Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The devolution of our society through fashion in just two pictures.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Appalling. :tsk: My question is,...how do we change the situation? Indeed, is it even possible to reverse the trend of heinous apparel??
I mean, this whole awful slovenly mode of uhh, "expression", started with a small subculture. Isn't it possible for this, our subculture, to eventually turn things back around someday,...somehow?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I remember when I was in school, the whole sagger phenomenon was in high-gear. All the guys were walking around with their trouesrs half off their asses. They were digging and hauling and mining their jocks like they were looking for butt-gold. God it was sickening. To this day I'll never understand it.

I palled around with the country crowd in school (go figure) and we didn't buy into this, in fact we mocked it all the time. We used to spend much of our free time beating up idiots who dressed like this. You live in a rural farming community, you ain't 'hood', buddy. They all drove around in their Grandma's LeSabres bumping bass, too. That's gangsta......

I remember when I was in school, the whole sagger phenomenon was in high-gear. All the guys were walking around with their trouesrs half off their asses. They were digging and hauling and mining their jocks like they were looking for butt-gold. God it was sickening. To this day I'll never understand it.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I found this on Facebook and had to share.
315839_1573919323364_1697002999_860372_272161265_n.jpg

Perfect, that's too true... The sagging pants phenomenon is alive and well, still going on around L.A. at least. At my community college, I even saw some of the more extreme versions of it being done, although never as bad as that picture. Can that guy be fined in L.A. for wearing his pants like that? Does anybody know the law over here?

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Can anyone guess which fella I hope has had a vasectomy? :)

Both of them, I should hope: the world is far too overpopulated as it is, the fewer people of any type who breed, the better! ;)

Yes, I see it every day in the neighborhood in which I work. I try to be objective and non-judgmental but it just looks so darn ridiculous to me.

Heh, it's strange, isn't it? I would at a time have been very quick to judge the hip hop kids, but of all the people who pay me genuine compliments on the street, they're always the first to do so, which has been humbling. The interesting thing is that when the hip hop boys do dress up, they really go for it. Great suits too. Too much bling and often too modern for my tastes, but still.

To be fair I have noticed that my son, age 23, and other young men are starting to dress up for certain occasions. And these occasions revolve around their peers. I think that a part of this is a rebellion of his dad's generations excessive casualness. I was mocked by my children for running around in old shorts and t shirts. It really wasn't that bad, mostly jeans and t shirts. ( I wear a uniform in my line of work, so I'm always properly dressed on the job.). So for the last year I have made the conscious decision to dress to much higher standard and set an example.

I've been saying this for a long time - it's inevitable. Fashion goes through ebbs and flows, swings and roundabouts. I remember in the mid-late Eighties it was fashionable for a whiel for boys to go out in a collar and tie, often even a blazer, trousers (not jeans), and the works. It'll come back. Maybe not in the way or in the cuts we like, but it will sharpen up.

As for those kids on the street that we don't get, well...... isn't that the point? I know when I was fifteen I didn't want middle-aged oldsters to 'get' me.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
:eusa_clap Well, if he tried running from the cops, he'd be pretty durn easy to catch - I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to cuff him, 'tho :yuck:.
Sadly enough, I wouldn't imagine he could get done except by the fashion police. I mean, he's more covered up than a girl wearing a greyhound skirt...

Icthruu74

New in Town
Police? Indecent exposure? Certainly fashion is in the eye of the beholder. I remember people complaining about Madonna wearing only her undies on stage.

Of course it makes it much harder to run away from the police when your pants are around your knees.

Edward

Bartender
:eusa_clap Well, if he tried running from the cops, he'd be pretty durn easy to catch - I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to cuff him, 'tho :yuck:.
Sadly enough, I wouldn't imagine he could get done except by the fashion police. I mean, he's more covered up than a girl wearing a greyhound skirt...

"Greyhound Skirt"?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Edward, looked it up

Greyhound Skirt

Very short skirt, that is, as in greyhound racing it is only an inch away from the hair.

She left for the bar that night with her greyhound skirt on, sure to get some much needed attention from the guys.

Love the description, wish I'd have thought of it myself, but then I don't get out much.

later

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Heh, it's strange, isn't it? I would at a time have been very quick to judge the hip hop kids, but of all the people who pay me genuine compliments on the street, they're always the first to do so, which has been humbling. The interesting thing is that when the hip hop boys do dress up, they really go for it. Great suits too. Too much bling and often too modern for my tastes, but still.

I agree- but change this to hip-hop dressed women (and some men too, but more often women). I get far more compliments from hip hopper strangers than any other group of strangers (if we are separating strangers by type of dress). I often get told I look so nice, like I am going to church, particularly by young ladies (around high school age).

I figure that at least with the baggy pants, the people are wearing real pants and not pajamas. Right?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I agree- but change this to hip-hop dressed women (and some men too, but more often women). I get far more compliments from hip hopper strangers than any other group of strangers (if we are separating strangers by type of dress). I often get told I look so nice, like I am going to church, particularly by young ladies (around high school age).

I figure that at least with the baggy pants, the people are wearing real pants and not pajamas. Right?

True but you know, I almost am half tempted to head to the frozen food section of a grocery store, find a nice long frozen fish, just to have to "slide" into the backside of the pants when I see anyone with their "pants on the ground".....lol!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Hip hop casual wear is today's version of the zoot suit, and garners the same reaction from certain folks.

But Marc, is there any chance that zoot zuits had been worn in such a manner to have one's "Heine" hanging out, pants half to the floor? I am not myself thinking that baggy clothing is horrible looking itself, but the manner of the pants being open like the trunk of a 1956 caddy, by hanging half to the floor!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
But Marc, is there any chance that zoot zuits had been worn in such a manner to have one's "Heine" hanging out, pants half to the floor? I am not myself thinking that baggy clothing is horrible looking itself, but the manner of the pants being open like the trunk of a 1956 caddy, by hanging half to the floor!

No, and I see your point ... but the zoot suits, though not heinie-exposing, were worn to similarly exaggerated extremes. The shoulders were outlandishly wide; the jackets were like corsets around the waist and ludicrously long; the trousers went practically up to the wearer's chest; the trouser legs had thighs which billowed like balloons, and cuffs so tapered and narrow that they sometimes had zippers for the wearer to be able to get his feet through them.

After World War II began, some people began to react very negatively to the zoot suit, claiming that it was a sign of gang criminality as well as being ugly (and sexually suggestive, of all things).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner