Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Disney Diner

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Mine is a smooth, cut edge. Maybe one day another Disney will come my way. For now...I need to send it off for a rework on the sweat.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Here's my 1952 Disney, bought on Ebay last year. This was my first hat purchase after joining the Lounge, and I think I did pretty well. It's a size 7 Belmont, with the bow in back. I'm told that was very popular at that time. It came with a slightly slanted bash, which I've retained.
Disney1.jpg

Disney2.jpg

Me, wearing it, back during my William Powell memorial mustache phase. I still like the stash, but the GF doesn't. So you know what happened to the stash.
Tinhat004.jpg

Is it just me, or do other people feel as if they're doing self surgery when taking a picture of themselves with a digital camera? Or is it a generational thing?
Edit: Hmmm . . . I just realized, this hat seems to have a Cavanaugh edge. Kewl!

tortswon

Practically Family
Disney vs. Mr. Disney

In looking at the photos of these beautiful hats, I noticed that some are labeled "Disney" and others "Mr. Disney." Are there any differences between the hats based upon this labeling?

Viper Man

Banned
tortswon said:
In looking at the photos of these beautiful hats, I noticed that some are labeled "Disney" and others "Mr. Disney." Are there any differences between the hats based upon this labeling?

Mine actually has "Mr. Disney" stamped on the sweatband so I assumed it was the hat style or "model".

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The "Mr. Disney" designation, usually accompanied by the well dressed fellow on the liner, is a later logo, not a model name. Mine has the 'Mr.' logo, and Art dated mine to the 1940s. The 'Mr.' logo came with the Currier & Ives box I'm pretty sure. I believe mine is probably late 40s as the Disney 'Ranger' (OR clone) that I had has a 'Ceiling Price' tag, which would put it early to mid '40s. It has the older logo (pre-'Mr.') and the older box. Sometime mid to late '40s they moved to the new logo and new box, I'm pretty sure.

The box that I have for my Fawcett refurbed Disney is one I bought off ebay and would actually predate the hat. But I like the old box better.

Viper Man

Banned
AlanC said:
The "Mr. Disney" designation, usually accompanied by the well dressed fellow on the liner, is a later logo, not a model name. Mine has the 'Mr.' logo, and Art dated mine to the 1940s. The 'Mr.' logo came with the Currier & Ives box I'm pretty sure. I believe mine is probably late 40s as the Disney 'Ranger' (OR clone) that I had has a 'Ceiling Price' tag, which would put it early to mid '40s. It has the older logo (pre-'Mr.') and the older box. Sometime mid to late '40s they moved to the new logo and new box, I'm pretty sure.

The box that I have for my Fawcett refurbed Disney is one I bought off ebay and would actually predate the hat. But I like the old box better.

Very interesting. My hat has "Mr. Disney" stamped on the sweat but the logo in the liner does not feature the "well dressed fellow" you speak of. The logo in my liner is the Disney crest but the original tag under the sweat is marked for $10. [huh]

Baron Kurtz said:
these multi-pleated 1 1.5/2" (;) ) bow/ribbons seem to be quite common on Disney hats. Was this a favoured Disney style? I don't - and never have - wn any Disney hats so i'm not educated.

bk

I suppose they liked them a lot in 1953:D :

g831.jpg

It was not only common for their offerings then but many companies offered them in the 1950s on their shorter brimmed hats. Same as the 1930s hats that had them--except with wider brims:
stetson1939.jpg

Golden Earache

One of the Regulars
I just picked up a Disney "Oxford Fifteen" on the bay, can't wait for this one. It has the gold crest inside; is this the earlier or later logo? I am somewhat confused about AlanC's post regarding this.

Pics as soon as I can!

AlanC

^I think the ones with the crest are earlier. I can't wait to see it--any auction pics you can link?

Here are how I *think* they date with pics lifted from this thread.

1930s(?):

Dinerman's bowler
IMG_3411.jpg

Early-mid '40s,

Bolthead's 'Twenty':
Disney4.jpg

Mid-late '40s (early '50s?):

J.T.'s 'Fifteen':
P1040120.jpg

Mine, which Art dated to the '40s when he refurbished it:
p1012093xo2.jpg

Sometime later (late 50s?):

Bolthead's Lancer
DisneyLancer4.jpg

This is how I read it currently. I'm very open to correction.

Viper Man

Banned
Sweet lid, Golden Earache. That should clean up nicely. Welcome to the Diner! :eusa_clap

All of the hats in this thread rock. I'm literally drooling over here!
Bolthead, did you keep the center crease on this baby?

bolthead said:
DisneyLancer2.jpg

4 3/4" Crown, 2" black Grosgrain, 1 7/8" guilded brim (cav)
nice heavy, soft sweatband as well.......

bolthead

Viper....

Viper Man said:
Sweet lid, Golden Earache. That should clean up nicely. Welcome to the Diner! :eusa_clap

All of the hats in this thread rock. I'm literally drooling over here!
Bolthead, did you keep the center crease on this baby?
I went with the flow.....
....it's now a Pork Pie. :D
Lancer008.jpg
Lancer006.jpg

Viper Man

Banned
I sorta thought you might! lol

Looks great, man. I can dig it. :D

Duh, I just saw your post in the porkpie thread. I wonder how I missed that?!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland