1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

The Dobbs Diner...

Discussion in 'Hats' started by DanielJones, May 18, 2007.

1. alanfgag

alanfgag

Thanks for posting these. I hope you find Yogi's hat down the road. I wonder if Mickey got one in his rookie year? Certainly a hat of parallel quality to the Knox 100 and from the same factory. The Knox 100 had the earlier manufacturing label.

The classified ad for the Knox is still up and available for enjoyment. It remains the most ambitious piece of post war hat making that I have handled.

1.jpg

15.jpg

2. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Thank you, Alan!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

3. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

One of the Crown Jewels of hats. Simply perfect. I like how some of the ballplayers have it styled in the photos. Lots of brim to work with there. Thanks for allowing us to tag along, Max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Redfokker and drmaxtejeda like this.
  4. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes One Too Many

That’s breathtaking!

Redfokker and Tukwila like this.
  5. deadlyhandsome

A standout even among one of the nicest collections extant. I’ll probably go the rest of my life without seeing another. It must have been rough to see it go even if it wasn’t your size.

Redfokker, drmaxtejeda and Tukwila like this.
  6. Tukwila

Tukwila One Too Many

Museum piece!

7. Tukwila

Tukwila One Too Many

Holy mackerel! Earth shattering beauty. Just stunning. Thank you for posting this, Alan.

If you have a moment, can you post the measurement for both the brim and ribbon width?

Wow.

8. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

I have recently acquired a Dobbs One Hundred, Alan. I will be posting pictures of that one in this thread once I have it.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Redfokker and Tukwila like this.
  9. alanfgag

alanfgag

Glad you enjoyed seeing it. This Knox 100 shares much in common stylewise with the Knox 20, and 40, which are more commonly available. I sold it five years ago, but the dimensions remain available in the copy from the classified ad that I linked above. As the label above shows, the blocked depth was 5 5/8".

10. alanfgag

alanfgag

Great. Our member RLK was wearing a western style Dobbs 100 when I met him for coffee in Evanston some years back. I remember it as a beauty. The one hundred dollar hats were an inflation of the fifty dollar hat, sometimes throwing a suitcase into the equation, but in most cases, no more hat. You got your money's worth with that fifty at half price.

alanfgag_RLK.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  11. deadlyhandsome

Just to clarify, the same company didn’t make 50s and 100s at the same time? 100s were just 50s adjusted for inflation?

How did the Dobbs 100 compared with the Churchill 100?

Thanks for the education,

Brent

Redfokker likes this.
  12. alanfgag

alanfgag

These are guesses and observations from hats that have crossed my path. I have owned quite a few Stetson 7X hats ($50) and a handful of Stetson 100 hats. The 7X hats I have kept were all more delicious (used here to describe a number of qualities mashed together that make a hat more desirable to me) than the 100s, which were later (1960s), stiffer and all of which I have sold. I have never been able to discern a difference in felt quality between the two price points and the trimmings are equally high in quality, with variances in marks and branding being the main difference. The 1960s saw higher inflation along with a continual decline in hat sales which might have also entered into these observations. But overall, I don't find much of a difference beyond a fairly substantial suitcase that became included with the Stetson 100. Others might have a different observation.

The HCA brands appear to have released a one hundred dollar hat earlier than Stetson. I've never had one in hand alongside a fifty dollar hat of the same period to compare. I can say that the Knox 100 I owned was exceptional. The Frank Stack silver beaver Fifty is a very fine hat as well, similar in period to the Knox 100 (perhaps earlier) and a close second, but a second in my estimation. I never had them both in hand at the same time.

The Churchill Beaver 100 is also exceptional, with a certain je ne sais pas added from an unknown quantity of vicuna in the felt mix. This hat is of the same era as the Stetson 100, so stiffer construction, but pounced more finely than any hat I have handled. There are some comparison pictures posted.

It would be great to have a comparison shared on the thread of that name - perhaps Max will tackle it. My impression is that for the most part, fifty dollar hats became one hundred dollar hats as the market became able to handle the price - there was not much if anything more in refinement to add (hence the Neiman Marcus addition of vicuna via Churchill). There is more difference to note and write about between the twenty dollar hats and forty dollar hats offered by Hat Corporation of America. In my opinion.

13. deadlyhandsome

Allen, thank you for taking the time to write such a compelling analysis. Your exposure to so many fine hats puts you in a small group uniquely qualified for this and your willingness to share is much appreciated.

I remember your Churchill 100 from years ago and I’ve never forgotten it. It’s one of my grail hats for sure.

Thanks again,

Brent

Zombie_61, Redfokker and Tukwila like this.
  14. alanfgag

alanfgag

Sure thing. It would be interesting to hear from others who might have a different opinion. Perhaps the Side by Side Hat Comparisons thread would be the best place. A good project for a quiet weekend!

Zombie_61, Redfokker, steur and 2 others like this.
  15. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Nice find! It's not understated, but not all hats have to be.

Redfokker, MondoFW and Tukwila like this.
  16. Redfokker

Redfokker

Definitely +1 !

Tukwila likes this.
  17. 40Cal

40Cal One Too Many

Dobbs with the O.P.A. tag still in place. WWII era.
    Has a 2 7/8ths brim! I gave it a diamond crease...... of course.
    IMG_6045.JPG IMG_6046.JPG

18. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Aaah, so you got that one. Good to see it go to a fellow lounger. Lovely colour, good proportions and killer ribbon. Nice catch.

40Cal, Steve1857 and Tukwila like this.
  19. Steve1857

Steve1857 One Too Many

Super "autumn leaves are brown" colour and wonderful 3 tiered ribbon, 40Cal. Nice catch.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

40Cal and Tukwila like this.
  20. 40Cal

40Cal One Too Many

I was watching it all week hoping the price would stay low due to terrible pictures and poor description. Happy it turned out to be a nice hat and a 7 1/8th! Whew!