Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dance Snob

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I agree - for me, dancing is about having fun! Swing dancing particularly. It is such a social thing that everyone should be having a ball regardless of skill level.

I took Irish dance for a looooong time, and subsequently taught it for several years. It is a lovely form of dance but very contrived. Technique is king. If your toe is turned in instead of out, or if your hand comes up out of place for one beat - the whole step is lost. Don't get me wrong, I love Irish dance... but one of the things I love about swing is that it seems to be more about attitude rather than following a regimen of specific steps and footwork. That makes it particularly difficult for me to deal with a dancer who is clearly "posing." Just my .02!

Caledonia

Practically Family
Always wanted to try Irish dancing. It's seems so simple and so complex at the same time. Really love the avatar - is it you? and what's the plane? On the to do list is to learn to fly, and learn to fly, well what? Suggestions anybody? I adore the biplanes, and how did those stunt girl's do that when they stood on top of the top wing - not exactly dancing, but what else are you going to do at that exact moment- they must have been freezing! Anybody watched De-Lovely (Cole Porter). Gorgeous film with fabulous costumes for ladies and gents, and some lovely dance scenes.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, Caledonia! Your avatar is lovely as well!

My avatar - yes that is me. I am a WWII reenactor and that is me wearing my WASP gear in front of a B-24. It was an event with several vintage bombers and some WASP veterans. A really neat time!

I have taken some flying lessons but do not have my license (yet). Perhaps one day, when I have more time! I've not flown in anything vintage. I love wingwalkers, too - growing up I always wanted to do that.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
MissQueenie said:
I've been flat out refused when asking a male (can't bring myself to call him a man) to dance.

One of my acquaintances said he was at a club in LA when he asked a girl if she'd like to Balboa. She said, "Yes, but not with you." Who is this acquaintance who was so rudely refused? A national-level lindy champ who teaches Balboa (and dances with newbies outside of class). So, MissQueenie, you are in excellent company.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Caledonia said:
The best times are when everyone lets go and just enjoys the music and the moves.

We must all find our own combination of effort and enjoyment. Without effort, you won't improve; without enjoyment, you'll take it too seriously.

What I'm about to say probably doesn't apply to the gentlewomen of the FL, but sometimes people can get a little carried away and aren't mindful of the other dancers around them. I once saw a girl bouncing so vigorously that it made the CD player keep skipping. Small steps are good when you're beginning, and are especially good when it's crowded.

Caledonia said:
even a scorpion dances

Funny!

Etienne

A-List Customer
This will probably sound a bit lame to some of you, but here's my question: My husband and I are going to be taking some swing dance lessons and we will both be beginners. We have not been accustomed to dancing with anyone else except each other for the past 40 years! Do married folks split up at these dances and dance with other people? I think I'd feel very strange doing that, yet I know if we're both beginners we won't be progressing very quickly...Am I just being old fashioned here?

Tin Pan Sally

Usually leads and follows will rotate during the lesson so everyone gets a chance to partner with all students. Everyone has a unique style, so it can be helpful. Some couples just tell everyone to skip on to the next person. It's fine to only dance with each other if that's what you want.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Etienne, you are not being old fashioned at all. According to Miss Manners, the matriarch of old fashioned manners, it used to be that married couples were split up at dinner parties and other social events. This was partly so that the conversation didn't turn to such subjects as whether their water heater needed replacing. She also says that a woman does not need her husband's permission to dance with another man.

As you yourself observe, your progress will be much slower if you don't dance with more experienced people. You'll both also miss out on some great dances and on meeting a wider variety of people.

If you and your husband find you nevertheless don't like dancing with others, you might consider, as Miss Manners suggests, staying home and enjoying each other's company.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Paisley said:
One of my acquaintances said he was at a club in LA when he asked a girl if she'd like to Balboa. She said, "Yes, but not with you." Who is this acquaintance who was so rudely refused? A national-level lindy champ who teaches Balboa (and dances with newbies outside of class). So, MissQueenie, you are in excellent company.

Is there by any chance a record of the girl's reaction when she saw him hit the floor? I imagine it would have been a sight!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
In my class that started last night, we all rotate partners, including the married couples.

Its just dancing and like the others said, you will get used to following more leads if you do dance with other people.

Then, practice more at home so that you know you can do the stuff you learned with your hubbie.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
MissQueenie said:
I've been flat out refused when asking a male (can't bring myself to call him a man) to dance. I don't know what his problem was, since I had been dancing with pretty much anyone and everyone that night -- experienced, raw newbie, and everything in between. I wasn't sure if he didn't like what he saw or if he was intimidated, but for crying out loud! [huh]

Sounds to me like the guy was a total jack@$$! Probably blind as bat too.:D

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars

I've never taken a dance lesson in my life but would love to learn... Matt will you be my dance partner at the QM Event...lol.

Seriously though I need to start learning some dance steps so I don't have to be that tough guy in the corner that says "No... I'm sorry doll I don't dance"

-DocIndyJones

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I am sooo glad to read that there are a lot of beginner swing dancers ! especially at the QM , I was afraid I'd be the only one! I got myself some tapes to learn at home and I was suprised to see there's a lot of classes around where I live...should be fun!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
My boyfriend suggested we take Jazz and Tap lessons. I thought he was kidding (as he is a big kidder). Anyway, when I asked why, he said it was because if we get married, he wants us to perform a tap dance. I started laughing so hard as he started humming the beginning of Singing in the Rain. I was like maybe we could do ballroom lessons since tap dancing would be a bit hard in a wedding dress. I'm sure he thought me a snob as I laughed for a good minute or two when I realized he was serious. LOL!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
so is he wanting to do a tap dance number during the wedding? :) That's awesome, he's interested in learning any kin d of dance! with my guy it's like pulling nails to get him out on the dance floor!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just been to my first Argentinian Tango workshop..! gasp!!!

Just been dancing with Andrea from Buenos Airies and I'm in love!!! With Tango!!! (although she was very tempting to be honest :)
And I cannot believe what a workout it is on the muscles!! Anyone who thinks this is for wimps...well just you 'try it' for a 3 hour workout, and then answer the question.
This dance (when you see it done well) has got so much attitute, expression, sensuality of the olde worlde type, you can wear a Fedora (I'm assuming, having seen pics!) and as Andrea my teacher for the two days said, "Paddy, Tango is a vertical expression of a horizontal desire!" (Yes, that just shut me up for all of ten minutes!). She and her partner Gato (means Cat in Spanish, and he did have a feline move around the dance floor!) concentrated on breaking down the moves to their most basic elements and practicing basics such as how to walk around the floor and transfer weight, etc...before then putting it into a dance move. Boy, you really work your body out (especially the abdominals guys!! now that's got to be good!!! Just think, in 6 months of this you could have a Baywatch figure!).
I've been going to a few different classes over the past few weeks, as I like to explore different teaching styles (different teachers just do thing differently!). I'm loving this, never thought I'd hear myself say this but it's getting addictive.
Don't know how you find dance classes in the US or else where in the world, but in the UK, there's always a shortage of men to partner up the ladies (which is real shame!, guys today just seem to have a hangup about formalised dancing for some reason). So, for me, there is never a shortage of young ladies (and more mature ladies too) and people of different abilities and levels williing to dance!!! Which means, hopefully my learning curve will be quicker (one hopes!).
Anyway, here's a wee photo of Andrea dancing (below). If you have the chance of trying out some locally run classes, give it a go I say! Seriously, if I can do it (and I'm far from good), then anyone can, just be prepared to laugh at yourself from time-to-time :)
TangoAndrea.jpg

ITG

Call Me a Cab
mysterygal said:
so is he wanting to do a tap dance number during the wedding? :) That's awesome, he's interested in learning any kin d of dance! with my guy it's like pulling nails to get him out on the dance floor!
Yeah, just tap dancing. I still halfway think he's kidding although he assures me he isn't and wants to do it to be different. I'd think after our swing dancing attempt he'd be afraid of dancing with me again. He's not a bad dancer and is a good improver as he has a more creative artistic mind. Me on the other hand am not an improv dance type and is more strategic/methodical in my thinking, which screws me up and takes some of the fun out of it for me.

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
Too many times have I seen the girl sitting on the sidelines waiting for a dance while the guys dance with those with which they are used to dancing, or those who they have seen are better dancers.

It kills the establishment. Regardless of how good a dancer you are, limiting yourself to those that you think are at your leval or above leaves many many ladies who wish to be part of the rest, swaying on the floor, left in a lurch of dispair.

I know competition dancers that don't want to taint their steps by lowering their standards to dance with a newbie, though if they don't dance with the newbies, how will the newbies improve? The problem I see is widespread. It's snobbery and it is a detriment to the scene.

Ask those girls to dance!

Just an observation and a request to the other guys who, as I, like to dance.
I can't believe i found this thread. It bugs me too that leads don't bother to ask you. They just want to look good and show off all the time. My friend is good, if he spots friends sitting around he'll ask them. It's nice to have a guy ask you, rather than me ask and feel desperate. I know so many ladies that go through the same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy