Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Diamond Authority

TPD166

One Too Many
Thanks! The Adam actually fits nicely and does touch the top of head (in back). I think it may appear that way from the angle due to my trying using a camera phone (actually both of these hats fit pretty much the same).

Thanks for bringing this one back!

Nice hat [first photo]... from the photo it looks as if it is sitting to high on your head.
Does the top of the hat touch your head?
You may need to try the next size up.

Landman

One Too Many
Robert,

Nice looking diamond creases. I like a diamond crease mainly because it straightens the sides and removes any taper. Personally, I like the way a teardrop looks when viewing it from above but on some hats it won't remove the taper on the sides.

I think the reason the Adam looks good without any side dents is it has a lower crown. The side dents would look too low because of that. I wear my hats pretty low on my head and if the side dents are too low they hit my head. That is one of my complaints with new production Open Roads. When I put the hat on my head where it is most comfortable I actually pop out the side dents.

I like the front pinch & the overall look of the Stetson. It seems to fit your head better too.
The Adam looks to sit too high on your head = way too much room from the top of your ears to the brim, IMHO.
Some hats seem to just fall into Diamonds where others tend towards a teardrop.

My drastic Diamond in a Campdraft
hondo-2.jpg

hondo-5.jpg

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
I am DIGGIN' the Diamonds! :thumb:

Since I've had my fedoras I've been reluctant to change the crease, fearing that I couldn't duplicate the originals. I kept most of my hats with a center dent, but pushed up a tad in the back. This brought the top of the crowns a little higher off of my head, because I like to wear my hats a little low. So it was more comfortable with the back pushed up. However, I started messing around with a few of my favorite hats and it's really awesome how much a crease can transform a hat.

I first tried this on my Saks [Twenty clone] with terrific results. Then I decided to try it on my navy Robley (which I haven't worn much lately) and my caramel Kevin McAndrew. Both resulted in totally different looks! I really like the McAndrew, partly because it was one of my first vintage fedoras that I purchased, and because it's just a good looking hat, no matter what kind of crease it has. However, I was never pleased with the taper. Same thing with the Robley.

After creasing the two hats I was able to transform the crowns and reduce the taper, giving it a straighter appearance. The McAndrew has a decent blocking height, but the Robley is a tad shorter and a little smaller. Regardless, both wear well without sitting on the top of my head.

Here are the 3 new creases...

Robley
CFBFB342_zps5944dfb1.jpg

A9EAB62A_zps98253d14.jpg

Kevin McAndrew
125CAE86_zps57688474.jpg

0E42384D_zps5362a0d6.jpg

Saks
F4AFA953_zps7fa39fb2.jpg

67302DB5_zpse6623257.jpg

Thanks for reading!!

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
I don’t think I could put anything but a diamond into my hats these days. Clockwise: modified Beaver Brand; Tumwater; modified Worth & Worth panama; black Federation IV; glen grey Campdraft; brown Federation IV.

Diamonds_zpsf4020ca4.jpg

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Whiskey Hat Body is now Diamond Creased

I recently bought this hat body which caused some humor on the Conversion Corral. After putting in a sweat band and hat band, I wanted to make some minor adjustments. It had a very good C crown from Bond, but this does not do so well for my look, so...

IMG_4049 Guide.jpg
IMG_4050  Diamond Crease Guide.jpg

Fed

Last edited:

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Thanks - was easy to sort of convert it. Have a CampDraft on its way and wanted to practice a bit on the learner hat. This really does change the look of the hat and it works better for me. Glad to have learned about making it work from all of y'all.

Thanks again,
Fed

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Here ya go...

A new CampDraft being shaped to a Jimmy Stewart inspired 6 point diamond.

IMG_4125.JPG

Here are the pair, but the Silverbelly became a C-crown just because it seemed to want to be that way.

IMG_4133.JPG

IMG_4131.JPG

More to follow when they get some more touch-up and dry.

Fed

TPD166

One Too Many
Resistol "Cavalry" Diamond

I picked up this older Resistol western a couple of months back as project hat - didn't appear to be worn much, just dirty from poor storage. I mainly wanted it because of the tall crown and the color. I had Paris Hatters clean it and block it into an open crown. The final product ended up being a diamond - only the second or third one I have tried.

TPD166

One Too Many
Great job! I am thinking about changing one of CD's into a diamond.

Here ya go...

A new CampDraft being shaped to a Jimmy Stewart inspired 6 point diamond.

Here are the pair, but the Silverbelly became a C-crown just because it seemed to want to be that way.

More to follow when they get some more touch-up and dry.

Fed

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Thanks, but I learned all about it right here - with a bit of help from Roy Rogers' video of creasing his son's hat. But then, I found that at the FL as well.

Go for a diamond crease, but study what will work for you. I am tall and thin, so I use the Jimmy Stewart long point method so that I do not look like I have a garbage can lid or stove pipe on top of me. Thins the look out for my body.

The beauty of the diamond is that you can manipulate it to accommodate a variety of head and body shapes. Get your balance by adjusting where you want the points and by setting the depth into the crown.

Fed

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I picked up this older Resistol western a couple of months back as project hat - didn't appear to be worn much, just dirty from poor storage. I mainly wanted it because of the tall crown and the color. I had Paris Hatters clean it and block it into an open crown. The final product ended up being a diamond - only the second or third one I have tried.
Nice one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot