Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dessert Menu

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
For tonight I made a batch of blueberry muffins topped with powdered sugar. I know the sugar negates the healthiness of eating blueberry muffins... but I can't help my sweet tooth.

For tonight I made a batch of blueberry muffins topped with powdered sugar. I know the sugar negates the healthiness of eating blueberry muffins... but I can't help my sweet tooth.

Muffins have never been, in my 51 years on earth, about being healthy - maybe they've occasionally had a silly narrative about being healthy - but have always really been about being a wonderful baked good. Enjoy your sugared top as the muffins sound great, sugar in moderation is not unhealthy and we all are going to die someday and probably not from eating powdered sugar on top of a muffin.

That said, I tend to think of topping a muffin with sparkling not powdered sugar, but heck, a good muffin with sugar - any sugar - on top works for me.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Tomorrow marks the end of lent. Year on year, throughout lent, we abstain from everything that we miss. Alcohol, meat, chocolate, cakes and every sort of confection. Tomorrow we shall have roast chicken, with sage & onion, mixed with sausage meat, stuffing. A medley of roast Mediterranean vegetables, along with roast potatoes, a bottle of white Sancerre , chilled. And for dessert, I have made Profiterole sundaes: It's been a long lent!
ps.jpg

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Every Easter, I do battle with Cadbury Mini Eggs. I cannot resist their siren call. They are worse than crack! So I ate them for dessert tonight and last night and the night before that...

Now that I have a new kitchen, I'm hoping to start baking more and experimenting with some lower carb desserts.

Every Easter, I do battle with Cadbury Mini Eggs. I cannot resist their siren call. They are worse than crack! So I ate them for dessert tonight and last night and the night before that...

Now that I have a new kitchen, I'm hoping to start baking more and experimenting with some lower carb desserts.

My Easter crack are those stupid Russel Stovers marshmallow easter eggs (especially now that they make dark-chocolate covered ones). I cleaned out the nearest Duane Reade pharmacy - they got in about 20 a month or so ago and, in purchases of 4 or 5 at a time, I have now bought and eaten them all - so I had to widen my search radius and found some at a more distant CVS.

But that description might not capture the insanity of my taking time out of a reasonably busy day to walk a decent distance in search of a cheap chocolate-covered marshmallow egg. Did I have work to do, unanswered emails, other pressing things to address - yup; but I put those aside to find more stupid eggs. I am not proud of myself.

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
My Easter crack are those stupid Russel Stovers marshmallow easter eggs (especially now that they make dark-chocolate covered ones). I cleaned out the nearest Duane Reade pharmacy - they got in about 20 a month or so ago and, in purchases of 4 or 5 at a time, I have now bought and eaten them all - so I had to widen my search radius and found some at a more distant CVS.

But that description might not capture the insanity of me taking time out of a reasonably busy day to walk a decent distance in search of a cheap chocolate-covered marshmallow egg. Did I have work to do, unanswered emails, other pressing things to address - yup; but I put those aside to find more stupid eggs. I am not proud of myself.

Hahaha! Oh, how I can relate. :D I keep telling myself, THIS IS THE LAST BAG. But the next day, I'll find an excuse to buy more!

Mrs. Hawk and I had a discussion this morning about Easter treats, after she came home with a giant Reese's Peanut Butter egg. She absolutely hates the Cadbury eggs, almost as bad as she hates marshmallow peeps. Personally, I loved the Cadbury eggs, but now they are too sweet for me, so I stick to chocolate and jelly beans. I have to admit, I don't much care for peeps either.

As for Easter desserts, a traditional Southern ambrosia was always on the table at dinner (which was at 2:00, sharp)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The Cadbury Eggs with the gooey centers are WAY too sweet for me. The Cadbury Mini Eggs are milk chocolate in a candy shell. And the Reese's Peanut Butter eggs are awesome, too.

Spent Easter at the farm with our grown kids and grand-dogs. Tried to fire up Grandma's old 1930s wood stove to bake a rhubarb pie, but couldn't quite get it hot enough (some dampers were frozen in place). The stove is on a covered patio, but has experienced some rust since it was last fired up 15+ years ago. Had to finish it in the electric oven. Not pretty, but really tasty!

26010744912_94278f9e4a_o.png

25500667633_de5ce0c421.jpg

26103276875_76faa70cea.jpg

The Cadbury Eggs with the gooey centers are WAY too sweet for me. The Cadbury Mini Eggs are milk chocolate in a candy shell. And the Reese's Peanut Butter eggs are awesome, too.

The gooey center ones are too sweet - but what a great marketing hook, I have at least one a year just because I love to see the inside. And the Reese's Peanut Butter eggs are fantastic as they kick up the peanut-butter-filling-to-chocolate ratio (plus they look cute).

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I always am disappointed in muffins. I find them much too sweet for me, like cupcakes. I prefer a muffin thats a little bit sweet. I am always disappointed with a cake muffin. As a kid, it seemed like they were less sweet, but that's likely my imagination.

I always am disappointed in muffins. I find them much too sweet for me, like cupcakes. I prefer a muffin thats a little bit sweet. I am always disappointed with a cake muffin. As a kid, it seemed like they were less sweet, but that's likely my imagination.

My memory of muffins were they were less sweet and smaller, not the mega-softball-sized ones, one regularly sees today. Muffins filled a niche between bread and cake - sweater than the former, but not as sweet as the latter. But something changed in the last twenty years as muffins became these much-sweeter, gigantic cake-like things.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My memory of muffins were they were less sweet and smaller, not the mega-softball-sized ones, one regularly sees today. Muffins filled a niche between bread and cake - sweater than the former, but not as sweet as the latter. But something changed in the last twenty years as muffins became these much-sweeter, gigantic cake-like things.
I am glad it's not just me. I used to like berry muffins as a kid, but now I feel like you can't taste the berries because of the sugar. I went from liking blueberry muffins to hating them.

But then I also hate "sweet" cornbread (urgh).

As much as I like sweet things (and I really do), there's certain things I don't like sweet: bagels, muffins, cornbread, bread (excluding quick sweet breads, which I like slightly sweet), pancakes/ waffles, and biscuits. There's probably more.

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
I'm just pointing this out because the above picture reminded me, but...the strawberries this year have been absolute crap. They look like a million bucks, and they taste like a nickel. And it's mid-season!
Try this...take the caps off, put the berries on a cookie sheet, and then put them in a 210 degree oven for 3 hours. Delicious!

I have a recipe for grain free peanut butter chocolate chunk muffins that is to die for. It utilizes banana and only 1/4 c granulated sugar for sweetness.

I'm making homemade, dairy free chocolate ice cream tonight.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Try this...take the caps off, put the berries on a cookie sheet, and then put them in a 210 degree oven for 3 hours. Delicious!

I have a recipe for grain free peanut butter chocolate chunk muffins that is to die for. It utilizes banana and only 1/4 c granulated sugar for sweetness.

I'm making homemade, dairy free chocolate ice cream tonight.
Could you share that recipe? I'm interested. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner