Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
dobbs1920vauxhall.jpg

Dobbs1931womens.jpg

dobbs1931parkplaza.jpg

dobbs19321.jpg

dobbs1932.jpg

dobbs1933.jpg

DobbsGameBird1934.jpg

dobbs1934.jpg

DobbsGamebird1935.jpg

dobbs1935.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I love the style of the one on the bottom right. But then, I'm always partial to side dents.

dobbs19321.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The Field & Stream "unknown date" is 1939.

I love those 1920s photograph ads. Looks like there's another set I need to collect, as soon as I find out what magazine those were in.

Brad

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks on the date. I moved it.

The top corner of the ads shows that they came from Vanity Fair.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
The Field & Stream "unknown date" is 1939.

I love those 1920s photograph ads. Looks like there's another set I need to collect, as soon as I find out what magazine those were in.

Brad
You should be able to date them by the Broadway shows referenced and Alfred Cheney Johnston signatures on all

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
D'oh, I see that now. They're before 1928, and I'll have to go check my address dates, but I think they're after 1924, so that narrows it down.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
You should be able to date them by the Broadway shows referenced and Alfred Cheney Johnson signatures on all

Thanks, rlk, I hadn't thought of that. For the Dobbs Valhalla, with James Gleason from "The Shannons of Broadway," the play ran Sep 26, 1927 - Jun 1928, so that narrows it further.

Brad

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs/C&K Product placement

I was watching Shadow of the Thin Man(1941) and noticed blatant product placement at 1 hr 04 minute. William Powell doffs his hat and carries it liner up to display the Dobbs Logo and then opens a closet where the camera dwells on a C&K hat box on the shelf.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Looks like 1927, maybe extending into 1928. There's another one, not shown, from April 1927.

So, perhaps another year-long campaign, similar to what C&K offered in 1929-1930, only using actors. Very classy and classic.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
I was watching Shadow of the Thin Man(1941) and noticed blatant product placement at 1 hr 04 minute. William Powell doffs his hat and carries it liner up to display the Dobbs Logo and then opens a closet where the camera dwells on a C&K hat box on the shelf.

Looks like I'll be popping that one in the DVD player after the Super Bowl tonight!

Thanks,

Brad

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Brad Bowers said:
That's an interesting one, Scott. Is that just a line of decorative stitching around the brim, or is there a very fine overwelt? And do you think that pugaree is original to the hat? It seems to match well, which makes me think that it might be. If so, that makes it really special.

Brad

I don't know - waiting for it to arrive. To me, it looks like fine stitching. It's a size small, but was such a low BIN that I figured it was worth picking up just to get a look at.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
It would still be three-and-a-half years before the Guild name would be applied to the Edge.

April 5, 1941:
Dobbs4-5-1941p60NewYorker.jpg

Brad

Boatwright

New in Town
Hello folks. I just joined the Fedora Lounge specifically because I was hoping to find out some info on a hat I’ve recently acquired. My wife’s father passed away last summer. I came across this hat while my wife and I were helping my mother-in-law sort through his personal effects. It was such a cool hat and fit me so perfectly that I immediately asked my mother-in-law if I could have it (she said yes). I’d never heard of Dobbs hats before I got this hat and I’d love to learn ore about it. My father-in-law grew up, lived and worked in NYC for much of his life and I believe he got the hat directly from Dobbs. He was 85 when he passed away so the hat could be quite old. I don't think he wore it much because it's in perfect condition. Does anyone know what model and/or how old it might be? Thanks.

-Jay

IMG_6103.jpg

IMG_6102.jpg

IMG_6104.jpg

IMG_6110.jpg

IMG_6111.jpg

IMG_6112.jpg

IMG_6105.jpg

IMG_6107.jpg

IMG_6106.jpg

IMG_61085.jpg

Forum statistics