Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The DANDRUFF Thread

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
AllaboutEve said:
However the absolute best thing that I have EVER used is simply pure cold pressed Jojoba oil (you can get this from the same place as the shampoo on line). It is expensive for a bottle of 100ml but you only need to use about 5ml each time.

I used Jojoba oil when I streached my ears! So I have tons of the stuff. Never thought of using it as a overnight leave in....:rolleyes:

Hmmmmm THANKS!

LD

lindylady

A-List Customer
I've switched to the T-Gel and found that it helps a lot. I also try not to let too much styling product get into my scalp. If you don't wash it all out properly, it can aggravate the dandruff problem. This is weird, but I've discovered that I don't suffer from dandruff in the warmer months as severely as I do in the winter.

Rosie

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
See, a friend recommended the conditioner only thing, and I tried it for a while and after a while it made my scalp all gunky :mad: So back to T Gel I went. Im doing that now.

I feel you tho, the flake thing is so frustrating. :rage:

LD

Try diluting the conditioner with water, that may help. Lately, I've been using black soap diluted in water, that has helped a lot.

Lesvinyl

Familiar Face
I've recently bought a brush that claims to reduce dandruff. It may not be getting rid of it completely but i can vouch that it is drastically reducing my dandruff issue. It's called reduce dandruff made by Goody, and it appears that the bristlers are copper infused? somehow. Sounds like a crock but it at least feels nice!

GILDA

Anyone with color treated hair, dont use like head and shoulders or shampoos like that. They strip your dye out of your hair. I read an article that if you dye your hair and dont like it, keep shampooing with a dandruff control shampoo to get the dye out. Now on a natural means, and I use it....jojoba oil. Jojoba oil is an amzing oil. You can put it on your skin and hair and it absorbs instantly. Its not slick and greasy. Its like no other oil Ive seen. Their is a company called Jason. All they make is 100% pure haircare, face care ,soaps, etc. I use the jojoba shampoo and conditioner. I think its called Jojoba Scalp Balancing.Works like a charm and all natural. Its a white bottle with pink label. You can get a big bottle of the shampoo and conditioner on www.vitacost.com for about 4-6 dollars a bottle. I also have a bottle of pure jojoba oil that I put in my hair as a treatment. Its also used for pimples ! Go figure, put an oil on a zit and it goes away. It works!! It has to be 100% pure jojoba oil ( its pronounced hah-hoe-ba) No J sound :D

monicacaroline

New in Town
second burts bees

I get pretty flaky sometimes too. T gel is pretty good but I usually use Burts bees super shiny grapefruit and sugar beet shampoo and conditioner. No sodium Laurel/laureth sulfates and I cannot tell you how much better my hair got when I started using that instead of regular shampoos.My brother who has had really bad dandruff his entire life also uses it when his dandruff gets really bad.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I found this in a May 1941 issue of The Household Magazine:
003-1i9fql97.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
olive bleu said:
I honestly don't know if there is a permanent fix for dandruff short of seeing a dermatologist.

I shave my head.

I know it's not an ideal solution for you, I'm jus' sayin'....

Avalon

A-List Customer
Just wanted to mention that Queen Helene Cholesterol is AMAZING! I bought a jar over the weekend and tried it last night - my frizzy "halo" of split ends is GONE and my hair is soft and shiny. I have very long, wavy, coarsely-textured hair and it hasn't been like this in years! :eusa_clap Thanks girls!

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I ordered the Jason's Jojoba shampoo and conditioner. My scalp has been extra dry lately, and my black shirts are showing my flakes :( I don't know if it is hormones, my products, summer, or what. I will report my results. The products should get here in the next few days.

Reenie

New in Town
my mums a gp and she recommends SELSUN which you can buy in boots for a bout a fiver i think. It smells quite strong after you have washed your hair. not a bad smell . the dandruff kind of goes away for two weeks each time you use it but goddammit it never completely goes. i get it too. then sometimes it just goes for a whole year or something. then it comes back. i think stress plays a part but i wouldnt say i have much cause to be stressed most of the time so i dinny know....

good luck love!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Miss Brill said:
Did you try it mixed in shampoo?

I've tried it in shampoos but the dermatitis doesn't like it. I'd never apply it neat on my scalp.

The Faith in Nature shampoo seems to be working. I am flaky again today but I think that is from having too much citrus fruit lately which always upsets it.

Just a tip that citrus fruit can upset all kinds of skin problems from dermatitis to ecxema to psoriasis so if you have any of these problems you might want to try cutting back and see if it helps you.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
As I mentioned, I have dry scalp and the associated fine flakes, not dandruff.I have now been using the Jason Jojoba shampoo and conditioner for a week. I wash my hair every other day now (really trying to be nicer to it!). I see a difference already! My scalp doesn't feel tight and dry after my shower, and if I itch my scalp, I don't get tons of dead skin under my nails.

Last Monday, I wore a black shirt, and my shoulders were constantly covered with fine flakes. Today, I am wearing a black shirt, and even after vigorous scrubbing of my scalp, I only had one or two flakes!

The smell isn't the prettiest in the world, but it doesn't smell like dandruff shampoo, either (yuck!). I ordered it from this place for about half price and it arrived the next day. Of course, it only had to go from Florida to NC, but still, I was impressed. The total was about the same as if I went to a store, but I didn't have to go anywhere :)

So, if you just suffer from dry scalp, I would say give this stuff a try. It is mild, smells pretty good, moisturizing, and it seems to work for me!

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
:rage: I am having a horrible case of dry scalp. I think I am going to scream. I have already read back in this thread... but I don't even know where to begin!

I have tried cutting back on the shampooing to every 3 days or so. I have tried T Gel, Head and Shoulders and Aveda's Scalp Remedy shampoo and conditioner. I have been using it for about 3 or 4 months and all of a sudden it is getting worse. I have tried deep brushing to maybe stimulate natural oils, but nothing is working.

Maybe it is environmental or stress related?? HELP! I DON'T WANT TO BE A FLAKE WHEN MY HUBBY COMES HOME!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I find mixing up my shampoos every few weeks helps a lot. That way your head wont get too use to it too soon. I use one shampoo for a couple of weeks, then switch to another dandruff and etc. etc.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav