called "Rutinio". Haven't decided on a ribbon yet.
Trimmed brim as it was elliptical , steamed and brushed felt.
1AD10A45-68E5-4BCB-99DB-BFF4B4DD5867-223-000000313EA25C97.jpg

E270C287-C02B-4E39-94B1-E49ECFD07353-223-0000002F339A79B8.jpg

thespoiler

One of the Regulars
Here is the finished product of my American Hat Co. 7 1/8 western. I cut the brim down to 2 3/8" and added a 1 1/2 ribbon of maroon grosgrain against the ivory, almost white, felt body. The crown is 4 1/2 with a teardrop. I think it came out quite well. First time I wore it somebody asked me "where can I get a hat like that?".......made me feel pretty good....I have several other westerns I plan to convert. One is a Black 100% velour 7 1/2..First western I have seen all velour....will make a beautiful hat I hope

Hat1.jpg

DSC02185.jpg

DSC02181.jpg

DSC0218

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Bond, you sure made that rumpled old weary traveler look spiffy. Nice work, and the steaming/brushing almost completely hide the brim binding stitch holes.

thespoiler, that looks marvelous. Another run-of-the-mill western transformed!

Cicero

A-List Customer
I bought this fairly wide brimmed Stetson some time ago.
It's a great hat but i can't wear it because the brim is too wide for my face.
Reason enough for a little 'make over' dont you think?

The first picture is how i bought it, second and third is my work.

As i said earlier, the hat doesn't match my face.
So i had to do a conversion if i wanted to wear this fine hat.
And this is te result.
I removed some 1.7 inch from the brim.
Leaving the hat with a brim of 2.3 inches.
This is the result.

And the final stage after some remodeling. (with a mule kick at the back)

Last edited:

DNO

One Too Many
This one was an easy conversion...no brim trimming, just a lot of steam and the application of an iron. Oh, and a hat band change.

I found this great condition Akubra Down Under at a local thrift store:

Screenshot2012-11-16at101513PM.png

After some steam, etc., it became more of a city hat. I've rebashed a few Akubras and have found that many of them just don't have a lot of crown to work with (Stockman and Pastoralist) but this one was great.

downunder3a.png

downunder4.png

Akubras are such a pleasure to work with. I've found the felt to be particularly cooperative. Here's the reshaped Down Under on the ole noggin:

downunder5.png

Last edited:

DNO

One Too Many
Thanks, Manfred. The ribbon came from the Bailey western hat that I converted to a fedora. I showed that one a few postings back.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good work guys. Randall ,with nearly every conversion I do where its necessary to remove the brim binding iam still not able to make the holes disappear completely .
Has any one found a way to work the felt to cover the holes satisfactorily ?

Landman

One Too Many
DNO, great job on that Akubra. They are easy hats to work with because they are so well made. I usually spray distilled water on them instead of steam and then take my time and mold them the way I want. I actually do that when shaping a brand new Campdraft. The felt looks real spotty when it is wet but once it dries it looks just like it did out of the box. I wouldn't want to try that with a new Stetson or any other new production hat. I had a new production Stratoliner that looked awful after just being in a light rain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy