Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Decline of the Well Put Together Lady

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I don't get the PJ thing, honestly. When I was in college and overly stressed trying to manage two jobs and a full courseload plus, even if I rolled out of bed 15 minutes before class I pulled on a sweatshirt or sweater or a t-shirt and a pair of jeans. And I'm going to note, they were always clean- even if I didn't have money for the washer I took them into the shower and scrubbed them down the best I could.

Unless your house is burning down or you have to go to the emergency room or something, I can't see somebody going out of the house in PJs. Even when my grandmother had a stroke in the middle of the night and we had to go to the ER, I was woken up and given 3 minutes to get dressed and then help my mother get my grandmother dressed. My hair wasn't brushed or anything but I was clothed- we were all clothed. (I understand in some cases just flying out of your house to get in an ambulance or in your car with your loved one and you are still in your PJs., but not to go to the store.)

The whole idea of a onesie bothers me. How do you go to the bathroom?

Jannie

New in Town
I have a friend who has been known to pop out to the grocery store in a pair of plaid flannel pajamas with a long coat over them on the occasional Saturday morning. Hilariously enough, EVERY time she has done this she has run into my mother, who has given her the hairy eyeball. No one is fooled that they are in fact "pants".
Really, exactly HOW hard is it to put on a pair of pants?

Well, you could go to Shanghai and ask the people there. According to this article in New York Times, wearing a pajama in public space seems to have become more or less high fashion in Shanghai, which, however, the authorities – out of embarrassment – tried to make the inhabitants NOT pursue during the World Expo 2010. I don't know if they succeeded...!?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/17/opinion/17gao.html

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
A few years ago I was in hospital for an operation. When my husband came to take me home, I was still too weak to move much and, as I still had dressings on the wound etc., I was in my PJs.

Walking from the car to my house was one of the most embarrassing things I had ever done. I begged my husband to walk really close next to me to "guard" me from passers by. He found it very amusing but I was devastated. It was only a 50 yard walk.

How people can actually go out in public in their lounge wear is beyond me. I just don't get it.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Still, that is giving me major pause. You just drop the flap? I mean, what the heck? It's like wearing your insulated underwear out in public.

A few years ago I was in hospital for an operation. When my husband came to take me home, I was still too weak to move much and, as I still had dressings on the wound etc., I was in my PJs.

Walking from the car to my house was one of the most embarrassing things I had ever done.

I'm sorry you had that experience. :( I have gone out to the mailbox (which is like 5 feet from the door) in the dark late at night in my PJs and housecoat. But I'd be mortified if anybody saw me. Really, truly, mortified.

Last edited:

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Me neither. I am getting visuals that i wish would go away right now.

Can i own up to having worn pj's to do the school run in when i have overslept, or to nip to the shops for a pint of milk. I did put on a decent coat and some lippie though, as is do try to maintain some standards even when i am being slatternly. :D

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I love that - "Three Stylish Colours"........

Yes - they just ooze chic don't they?

No, they just ooze...

I love the guy that is coiffed like he just got out of boot camp (where the ForeverLazy would go over in a big way, don't you think?) and tossing a pigskin. Nothing says super-sporty he-man like a furry union suit with a drop seat.

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
My question is.... after PJs and onesies.....what in the world is next? Diapers?

Adult diapers exist...they are usually for fetishists though. Along with adult sized cribs and the like. I know the footie pajamas link that was posted is being marketed to the general public, but those I see being used on the fetish side mostly as well. Footie pajamas look cute only on my four year old. I could never see owning a pair for myself...I'll stick with my flannel pants and some socks, thanks. ;)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I am sure that it will happen someday. :( But it would have to be a lot warmer than it is here right now!

But- diapers are gross- I can't imagine willingly wearing them.

And don't people get overheated in footed PJs? I always did as a kid, my mother had to cut the feet off of them.

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars
On the topic ofpj's's in public.... any day at any given time (es, even Friday night!) I ventured the East Side of Providence (where Brown and RISD are) it's all I saw - girls in pj's. Except - of course - for when it's hot out: then you can see them strolling around in Victorias Secret Pink boyshorts... which aren't even Pj's. They're underware, dammit. Intended to go under your pants, not to replace them.

... and that is the story of why I never go near the Brown/RISD campus even though the better take out places are located there.

Tatum

Practically Family
Y'all are making me self conscious now.... I take the dogs out in the morning in my bathrobe and slippers, and usually enjoy most of my coffee on the front porch that way... Said bathrobe covers more than my full length coat, but now I might have to readjust my morning attire!

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars
In my humble opinion there's a huge difference between rolling out of bed in the morning to take the dog out to the bathroom... and going to, well, i don't know if those people I see sometimes actually go to class like that or what, or to the (busy) coffee shop, or to get lunch... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass