Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dance Snob

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
BigJohnSpecial said:
At times I flat-out ask "Why are you even here?"

How rude. They're there to have fun, just like you. Maybe they just showed up one day because it seemed like it might be a fun place to go and try to learn something new and fun and maybe meet some nice people. I think it would be a shame if they met someone who was not nice and they decided to blow off the whole scene. We all had a first dance once.

Also, I just want to say that dresses are pretty and fedoras are cool, and that's great. I will stand by that statement 'till the day I die.

xoxo,
BV

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
Gotta agree with you there, BV... I like wearing vintage, and I showed up to my first swing dance dressed up... but couldnt tell you a thing about what the Savoy was, or name many bands either. I would have been pretty put out if someone asked me "why are you here" if I wasnt a walking encyclopedia on swing dancing, music, and the culture that stems from it my first day. Even now, after I've learned a little bit, I still dont know everything... and I wouldnt be able to hold a conversation on why Benny Goodman is different than Glen Miller.
I thought this conversation was about anti-elitism within swing?

-Jess

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Elitism within swing is a bad thing. But then again, so are red polyester zoot suits and patent leather spectators. :eusa_doh:

A fine and (to me) accurate opinion, Marc. But I think the words "within swing" might have been extraneous. :)

Tin Pan Sally

I agree, Marc, we can't afford to be elitest, there aren't enough of us! Most dancers in Phoenix play nice and learn from each other.
BJS dresses vintage most of the time, so I'm not sure what his beef is today. He must have had a bad cup of coffee this morning.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
Elitism within swing is a bad thing. But then again, so are red polyester zoot suits and patent leather spectators. :eusa_doh:

phew... those *are* bad! ^_^ Actually... I've never seen that, but I think I'm going to see them tonight... in my <i>nightmares</i> :D

Guess we'd best get more well-dressed people out there to set a good example!

xoxo,
BV

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Do ya gotta be authentic??

At the risk of being smacked, what's the matter with simply shakin' your thang? "Freestyle," I'll call it. Neither Amapola nor myself "know how to dance," but we can wiggle and keep a beat. Is there anything wrong with that? Of course, generally I just snap fingers and tap feet. Fun for all, free for all, right?

ITG

Call Me a Cab
BigJohnSpecial said:
I'm always amazed by how many vintage-looking people wander into a swing night not knowing a thing about early big band music or the original dancers. One reason I've stopped going was the clueless gals with no rhythm who would try to strike up conversations with me. I'd mention Savoy, Shorty George, Whitey's and get a blank expression in reply. It was frustrating. I always wonder what motivates some people to show up if they have no interest in the history? Is it the cool hats or the pretty dresses? At times I flat-out ask "Why are you even here?"
That interest can come later, after an appreciation for the dance style is developed. Having too high of expectations can breed disappointment.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I applaud anybody who takes an interest in swing dance, or any dance for that matter....knowing the history is maybe helpful, but not crucial....to have fun is the main point of dancing

Viola

Call Me a Cab
What should one wear/know to go to one's first swing dance lesson/dance?

I'm not hoping to disguise the fact I can't dance, I just don't want to look a COMPLETE fool. I'm sensitive! :eek:

I'd like to get through the evening without anyone thinking, "Wow, I wonder what's wrong with that girl."

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
A.... victim *sniff*

In Texas in the early 80's, my cousin and I wanted to practice 2-stepping and an occasional polka in the worst way (Louisiana Saturday Night, Cotton-Eyed Joe). But the lovely Texas ladies would have none of dancing with a clumsy yankee.

*sniffle*

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Viola said:
What should one wear/know to go to one's first swing dance lesson/dance?

I'm not hoping to disguise the fact I can't dance, I just don't want to look a COMPLETE fool. I'm sensitive! :eek:

I'd like to get through the evening without anyone thinking, "Wow, I wonder what's wrong with that girl."

I'm happy to hear you're interested in swing dance, Viola. Welcome!

Wear comfortable shoes, ideally with leather soles (to do turns easily) and laces or buckles (to stay firmly on your feet). If you wear a skirt, wear something under it that you wouldn't mind people seeing. Most girls wear pants.

As for not looking like a fool, to use your words, avoid exaggerating your steps. Take little steps, and don't pick up your feet too high. If you keep your feet close to the floor, you won't step on anyone. And don't look at your feet; it really won't help your dancing.

Your classmates will be focused on their own dancing, not watching you. Just have a good time, and keep your sense of humor. Then practice! If there's a dance afterward, stick around and dance with a lot of guys. To help avoid the dance snobs, just ask guys that you have a good feeling about, even if they are advanced. Good luck!

Vanessa

One Too Many
Paisley said:
Your classmates will be focused on their own dancing, not watching you. Just have a good time, and keep your sense of humor.

And if they are watching you, they're most likely watching your feet.

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
Dance...HA! I went to my High Schools' Homecoming Dance in October 2005. No one knows how to dance! More than half of the crowd was bumbing and grinding. It makes me angry because #1 its pretty much just simulating sex on the dance floor #2 its not even dancing. I don't know how to dance but at least I shimmied around with my date so it looked half-way like dancing. It was somewhat hard to do because I had to shimmy to rap. What ever happened to all that dancing I see in old films? My mom said when there was a dance people would dance and not just sit around while some other kids bumbed and ground. That was another thing! Alot of people never touched the dance floor! ARRRGGGG!!!

Tangoman

New in Town
My first post and I might have known it would be a dance topic to get me going!
Not sure how to get the quote thing going but ArrowCollarMan wanted to know,
What ever happened to all that dancing I see in old films?
Well it might not be quite the same, possibly better, but you should check out Argentinian Tango. It's also a dance that gives you a reason to wear sharp clothes and hats - what more could you want? check out this link (again, hope it works).
http://www.thetangolesson.com/?pageid=18481

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
ArrowCollarMan said:
What ever happened to all that dancing I see in old films? My mom said when there was a dance people would dance and not just sit around while some other kids bumbed and ground.

The Argentine tango is a beautiful dance. The quick step, the fox trot and the waltz are some other dances from movies you may be thinking of. If you don't want to learn all of those dances, you could try a class in social dance leading and following. Or if you want to do something more freestyle, you could take a class in jazz movement.

You have to consider the music that will be playing where you go dancing. If they play rap, learning hip-hop might be a better choice than fox trot. But then, as Artie Shaw said, some people can dance to windshield wipers.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
I've been flat out refused when asking a male (can't bring myself to call him a man) to dance. I don't know what his problem was, since I had been dancing with pretty much anyone and everyone that night -- experienced, raw newbie, and everything in between. I wasn't sure if he didn't like what he saw or if he was intimidated, but for crying out loud! [huh]

If there's one thing I've noticed and loathe about "The Scene" it is the folks who are there to perform. The last time I checked, dancing in a club was a social activity -- one requiring partners to at least look each other in the eye. Light conversation and smiling optional but recommended. I don't even enjoy *watching* people dance when they're so self-absorbed; they want to be seen, and that's all they care about. If you watch them, these are the people who look like they're out there dancing alone -- no connection with their partners beyond using them as an anchor point. It's disgusting. At least I never have to worry about being asked to dance by one of these creeps.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
BettyValentine said:
This is apparently a big problem in NY, from my very limited experience. My friends who used to dance in college went out to try to dance here a few times, but they don't go anymore because they encountered a horrible pack of "Lindy Snobs."

It is a pretty big problem here in north Texas, at least from my experience.

I consider myself an adequate dancer, but I'm definitely still learning. I pick things up pretty quickly because I have a background in dance, and I work at trying to pick up new moves and be a good follow. I'm not an expert but I wouldn't really say I'm a rank beginner, either. Lost yet? LOL! There is one particular guy at our regular dances who refuses to dance with anyone who isn't up to what he perceives to be his level. Once when I went with a group of friends, one even asked him for some pointers. He sneered at her and said, "I don't dance with beginners" and walked off. Nice. He asked me to dance once and hasn't ever again - I guess I wasn't up to par.

Personally, I believe that many partners of varying levels make you a better dancer. Plus, swing dancing is such a social experience, for me anyway. Even though I am married, my husband and I both dance with different partners all the time. I think if you are a more advanced dancer, you owe it to the other dancers - and the whole scene in general - to be more friendly and open and willing.

Caledonia

Practically Family
MissQueenie said:
I've been flat out refused when asking a male (can't bring myself to call him a man) to dance. I don't know what his problem was, since I had been dancing with pretty much anyone and everyone that night -- experienced, raw newbie, and everything in between. I wasn't sure if he didn't like what he saw or if he was intimidated, but for crying out loud! [huh]

If there's one thing I've noticed and loathe about "The Scene" it is the folks who are there to perform. The last time I checked, dancing in a club was a social activity -- one requiring partners to at least look each other in the eye. Light conversation and smiling optional but recommended. I don't even enjoy *watching* people dance when they're so self-absorbed; they want to be seen, and that's all they care about. If you watch them, these are the people who look like they're out there dancing alone -- no connection with their partners beyond using them as an anchor point. It's disgusting. At least I never have to worry about being asked to dance by one of these creeps.

Totally with you MissQueenie. The best times are when everyone lets go and just enjoys the music and the moves. I was once asked to jive, and couldn't get the hang of it at all. The guy was so rude about it and couldn't wait for the dance to end. I saw him all night just posing from one partner to the next - horrible! On the other hand, I asked an older gentleman to show me how it was done, and he was exactly that, a total gentleman, and we had great fun. Let's let everyone have a good time - dancing, whatever you dance, is first off one of the most basic urges we have from the onset of humankind, and probably before (just check out the great apes, horses, even a scorpion dances). Anybody who thinks they can't dance just needs to spend a bit of time alone with a bit of music they like, or maybe no music at all, and find their own beat. It might not be lindy, ballroom, latin, or whatever, but they have their own dance in their soul that nobody else can match. Wow, I'll come down off of that one now! Let's dance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy