Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Kkaderly, your Dobbs is post-1972, after the end of Hat Corporation of America and the sale of the brand to Koracorp. It was made in the plant in Garland, TX, where Dobbs hats are still made today. It's probably '80s or later. This style of hat has been made for decades. The type of factory tag and the "Made in U.S.A." confirm that it's a Garland-made hat.

Javier, until we see more of your hat it's hard to say when it was made, but it certainly could be early-'60s. The box is not original to the hat, though, because the box is '40s or earlier. An original box to a '60s hat should be a black octagonal box.

Brad

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
Kkaderly, your Dobbs is post-1972, after the end of Hat Corporation of America and the sale of the brand to Koracorp. It was made in the plant in Garland, TX, where Dobbs hats are still made today. It's probably '80s or later. This style of hat has been made for decades. The type of factory tag and the "Made in U.S.A." confirm that it's a Garland-made hat.

Javier, until we see more of your hat it's hard to say when it was made, but it certainly could be early-'60s. The box is not original to the hat, though, because the box is '40s or earlier. An original box to a '60s hat should be a black octagonal box.

Brad

Thats why I love FL ... always great info!!!!! Thanks Brad!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kk

JAVIER

Practically Family

Brad

Here are the pics. Click to enlarge. TY for your input.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the photos. Well, we can narrow it down to within ten years, 1972 to 1982. As in the case of Kkaderly's hat, the "Made in U.S.A." and Registration symbol mark it as a Garland-made hat.

dobbssoftfeltlogo.th.jpg

In December 1982, the United Hatters, Cap, and Millinery Workers union merged into the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union, so your hat was made prior to then, based on the union label.

Brad

JAVIER

Practically Family
Thanks for the photos. Well, we can narrow it down to within ten years, 1972 to 1982. As in the case of Kkaderly's hat, the "Made in U.S.A." and Registration symbol mark it as a Garland-made hat.

dobbssoftfeltlogo.th.jpg

In December 1982, the United Hatters, Cap, and Millinery Workers union merged into the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union, so your hat was made prior to then, based on the union label.

Brad

Thanks for the info, makes since since it cleaner than most hats. Would you know what type of felt it would be? It feels like soft fur (?)

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Just wondering if anyone could help determine the vintage of this derby. So far I've read that Roos Atkins in California was open from 1957-early 1990s, so that's a pretty large window.
newhatalogue10722.jpg
newhatalogue10822.jpg
newhatalogue10922.jpg
newhatalogue11022.jpg
newhatalogue10522.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Further research shows Roos-Atkins had been in business since about 1860, but that doesn't really add another century to the possible date of the hat. :) This one is late-'50s to no later than 1972, but more likely 1958-ish to about 1965 or so. Many of these modern Derbies date to the 1958-59 Derby Revival. Beautiful example of late-era Dobbs Derby.

Brad

JAVIER

Practically Family
Further research shows Roos-Atkins had been in business since about 1860, but that doesn't really add another century to the possible date of the hat. :) This one is late-'50s to no later than 1972, but more likely 1958-ish to about 1965 or so. Many of these modern Derbies date to the 1958-59 Derby Revival. Beautiful example of late-era Dobbs Derby.

Brad

Brad,

Is it a bad or good thing that there are allot of Dobbs on the bay to catch? As a buyer I think its good for me, but than wonder why so many are around and available ? Is the reason, that they are of good quality and have passed the test of time, or perhaps is it that they were (for lack of words) super common?
teach or great one, teach :)~

About a third of my collection are Dobbs, granted I only have 13 fedora hats (not including ball caps).

Regards,

Javier

Last edited:

JAVIER

Practically Family
Since this is my first post on the Fedora Lounge I'd just like to say Hi to everyone and show off my circa 1950's Dobbs fedora!

I just purchased it for $30 off of Ebay.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/kgrhqiokjge3ru1u9pdbn9m.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/kgrhqyokje3uzdrb44bn9me.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/808/kgrhqvime3s7mkwehbn9mvs.jpg/

Nice grab, I almost bid on it too, eyed it for awhile.... glad it went to a fellow Lounger.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Brad,

Is it a bad or good thing that there are allot of Dobbs on the bay to catch? As a buyer I think its good for me, but than wonder why so many are around and available ? Is the reason, that they are of good quality and have passed the test of time, or perhaps is it that they were (for lack of words) super common?
teach or great one, teach :)~

About a third of my collection are Dobbs, granted I only have 13 fedora hats (not including ball caps).

Regards,

Javier

You can never have too many Dobbs hats. :D

The answer to your question is yes and yes. They are good quality hats, but also fairly common. Out of the major brand names, I feel safe in saying that Dobbs was the second best-selling brand, behind Stetson. Lee might contest that, but I consider Lee a second-tier hat. They've essentially been in production since 1908, and out of the brands that Hatco still produces in Garland, only the Stetson and Knox brands are older, but Knox is exclusive to Levine Hats, so I don't think their production numbers are very high. So, that's a lot of years of hats, and more for us to find here in 2011.

Brad

Luckytop

New in Town
Anyone have info in regards to dating Dobbs by size tag? I recently bought a gorgeous Dobbs forty that has a brown oval shape size tag. I don't have pictures to post yet, but it is very light gray with guild edge, 2 1/2" brim, two different $40 price tags inside the band. Sold by Gus S May, Los Angeles Biltmore. Condition is near new, so whoever owned it took great care with it. When did Dobbs stop using the "forty" model designation?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Anyone have info in regards to dating Dobbs by size tag? I recently bought a gorgeous Dobbs forty that has a brown oval shape size tag. I don't have pictures to post yet, but it is very light gray with guild edge, 2 1/2" brim, two different $40 price tags inside the band. Sold by Gus S May, Los Angeles Biltmore. Condition is near new, so whoever owned it took great care with it. When did Dobbs stop using the "forty" model designation?

The Forty might have lasted until the end in 1972, but I can't remember seeing one past the early-'60s. In any case, Gus S. May apparently moved from the Biltmore to the Beverly Hilton in 1955, so your hat is no newer than that. It could date as early as late-'40s. Let's see photos!

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy