Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The economic nightmare

Neil

A-List Customer
Just wondering how the various quality hatmakers we all appreciate are standing up to the economic misery. My observation is that well-established suppliers to niche markets are doing okay. But hats are a luxury, and that GQ-spotted trend back toward men's headwear, I suspect, is probably flagging as a result.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Neil said:
Just wondering how the various quality hatmakers we all appreciate are standing up to the economic misery. My observation is that well-established suppliers to niche markets are doing okay. But hats are a luxury, and that GQ-spotted trend back toward men's headwear, I suspect, is probably flagging as a result.

My take has always been that accessories do better during a recession, as many will re-accesorize an old outfit rather than buy a new outfit. 2009 is up 20% over 2008 for us, which seems to validate the thought.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
thefedorastore said:
My take has always been that accessories do better during a recession, as many will re-accesorize an old outfit rather than buy a new outfit. 2009 is up 20% over 2008 for us, which seems to validate the thought.

That's great to hear! Sounds kind of like the "Lipstick Indicator" or whatever it's called, that says that lipstick and other makeup product sales go up during recessions as they're an affordable luxury.

Cheers,
Tom

MattJH

One Too Many
I'm doing my part in stimulating the economy by sending back the conformer Art Fawcett sent me today. :)

ET

One of the Regulars
I was at Heimie's Haberdashery in St Paul yesterday and Anthony, the owner, told me that they sold 17000 hats last year. What a nice gentlemens shop...

barrowjh

One Too Many
Socionomics

From a socionomic perspective, bear markets reflect a turn to pessimism, while the bull markets reflect optimism. Optimism fosters openness, while pessimism is more withdrawn, closed. Snap-brim hats (snapped down in front, of course) are more consistent with a bear market mood, but any hat 'puts a lid on it' for the bear mood.

duggap

Banned
Gosh, I just wish the bad times were not real, but they are. Mary Kay always said her sales went up when recession set in. Judging from Art's wait time, he must not be suffering too much from the recession. I know as soon as tax season is over he is getting an order for two more. I could easily live the next twenty years with just the hats that I have, but I still intend to get more.

Pduck

One of the Regulars
One of the late night comedians said that if this recession is anything like the great depression of the 1930s, we'll have better dressed homeless people - and then showed a picture of a depression soupline with all the men wearing dress fedoras.

1928-great-depression.jpg

Neil

A-List Customer
Heimie's

I was in Heimie's during the convention in St. Paul last September. I agree. Lovely store. Nice barber shop. Enthusiastic sales people. But my goodness, the prices of those hats. . .they wanted $100 more for a Stetson beaver-felt hat than the best price I could find online.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany