Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The DINER.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Hit this up over the weekend with some friends, after prom. Highlight of the night. I was the one with the camera, so no shots of me, unfortunately. '30s diner built by O'Mahony. Still very original. Very fun place to be late at night.

IMG_7055.jpg

IMG_7054.jpg

Sarge

One of the Regulars
Cindy's Diner located in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana. Their motto is "Serving the whole world . . .15 at a time." Although only open till 2pm they serve about the best breakfast in town as well as burgers, fries and malts.

cindyext-1.jpg

cindysint.jpg

cindyext.jpg

cindysnow.jpg

Sarge

One of the Regulars
Another great diner, just up the road from here, is The South Side Soda Shop and Diner located in Goshen, IN. They serve homemade sandwiches, salads, desserts, and offer over fifty varieties of pie. They are best known for their famous Chili and Green Rivers.

Back in July it was featured on the Food Network show "Diner's, Drive-In's, and Dives".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=withX9C85A0

SouthSideDinerGoshenIndiana.jpg

SouthSide_1.jpg

SouthSide_2.jpg

SouthSide_3.jpg

SouthSide_4.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Sarge said:
Another great diner, just up the road from here, is The South Side Soda Shop and Diner located in Goshen, IN...

That's about fifteen minutes from my wife's grandparents' house in Sturgis, MI. When we found out about it via Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives we declared that we won't go visit them again without checking it out.

-Dave

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Hit up this one today, the Silver diner of Rockville. One of the first modern diners built in the old style. This one actually nailed the look pretty well. After this, they got a little cartoon-y.

IMG_7524.jpg

IMG_7535.jpg

IMG_7532.jpg

IMG_7533.jpg

IMG_7527.jpg

IMG_7528.jpg

leaette

A-List Customer
We ate in this 1939 diner this past weekend. It's the Emerald Diner in Hubbard, Ohio. Great food and this diner is in great shape.

stuff033.jpg

stuff024.jpg

stuff023.jpg

stuff022.jpg

stuff021.jpg

stuff025.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The 29 diner in Fairfax, VA. Used to be part of the local Tastee Diner chain. The AC broke a little before we got there, but with the ceiling fans and a box fan at one end, it wasn't bad at all. The food at the 29 is fantastic, great juicy, melty cheeseburgers, crispy fries, and excellent rice pudding.

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_12431.jpg

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Does anybody here know if this diner still exists in some form?

3257878955_ed1d23251b.jpg

The diner on the cover of the album "Abandoned Luncheonette" was formerly the Rosedale Diner located in Pottstown, Pennsylvania. It went out of business and was dumped in a small wooded area located along Route 724 in Kenilworth, PA, where this picture was taken. The diner was there for years until it was basically stripped apart in 1983 by people looking for souvenirs.

The remains were moved from the site shortly thereafter, but where? Just curious.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The true authority on this diner is Larry Cultrera, of the Diner Hotline. You could probably contact him through his blog. As I understand it, there's nothing left.

This is what the Rosedale looked like when new.
PhotoRosedale1.jpg

My blog has pictures of the (now abandoned) pizza place that the owners of the Rosedale opened, which is situated across the street from the woods where the Rosedale sat when it was photographed for that album.

RetroToday said:
Does anybody here know if this diner still exists in some form?

3257878955_ed1d23251b.jpg

The diner on the cover of the album "Abandoned Luncheonette" was formerly the Rosedale Diner located in Pottstown, Pennsylvania. It went out of business and was dumped in a small wooded area located along Route 724 in Kenilworth, PA, where this picture was taken. The diner was there for years until it was basically stripped apart in 1983 by people looking for souvenirs.

The remains were moved from the site shortly thereafter, but where? Just curious.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Dinerman said:
The true authority on this diner is Larry Cultrera, of the Diner Hotline. You could probably contact him through his blog. As I understand it, there's nothing left.

Thanks for the response Dinerman,

Sad to hear it's disappeared completely, I was hoping at least the shell was somehow saved.

I guess the only fragments left over now reside in the homes of those souvenir hunters.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Just another old diner. So many have disappeared.

The diner was late '40s and built by the Fodero diner company. While that particular one may be gone, there are still a few that are very close still in existence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy