Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Disney Diner

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Jabos said:
(1) Could it be done? (2) Could Art do it?

If the answer to (1) is yes, then the answer to (2) is yes.

The answer to (1) is yes (except for the cav. edge).

The Elizans

Familiar Face
My Disney

Hello ladies and gents,

Here is my beloved Disney fedora; it's one of only three American hats I own, but what a hat this one is! I love it! However, I know nothing about how old it might be or why the brand logo inside seems different from all the others here. If anyone can help me to learn a bit about the history of this hat, that would be great! Here are the facts:

• Cavanagh style felted-in edge
  • No protective film in the crown for hair cream protection!
  • Wind trolley
  • Soft (I mean the softest) pliable felt construction; almost floppy with constantly changing bash as you wear it!

disney2.jpg

disney3.jpg

disney4.jpg

disney5.jpg

disney6.jpg

disney7.jpg

disney8.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Very nice!:eusa_clap I love the liner tip, and don't know quite why it's different, but then Disney used many different styles and crests over the years.

One thing to remember about Disney is that their hats were produced by someone else, though it's possible that Disney might have done the trimming of the hats themselves, as in ribbon and liner.

Disney hat production basically divides into two periods, and the dividing line is about 1943, though it could be several years earlier. Prior to '43, the Crofut & Knapp factory (later to become Hat Corporation of America) made the hats for Disney. At some point in 1943 or a few years prior, Disney switched production to the Frank H. Lee Company, which was later bought out by Stetson.

This explains some of the differences you will find in Disney hats over the years.

Yours was made during the Crofut & Knapp/Hat Corporation of America period.

Brad

tortswon

Practically Family
Black Disney

cookie said:
That first one still has the original size tag? Like it is NOS?

Cookie, sorry for the long delay in responding. The black Disney with the tag still in it was given as a prize in a shooting contest to the captain of the Remington team, It was brand new when given. He put it away in the attic and never wore it.

He died recently and while cleaning out his effects, his daughter found the two Disneys which I pictured in the photos. The hats were purchased from her. The brown one may have been worn once or twice by her father but he never wore the black one. Best, Sam

buler

I'll Lock Up
The Disney Ranger

Got a very lucky find today. Received a 5 hat lot from ebay that I knew had a Disney in it. Turns out to be an Open Road style called the Ranger.

The hat is a 7 3/8, medium grey with a black thin ribbon and wind trolley. Both the crown and brim are a fairly stiff felt. But it feels nice. You can work the crown crease pretty well. Brim is 2 1/4" with a grey binding.

There is a price tag for $11.95 under the sweat. Dealer name is "Al Baskin Fashions for Men Joliet". Also on sweat is "Ranger" and "Disney Reg'D New York Du Pont Water Repellant".

The liner is very nice textured white satin with clear plastic over the liner tip.

Reeded weatband is a grey leather, fairly thick, with sewn rear seam. Manufacturer tag underneath says "To Dupicate E 7006 Size 7 3/8". A "United Hatters, Cap & Millinery..." tag also. The main size tag is brown paper and had fallen off but was under the sweat.

Any guess on age? Would this have been made by Lee? Was hoping this would be my size, but its not. I do have another Disney on the way that IS supposed to be my size.

thanks
B

3544351666_2808fc84a2_o.jpg

3543542737_f9a8f09f9a_o.jpg

3544351166_deb0885a31_o.jpg

3543542285_7ecf7e6a80_o.jpg

3543542943_fc8f322d57_o.jpg

3544351332_209927885a_o.jpg

3543542413_12066d513f_o.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Nice Disney. I like the contrasting ribbon, a welcome change from most Open Road-styled hats.

Yes, this would have been a Lee hat, going by the union label, as Hat Corporation of America didn't unionize until after Disney had switched production to Lee.

As to age, post-1943, though it's probably a decade after that.

Brad

buler

I'll Lock Up
Disney Twenty

Just got this one in today from the 'bay. Disney Twenty in a 7 1/8. Brim is 2 1/16". The crown seems to have only been center creased in the past. Liner tip says "Disney Twenty New York". There is a "Disney Twenty"and a "Disney Gold Label Beaver Twenty" mark on the sweat. Reorder tag says "7628 7 1/8". No retailer mark on sweat. $20.00 price tag under sweat also says 5152 7 1/8.

The brim felt has a nice "medium thick" feel to it with no stiffener. Even though the crown doesn't seem to have been stiffened it only wants a center crease for now. Has a wind trolley. Sweat is medium brown and reeded. It has a cav edge.

B

disney_twenty_front.jpg

disney_twenty_profile.jpg

disney_twenty_liner_tip.jpg

disney_twenty_sweat_mark2.jpg

disney_twenty_sweat_mark.jpg

disney_twenty_price_tag.jpg

disney_twenty_reorder_tag.jpg

disney_twenty_edge2.jpg

billyspew

One Too Many
buler's hat donation auction reminded me that I had a Disney hanging around that I hadn't photographed.

Well here it is, two interesting points about this:
1. It was made in France and only has Punti/CM sizing marked.
2. The brim, not sure how to describe it other than that it is double layered - two layers of felt, folded over (as can be seen by the last pic where I've managed to separate the layers).

Anyone seen either of these two things before?

3762939941_456d6a4686_m.jpg
3762940191_36d9c22c3a_m.jpg

3763737624_7ac0076bd8_m.jpg
3763737814_a172ea3d74_m.jpg

3762940717_833f92ec08_m.jpg
3762942169_473b481afd_m.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
$5 Disney

Here's a green Disney (no liner) just arrived in the mail. Notice the $5 sticker, and also the newspaper that was used to stuff the sweatband: 1942....Disney cartoon

DisneySideUnb.jpg

DisneySide.jpg

DisneyDtls.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Here's a green Disney (no liner) just arrived in the mail. Notice the $5 sticker, and also the newspaper that was used to stuff the sweatband: 1942....Disney cartoon
Not sure the pug is original. Here's a period(1940) competitor for the Telescope and as seen on Cary Grant in His Girl Friday of the same year:
3365746469_f61232917a_o.jpg
3366580568_25ec4bd110_o.gif

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
The Elizans said:
Hello ladies and gents,

Here is my beloved Disney fedora; it's one of only three American hats I own, but what a hat this one is! I love it! However, I know nothing about how old it might be or why the brand logo inside seems different from all the others here. If anyone can help me to learn a bit about the history of this hat, that would be great! Here are the facts:

• Cavanagh style felted-in edge
  • No protective film in the crown for hair cream protection!
  • Wind trolley
  • Soft (I mean the softest) pliable felt construction; almost floppy with constantly changing bash as you wear it!

disney8.jpg

Mine seems to be constructed almost exactly like yours on the underside...wish it still had a liner!

Model is "Telescope"

DisneyBack.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk