Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The End of an Era.

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Elaina said:
As to good old George wearing tees and jeans, I doubt it. Look at out politicans now...how many do you see like that? It ruins the image, and lets face it, people trust suits. Banks see this alot. I don't bank at the local place that lets the girls fall out of their clothing, and the men wear jeans, I go to the bank with the men in suits and the women in dresses. Why? Because I feel my money is safer with folks that dress well.
:eek:fftopic: ....Which is exactly one of the reasons why I tend to dress more formally for work, despite it not being a dictated necessity. Non-casual modes of dress lend an air of respect and competence among associates at work, and from the public. I happen to love the look, too. ;)

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
Styles change. Mores change. Society changes. After WW2 the economy had opened to a wider participation by all segments of our society. Increased prosperity, increased access to education for all Americans. There was increased acceptance of different cultures and social classes. All this input had to change the status quo, and it did. The best thing today is that we can appreciate the best parts of the past and choose to preserve what we like.

The world's an ever-changing thing. If you look at it, we've worked our way to where we are, slowly, but surely (quicker at certain periods of time, though.) In rural areas, I still know a handfull of people clinging to some Victorian ways of thinking. I still have a bit of that mindset, myself.

I think the pendulum analogy rings true, as well. People get to far one way and need a change, then we work our way in the other direction. The roaring 20's worked its way up to the prim and proper fifties and I think we're finally starting to see the swing away from informality once again. Speaking in generalities, of course.

We have a ton more than we did then, as far as rights, technology, etc. I think some folks are finally figuring out formality and modern society can live together.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Not in my neck of the woods.

The only reason most of us here have an inkling that formality and modern society can live together is because we're here. The internet allows this communication between people who would not have been able to otherwise. But we're a miniscule group, as are any other sites like this. The great masses have no clue.

amador

A-List Customer
The Bomb

If the world can be destroyed in a few minutes why wait for the future. Deferred gratification gave way to immediate gratification.

The Pill

See "The Bomb" above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot