Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

Jack182838

New in Town
Hi folks, any ideas of what decade of this lining might be? I am guessing it's from the 30s-40s but this one is uncommon, maybe for overseas markets?

Jack182838

New in Town
Hi folks, any ideas of what decade of this lining might be? I am guessing it's from the 30s-40s but this one is uncommon, maybe for overseas markets?

Attachments

• 99BD8455-EEEF-4DAA-B244-0E936B74C984.jpeg
    99BD8455-EEEF-4DAA-B244-0E936B74C984.jpeg
    608.9 KB · Views: 201
  • 884B3493-CE8C-4B7E-BCDA-C70264E57C0C.jpeg
    884B3493-CE8C-4B7E-BCDA-C70264E57C0C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 212

Very interesting. I can't find any examples of that exact logo.

I think I saw a hat once with that logo or something similar. Definitely the “made in the English way”. Makes me wonder if it wasn’t something made under license by a UK hatter. Though it was sold as a US store

Do you have more photos of the inside and outside of the hat. And if possible the manufacturers tag under the sweat.

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I think I saw a hat once with that logo or something similar. Definitely the “made in the English way”. Makes me wonder if it wasn’t something made under license by a UK hatter. Though it was sold as a US store

Do you have more photos of the inside and outside of the hat. And if possible the manufacturers tag under the sweat.

Nice observation, Joe. Though not exactly the the same, the logo looks similar to the English hat makers Lock & Co's and Willoughby's, the French hatters.

Be interesting to see other labels. Made under license is usually shown on the sweat band.
20211209_221816.jpg 20211209_221937.jpg

Nice observation, Joe. Though not exactly the the same, the logo looks similar to the English hat makers Lock & Co's and Willoughby's, the French hatters.

Be interesting to see other labels. Made under license is usually shown on the sweat band.
View attachment 386269 View attachment 386270
Yes.. I definitely believe they were going for the styling of the Lock & Co logo. I do feel like I saw a Dobbs with a logo like this one sometime in the past year. Just can’t remember where. Maybe it was on one I saw for sale.

For sure an unusual thing for Dobbs to do.

Jack182838

New in Town

I have tried to find tags unfortunately there isn't anything under the sweatband and lining:(

Dobbs Twenty in size 7 1/4. The open crown is 5 5/8” and brim with Guild/Cavanagh/felted edge is 2 5/8” wide. The old copper ribbon paired with the brown felt is a favorite of mine.

View attachment 387939 View attachment 387940 View attachment 387941 View attachment 387942 View attachment 387943 View attachment 387944 View attachment 387945 View attachment 387946

The dark spots on the felt are just shadows…I waited a bit late to get the photos.
Another beauty

Thanks, Joe.
I’m glad to see that Singymas is going strong…have you seen Mike @Redfokker lately?
Thanks Brent. Even though I’ve grown to love larger brims too…. I’ll always have a soft spot for the Stingies. (Though there was some discussion in another group of a “firm” cutoff of 1 1/2 inches) :shrug:

I did connect briefly with Mike the other day on FB. Seems he and his Missus are enjoying Hawaii for the next two weeks! Well deserved.

Thanks Brent. Even though I’ve grown to love larger brims too…. I’ll always have a soft spot for the Stingies. (Though there was some discussion in another group of a “firm” cutoff of 1 1/2 inches) :shrug:

I did connect briefly with Mike the other day on FB. Seems he and his Missus are enjoying Hawaii for the next two weeks! Well deserved.

Good to hear that Mike is doing well.

Did I read that right: anything over 1 1/2” isn’t considered a stingy brim by some group? A 2 1/4” brim sure looks stingy on my head.

jviss

Familiar Face
Is it appropriate to list a Dobbs hat for sale in this thread, or is there a separate marketplace thread? Sorry, I'm new here and can't find the latter.

jviss

Familiar Face
A recently acquired Dobbs Fifth Avenue Fedora has what appears to be a clear-ish plastic cover over the liner. It is now quite foggy. It occurs to me, after watching one of Kevin's Youtube videos that perhaps it's an addition to the liner, that can be removed.

Is anyone familiar with this, this clear plastic liner on the cloth liner?

Thanks,

jv

p.s. I might just remove the liner to find out.

2.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points