Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

jbucklin

Practically Family
With inspiration provided by Mr. E Train, I went and bought this Dobbs Soul from the Hatco Outlet in Garland eariler today:

Photo138.jpg

Mr E Train

One Too Many
jbucklin said:
With inspiration provided by Mr. E Train, I went and bought this Dobbs Soul from the Hatco Outlet in Garland eariler today:

Photo138.jpg

Looks great on ya! How do you like it? Comfortable, isn't it?

jbucklin

Practically Family
Mr. E, it is comfortable indeed. I really like it and have gotten nothing but positive feedback from others. People at church are getting a kick out of me showing up with a new hat almost on a regular, weekly basis. Our pastor's pre-teen son has been wearing a stingy fedora every Sunday because of me, so a trend has been launched! lol

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
4827853960_c78bccd1ec_b.jpg

Do you know details, Brad? Seems 324 Fifth Ave definitely closed.

It was a combination of the Depression and an overextension of the company. They had expanded their flagship store at 1 West 57th Street far beyond what they should have. They had started out, of course, to sell Crofut & Knapp hats and expanded into the Dobbs hats line, but at this shop they branched out into clothing and accessories to where it was a high-end department store. They were paying between $410,000 and $420,000 a year in rent, and should have been bringing in about $4 million a year in revenue. However, they were only getting around $2 million, so that's a big problem.

The primary creditor and chief stockholder of Dobbs & Co. was Cavanagh-Dobbs, Inc. Cavanagh-Dobbs didn't go into bankruptcy. Dobbs & Co. operated under receivership, but I haven't found out when they emerged.

Dobbs & Co. operated four other stores in NYC besides the big one on 57th, and they were expected to remain open, but I haven't looked to see which ones closed.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Addendum:

The other stores in 1931 were at 169 Broadway, 324 Fifth Avenue, 285 Madison Avenue, and Fifth Avenue at 50th Street, which I'm guessing is the 2 West 50th address.

Brad

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
Missed out on a Dobbs Twenty on eBay over the weekend by just a few bucks. Hope one of the fine gentlemen of the Lounge managed to score this one. Of course, I'll now be on the lookout for others ...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
My black Dobbs. It was made for the Rogers Peet Company.
I had won this one on ebay a few yeas back I think from Mark Chevalier. It is still in fantastic shape.
100_5952.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

One Too Many
Black and Jacquet ¡¡¡¡

DanielJones said:
My black Dobbs. It was made for the Rogers Peet Company.
I had won this one on ebay a few yeas back I think from Mark Chevalier. It is still in fantastic shape.
100_5952.jpg

Cheers!

Dan[/QUOTE
Nice hat, I like the jacquet, both look fine:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

theinterchange

One Too Many
I've had this hat for quite some time, it was an eBay win that's a touch small Only a few days ago I thought to try wearing the hat a little higher and cocked... I think it works well this way.

4983311987_4f228f9c79_o.jpg

here it is in color...

4983909350_d963b9c7ed_o.jpg

Randy

One Too Many
Nice hat ¡¡¡¡

theinterchange said:
I've had this hat for quite some time, it was an eBay win that's a touch small Only a few days ago I thought to try wearing the hat a little higher and cocked... I think it works well this way.

4983311987_4f228f9c79_o.jpg

here it is in color...

4983909350_d963b9c7ed_o.jpg

Randy
I like the straw hats, it looks fine, the ribbon better.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy