Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ELMC Californian jacket

SJC

Suspended
Hello Fedora lounge members,
I want to purchase the ELMC Californian jacket in Havana Brown. Has anyone experienced buying from the Company called Preservation? I read their site which says if you are a size 40, you order a size 40 and not to question them b/c they know leather more than you. I was told from the owner of a well known Company, "Leather doesn't stretch but it "gives" in certain areas of the body."
Has anyone sized one size down in their jackets and were happy??? Any information would be appreciated as their shipping is not cheap .Thank You.
Steven

Jaime

One of the Regulars
Hello SJC, there are a lot of members here with more experience with Eastman than me, but I ve tried their steer and their warhorse and in both cases pretty tight cuts (still in my aceptable range of body measurements tough) and it is true that eventually the jacket "gives" to your own body if certain areas were a bit tight at the beginning, but of course you have to know that the jacket is not going to grow a couple of inches magically.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I would say get in touch straight with ELC... Rob is very helpful and a very nice guy, and will measure any stock jacket for you.
You could also use the measurements on the History Preservation website, they are accurate.

Regarding your questions, i agree that leather doesn't stretch that much, ie you wont get a jacket that's a size too small to stretch and fit.
But it will give a little in high tension areas, like the elbows, even more so when humid.

Personally i didn't size down with my Californian, and i can't say i would recommend it, it is a very slim jacket, it works very well if you are V shaped.
It is probably the most restrictive one i own though. Mostly because the arms are so thin they really impede forward reach.
Still an awesome jacket though, but i mostly wear it in summer, because the lining is very cool, and i can't really fit a jumper under it.

Here is my review of it:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/elmc-californian-review.82777/

And the measurements:

https://www.historypreservation.com...fornian-vintage-style-half-belt-jacket-black/

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Charles from HPA is very helpful and very knowledgeable. As you've seen, HPA includes detailed measurements and sizing advice. If you have any concerns, you should contact HPA and ask for advice. The good part is that Charles is also a size 40, so his advice will apply to you. BTW - the ELMC Californian is a stunner, esp. in Havana brown.

SJC

Suspended
I want to purchase the ELMC Californian jacket in Havana Brown. Has anyone experienced buying from the Company called Preservation? I read their site which says if you are a size 40, you order a size 40 and not to question them b/c they know leather more than you. I was told from the owner of a well known Company, "Leather doesn't stretch but it "gives" in certain areas of the body." Has anyone sized one size down in their jackets and were happy??? Any information would be appreciated as their shipping is not cheap .Thank You.
Steven
Hello SJC, there are a lot of members here with more experience with Eastman than me, but I ve tried their steer and their warhorse and in both cases pretty tight cuts (still in my aceptable range of body measurements tough) and it is true that eventually the jacket "gives" to your own body if certain areas were a bit tight at the beginning, but of course you have to know that the jacket is not going to grow a couple of inches magically.
Thank You.

SJC

Suspended
Charles from HPA is very helpful and very knowledgeable. As you've seen, HPA includes detailed measurements and sizing advice. If you have any concerns, you should contact HPA and ask for advice. The good part is that Charles is also a size 40, so his advice will apply to you. BTW - the ELMC Californian is a stunner, esp. in Havana brown.
Thank You.

SJC

Suspended
I would say get in touch straight with ELC... Rob is very helpful and a very nice guy, and will measure any stock jacket for you.
You could also use the measurements on the History Preservation website, they are accurate.

Regarding your questions, i agree that leather doesn't stretch that much, ie you wont get a jacket that's a size too small to stretch and fit.
But it will give a little in high tension areas, like the elbows, even more so when humid.

Personally i didn't size down with my Californian, and i can't say i would recommend it, it is a very slim jacket, it works very well if you are V shaped.
It is probably the most restrictive one i own though. Mostly because the arms are so thin they really impede forward reach.
Still an awesome jacket though, but i mostly wear it in summer, because the lining is very cool, and i can't really fit a jumper under it.

Here is my review of it:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/elmc-californian-review.82777/

And the measurements:

https://www.historypreservation.com...fornian-vintage-style-half-belt-jacket-black/
Thank You soooo much. Are their cuffs longer than other companies? I hate long cuffs. I like it to come to the wrist bone.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Thank You soooo much. Are their cuffs longer than other companies? I hate long cuffs. I like it to come to the wrist bone.

Not sure what you mean.

At 25" on a size 42R the arms aren't particularly long. I think that's probably even a bit under average.
The cuffs are normal and in proportion.
What i meant is diameter wise, the arms are very thin, especially at the biceps (not that i have pythons for arms) and the arm holes are very high.
The jacket can be a bit constricted in the biceps and arm pits, and even though it has a back swing, reaching forward or up isn't the most comfortable and driving in it isn't great.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Not sure what you mean.

At 25" on a size 42R the arms aren't particularly long. I think that's probably even a bit under average.

I recall some talk here that the arms were pretty short really and that the Tall version of the jacket had "normal" length sleeves. Not knocking the jacket as it's stunning, but someone even 6 ft tall would probably require the Tall version.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I recall some talk here that the arms were pretty short really and that the Tall version of the jacket had "normal" length sleeves. Not knocking the jacket as it's stunning, but someone even 6 ft tall would probably require the Tall version.

Completely agree with you. I am 6'3 and the arms of the 42L being 25.5" are as short as i would want them to be.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I'm a big fan of this jacket. In the first 4 minutes of the Video I try on a size 44 in Walnut and a Size 46 in Havana Brown. I sold the 46, Just a bit big for me. I wear the 44 a good deal. It is just an easy wearing jacket. The sleeves in the 44 are shorter which I like. Neither of mine were purchased new. Contact the rep for the best information on sizing.

Maybe the video will help.

HPA Rep

Vendor
I want to purchase the ELMC Californian jacket in Havana Brown. Has anyone experienced buying from the Company called Preservation? I read their site which says if you are a size 40, you order a size 40 and not to question them b/c they know leather more than you. I was told from the owner of a well known Company, "Leather doesn't stretch but it "gives" in certain areas of the body."
Has anyone sized one size down in their jackets and were happy??? Any information would be appreciated as their shipping is not cheap .Thank You.
Steven

Hello, Steven! Our name is History Preservation Associates, actually. What our website states under the SIZING TIPS tab for this product, specifically TIP 1, is as follows:

About this Style: This style is trim, though one of our easier-wearing designs. Individuals with average, athletic or lean body types can be accommodated in this style without major issues, though it may take some work to establish the correct size for a select number of customers.

Tip 1: Follow the instructions entitled “How to Use Product Measures to Obtain a Good Fit” listed under the PRODUCT MEASUREMENTS tab for this product. After finding no substantive conflicts with your body measures obtained from the tab entitled BODY MEASURING, order this garment with no less than 3" - 4”of room in excess of your chest measure if you prefer a trim fit throughout, thus if you have a 40” chest circumference measure, order size 40. The majority of customers should order a jacket size equal to their chest measure for a trim fit: chest measures 40”, order jacket size 40. Please do not think you know more about our products than we do and order a jacket size that is smaller than your chest measure: chest measures 40”, order size 38. Ordering a size smaller than your chest measure will result in your regret and a waste of time and your money in shipping expenses back and forth. If a roomier or longer fit is desired, then order the next available size after reviewing all relative measures that pertain to that size. Those whose chest measure falls on an odd number, such as 41” or 43”, will have to determine if they want less room or more room when selecting a jacket size.

What we state is that we know our products better than someone who is shopping for one and that no one should order a size down from their chest measure (ouch - that would be uncomfortable!). Ordering a roomier size is said to be an alternative after one has reviewed their relative body data and product data found on our website.

Sizing up is a choice made by about 40% of the buyers of this style, and almost always those who are ordering sizes 44 and 46, but the smaller sizes, which seem to be sold to those of leaner builds, are typically ordered on the basis we outline, where chest size equals jacket size.

Indeed, as pointed out here, I have a chest measure of 40" and wear size 40R in this style, which you can see me modeling on our thread, as well as on an independent thread covering this jacket style. I own two of these jackets, and one has a chest measure that is + 0.5" above the posted measures and the other is - 0.5" below the posted measures. I do like trim fits and can wear a sweater (body-hugging types) under both jackets with no discomfort.

As we state on the website, the listed measures are derived by measuring many jackets of the same size, then averaging the numbers, resulting in the listed numbers, but we will happily check and measure any jacket before shipping to a customer if you have a specific need.

If you have any questions, I encourage you to please contact us for support. We have every size in stock in just about every color, which includes longs, but extra longs are obtained via order only.

If I may ask, please, what are you looking for in terms of color and what are your body measures we reference on the website's BODY MEASURING tab?

Thank you for the interest!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Charles has given a lot more info above but my ELMC jacket (although a Roadstar and not a Californian) definitely fits true to size.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko