Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The devolution of our society through fashion in just two pictures.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
There are some adults you do see dressed like this, true!

However, in all honesty, some times adults will dress like very younger people just to make themselves feel young perhaps? You see that even in some of the "hollywood stars" that are older and wear things that only some teenager would normally be wearing!

rue

However, in all honesty, some times adults will dress like very younger people just to make themselves feel young perhaps? You see that even in some of the "hollywood stars" that are older and wear things that only some teenager would normally be wearing!

Yes. What they don't realize it that it makes them look like they are trying too hard. The other day there was a woman at the grocery that had on short shorts (butt hanging out the bottom), a very tight tank top and heels. She was 55 if she was a day!

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
I always get told I look like somebodys grandpa cause my pants are so high :lol: That's sitting on the navel by the way. Gotta hide this gut somehow, right. I wonder how many blokes with their pants at half staff get the same treatment in public...

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Twenties college boys wore ridiculous "Oxford Bag" pants, which trickled down to high schoolers by the end of the decade. This style is epitomized for you here by comic-strip favorite Harold Teen ---

Oh yes, Oxford Baggies. Scandalous! But at least there was some real tailoring involved in their design, so to me they appear almost conventional. Like dress slacks on steroids.
BIG pants made a big comeback around the late '80s,early '90s as I recall, but seemed to have survived to the present only in their denim and BIG shorts incarnations.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up

Makes it mighty hard for me to take them seriously. :wacko:

TidiousTed

Practically Family
We got to remember that things have changed as well, my parents generation looked at denims as work clothes and wouldn't dream of wearing it in public. The same with trainers type of shoes, that was for sport and training. If I'm not dressing up I wear Levis and black Reeboks, Convers All Stars or Gortex Timberlands every day. I also wear this if I'm out meeting customers or if they come to me. My parents generation wouldn't dream of doing this.

I wear my Levis with a belt though, I'm to old for sagging
:D

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Makes it mighty hard for me to take them seriously. :wacko:
Yes I agree. I think it really makes an adult appear as if they have some "thinking issues" when they dress like they are 14 years old! Can you imagine this "hello kitty" fad that is going around, and seeing some older adult wearing "hello kitty" clothing and a purse or something? All this to me, is beyond my understanding, but I guess it is going to happen with people as people are always different!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I always get told I look like somebodys grandpa cause my pants are so high :lol: That's sitting on the navel by the way. Gotta hide this gut somehow, right. I wonder how many blokes with their pants at half staff get the same treatment in public...

I know it you was hugging on some good looking Gal, you won't need to worry about hiding any gut....and if you are out and about dancing with her, you can lose some extra pounds as well. But all in all, unless you are over weight by a few hundred pounds, don't worry about it! We all have our "large" moments!

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
I know it you was hugging on some good looking Gal, you won't need to worry about hiding any gut....and if you are out and about dancing with her, you can lose some extra pounds as well. But all in all, unless you are over weight by a few hundred pounds, don't worry about it! We all have our "large" moments!

Pleated pants are a fat mans friend, but there are things in which pleats cannot hide...
However I'm not at that, "Oh my god" level of fat.

I'm guessing suspender buttons didn't come on his Sean John's :nono:
For as much as those cost, you'd think they'd stitch some on[huh]

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

For the low pants thing, it's not really an attempt to look young. Here, the attempt is to look 'bad.' Not a very mature way to dress in some people's eyes, but I look at this from a variety of perspectives - the dresser, the first-hand observer who values said fashion, the second-hand observer who may not value it, and then those who have only seen it in pictures, whether motion or still. Until you see it first-hand in its natural element, and understand that environment for what it is, it's hard to understand.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
O.K. I still want to drop a large long solid frozen salmon down the back side of someone wearing their pants at "half mast".....

VisforVictory

New in Town
Perhaps this is a thread that deserves to be split off...the most ridiculous, far-off, generic, commercial, generalizations that we hear when we take care in our appearance. As a photojournalist, I find it harder and harder to smile politely when I get "hey, Jimmy Olsen/Clark Kent/Peter Parker!" Likewise the "Al Capone" stuff. Of course, people simply don't care to hear a lecture about how there were millions of ordinary people who wore pinstripes and hats. Similarly, in my Civil War community, any male civilian who dares to wear the ubiquitous top hat is immediately thought to be Lincoln. Gangsters...ugh. Well, there's something to be said when even people who were lowlifes once took time to tie a tie, and a suit wasn't enough to distinguish you. Today, it's to my advantage, particularly in dealing with high-tension situations as a photographer...the cops are more likely to give the guy next to me a hard time, and give me a "heyyy, I like the look." Think of the psychology behind it...if you usually arrest people who happen to be wearing t-shirts, jeans, and baseball caps, then that will inform how you interact with someone dressed that way in the course of your job. You don't associate "suit and hat" with "perp" anymore, and that will inform how you interact with someone dressed thusly. It's a good way of networking, subliminal though it may be, and works to my advantage -- there may be some job down the line where, in the back of my head, they'll see "the photographer in the suit," and remember that I don't cause problems, I'm one of the "good guys" in the f'in media, and that may earn me a crucial extra few seconds I may need to get a picture in a certain place before I'm told to move it.

rue

Perhaps this is a thread that deserves to be split off...the most ridiculous, far-off, generic, commercial, generalizations that we hear when we take care in our appearance. As a photojournalist, I find it harder and harder to smile politely when I get "hey, Jimmy Olsen/Clark Kent/Peter Parker!" Likewise the "Al Capone" stuff. Of course, people simply don't care to hear a lecture about how there were millions of ordinary people who wore pinstripes and hats. Similarly, in my Civil War community, any male civilian who dares to wear the ubiquitous top hat is immediately thought to be Lincoln. Gangsters...ugh. Well, there's something to be said when even people who were lowlifes once took time to tie a tie, and a suit wasn't enough to distinguish you. Today, it's to my advantage, particularly in dealing with high-tension situations as a photographer...the cops are more likely to give the guy next to me a hard time, and give me a "heyyy, I like the look." Think of the psychology behind it...if you usually arrest people who happen to be wearing t-shirts, jeans, and baseball caps, then that will inform how you interact with someone dressed that way in the course of your job. You don't associate "suit and hat" with "perp" anymore, and that will inform how you interact with someone dressed thusly. It's a good way of networking, subliminal though it may be, and works to my advantage -- there may be some job down the line where, in the back of my head, they'll see "the photographer in the suit," and remember that I don't cause problems, I'm one of the "good guys" in the f'in media, and that may earn me a crucial extra few seconds I may need to get a picture in a certain place before I'm told to move it.

You've made an excellent point :)

That's what I can't figure out. Not the kinda mark I'd want to leave on society. I'd rather have 'loved by many' than 'bad boy' on my headstone lol

I think an even more salient point is what kind of a screwed up culture is it when consciously "looking *bad*" as in dangerous, menacing, and criminal is considered mainstream?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
That's what I can't figure out. Not the kinda mark I'd want to leave on society. I'd rather have 'loved by many' than 'bad boy' on my headstone lol
Tom...when they make your head stone, (a very long time from now)...it may just say something very mild but to the point...."Here is Tom, he was a fine, pleasant human, liked by humanity".

Then of course, someone may leave a small note under a rock, that says, "the party just started, and we're having fun"!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

This is so very true. People that look like trouble can be trouble. It is something identifiable by others.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24