Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__Dec_14__1940_.jpg
I guess I don't get around enough, but I had no idea "socially prominent whittler" was even a thing.

Daily_News_Sat__Dec_14__1940_(1).jpg

Wait, you mean footballs really aren't made of pigskin? What's this world coming to?

Daily_News_Sat__Dec_14__1940_(2).jpg

Joe runs into Queenie Hogg on the trolley and after she stomped on his foot that time, he gives her a very wide berth.

Daily_News_Sat__Dec_14__1940_(3).jpg

Just what's our little scamp been up to now?

Daily_News_Sat__Dec_14__1940_(4).jpg
Look, Tracy, I know you're trying to tone down the violence and all, but holding your gun like that isn't going to work.

Daily_News_Sat__Dec_14__1940_(5).jpg
Wilmer's only 20 or so, but he's already getting that middle-aged spread.

Daily_News_Sat__Dec_14__1940_(6).jpg
Andy can look forward to plenty of good clean wholesome fun.

Daily_News_Sat__Dec_14__1940_(7).jpg
Think fast.

Daily_News_Sat__Dec_14__1940_(8).jpg
Good to see the guys are all keeping up with their "go to work" resolution...

Daily_News_Sat__Dec_14__1940_(9).jpg
Ever notice that all comic strip judges get no respect at all?

...Police are investigating the death of a Park Slope milliner who was found kneeling in her bathroom with her head and hands submerged in a partly-filled bathtub. 46-year-old Miss May Murray was found in the bathroom of her apartment at 34 Montgomery Place by the building's caretaker, after he entered Miss Murray's apartment to use her telephone. No marks of violence were visible on the body, and an autopsy will be conducted to determine the cause of death....

"Miss May Murray was found in the bathroom of her apartment at 34 Montgomery Place by the building's caretaker, after he entered Miss Murray's apartment to use her telephone." [emphasis mine] Hmm.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Dec_14__1940_(3).jpg
(Actually, she just asked him what hotel he was a doorman for.)...

I bet he bought that from Andy.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Dec_14__1940_(6).jpg (You can tell Slim has led a life of serious dissipation -- he looks older than his mother. Or maybe he *is* -- that'd be an interesting twist.)...

Actress Jessie Royce Landis is only seven years older than Cary Grant, yet she played his mother in "North by Northwest." My guess, that's probably not even Hollywood's most mismatched parent-child age pairing.

.... Daily_News_Sat__Dec_14__1940_.jpg I guess I don't get around enough, but I had no idea "socially prominent whittler" was even a thing....

Nor did I, but if he has evidence to back up his claim, the wife will have so some splainin' to do.

Re "The Catch" (not Dwight Clark's), didn't we see a similar thing recently where someone successfully caught someone falling out of a building? What are the odds of that happening, twice?

Re the model, I believe the internet expression that applies here is "pics or it didn't happen."

... Daily_News_Sat__Dec_14__1940_(1).jpg
Wait, you mean footballs really aren't made of pigskin? What's this world coming to?...

The equipment manager for the Washington Redshins was seen waiting for Davega to open.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A purge in the highest levels of the Vichy France government has cost Vice Premier Pierre Laval his position. The man who has done more than any other to align France with the Axis was last night stripped of all his ranks and offices and placed under house arrest by direct order of Premier Marshal Henri Petain. Swiss reports state that the action was ostensibly taken against Laval after he proposed that he should go to Paris to represent the Vichy Government at ceremonies marking the return of the remains of Napoleon's son from Germany to France, an honor Marshal Petain wished to reserve for himself, but it is speculated that the real reason is that Laval was plotting to set up a counter-government with himself as its head.

The British offensive in the western desert rolled up to the Libyan frontier last night where Fascist forces, harassed by punishing naval bombardment and continuing air attacks upon their chief air bases, strove desperately to prevent Gen. Archibald Wavell's troops from pouring across the border. In London, responsible Egyptian sources stated that news of the British capture of Sollum, frontier base just across the Libyan border, was accepted shortly.

Radio will sound very different as of New Years' Day, with no sign of a break in the royalty impasse between NBC and CBS on the one side, and the American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers on the other. The networks have already issued orders that as of the stroke of midnight on January 1st, dance orchestras are banned from featuring any improvised solos by musicians for fear that snatches of proscribed ASCAP compositions might find their way into the performance. With such musical ad-libbing a key part of swing music, orchestra leaders fear that their ability to perform on the air will be severely compromised. The ban on ASCAP compositions will also banish nearly all of radio's familiar theme songs from the air, from Rudy Vallee's "My Time is Your Time" to Bob Hope's "Thanks For The Memory" to Amos 'n' Andy's "Perfect Song." The broadcasters have already formed their own rival music-copyright bureau, Broadcast Music Incorporated, which has prepared modern-style arrangements of such public domain favorites of the 19th Century as "Jeannie With The Light Brown Hair," "Nearer My God To Thee," "Polly Wolly Doodle," and "Drink To Me Only With Thine Eyes." BMI has also attracted its own corps of non-ASCAP songwriters who are said to have plenty of new popular music ready for release on January 1st. At least a hundred Brooklyn songwriters belonging to ASCAP will see their compositions placed on the radio ban list, but most are confident that the elimination of their works from the radio will be accompanied by a boost in the sales of sheet music and phonograph records.

The official publication of the Brooklyn local of the Teachers Union reveals that membership in that organization has lost 442 members in the last two months, but an editorial in the paper denied that there has seen a "dramatic loss" of members. 127 new members have joined the union since the start of the present term, and the union has grown from 1485 members in 1935 to 5905 as of this month. The union has been under fire by the Rapp-Courdert Committee and its attorney Paul Wendel, but the editorial declares that any thought that it is being deserted by its members as "wishful thinking" by the Committee and its anti-union supporters.

A shouting match between City Council President Newbold Morris and Queens Councilman William N. Conrad escalated into a physical confrontation between the 6-foot-4 Council president and the 5-foot-5 councilman that ended with Morris being lifted off his feet by Conrad, carried across the room, and thrown across a desk. The argument revolved around Mr. Conrad's desire for Charles F. Haase to continue as foreman in the office of the Queens Borough President, despite having reached the mandatory city retirement age of 70. When Mr. Morris refused to countenance Mr. Conrad's proposal, and demanded that he "shut up," Mr. Conrad inquired "who the hell do you think you are?" When in response to that inquiry Mr. Morris began to doff his coat, Mr. Conrad jumped him and flung him over the desk, declaring "I guess that'll teach you you're not fooling around with a little boy!" Further discussion of the incident revealed that Mr. Morris had mistaken Mr. Conrad for someone else in dismissing his proposal, and apologies were tendered all around. It is said, however, that Mr. Conrad is very annoyed with Mr. Morris today for making the fracas public.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Dec_15__1940_.jpg

The owner of a Midwood garage who has complained without success to police about motorists and taxicab drivers blocking access to his driveway has taken matters into his own hands. Isaac Baron, operator of the Barco Garage on East 16th Street has set up an elaborate barricade, cutting off the driveway from cross-traffic from Avenue P and Kings Highway. On the Avenue P side, a sign reading STREET CLOSED has been set up, suppoted by heavy stanchions driven into the ground, and on the Kings Highway side, a similar barricade reading PRIVATE PROPERTY KEEP OUT has been erected. City officials advised Mr. Baron they could do nothing about his complaint since that particular stretch of East 16th Street seems to, in fact, be private property. The garage fronts about two hundred feet along the east side of the street, opposite a BMT embankment on the opposite side, and an examination of city records reveals that the city never took title to that piece of the road.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(1).jpg

("Hey," says Sally. "Wherezapaypa? I wanna fillinnat movie contes'." "What paypa?? says Joe, shifting slightly in his chair to ensure that no portion of it is visible.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(2).jpg
The word "yoga" might bring to mind images of Hindu fakirs snoozing comfortably on beds of nails, but in fact, to Donu Edmond, once of Calcutta and now of Forest Hills, it is a method of physical control and relaxation that can bring many physical and mental benefits to those who practice it. He studied the method with expert practitioners in India from the age of 14 to the age of 24, and has since brought its techiniques to clients around the world. He now operates a studio in Manhattan, called "Prana," and has attracted many curious clients. "Yoga is not only philosophy," he declares. "Yoga is also the world's most perfect and effective body training that regenerates the mind and the whole nervous system."

The intercession of Football Dodgers owner Dan Topping has excused Ace Parker from participation in the upcoming Pro Bowl all-star game in Los Angeles. League President Carl Storck had ordered Parker to report to Los Angeles and play in the game on pain of expulsion from the league, but that order has now been rescinded. "I don't know what he said," responded Parker to the owner's intercession, "but I'm grateful." Parker indicated that he will play in charity exhibition games in Norfolk and Richmond, Va., but otherwise he is saving himself for the baseball season.

Ten of the sixteen major league baseball clubs will participate in the Grapefruit League next spring, including the Dodgers -- who, while basing their camp in Havana, will regularly fly to the mainland to take on Florida-based opponents. More than a hundred exhibition games have been scheduled among the various clubs for the spring-training season, beginning in late February.

Tennis star Alice Marble will make her professional debut at Madison Square Garden on January 6th, facing Mary Hardwick of England. Miss Marble has begun a program of physical training "as rigorous as that of a pugilist" to prepare for the match.

Old Timer Ed Evans wants to hear from fellow residents of the old Seventh Ward who remember the glorious snowball fights between the youngsters of PS 45 and their blood enemies from PS 11.

World War I, World War II, it's all the same to Wild Bill Donovan, on the front of TREND this week...

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(3).jpg

Dot Remy may weigh 204 pounds, but that just makes her acrobatics more exciting as she flips and twirls thru her act in Ed Wynn's smash Broadway revue "Boys and Girls Together." Dot is just nineteen years old, and has been on the stage for sixteen of those years in a tumbling act with her brother Dick. When she began to gain weight a few years ago it unnerved her until she realized she could still do all her routines as well as she ever had. When she was in rehearsal with the Wynn troupe she was worried when she started to lose weight -- but happily, she gained it back during the first week after the show opened.

Jack Benny broadcasts from New York tonight at 7 on WEAF. It's the gelatin funster's first of two local appearances this month, sandwiching the premiere of his "feud comedy" with Fred Allen, "Love Thy Neighbor," which opens at the N. Y. Paramount on Tuesday.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(4).jpg
("I'm just like a prairie fire, gettin' hotter every hour....")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(5).jpg

(Don't Ask, Don't Tell.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(6).jpg
(Not only that, Mrs. Williams sets her hair with oil and vinegar.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(7).jpg
(Hey, my father took me to a pool room, and I turned out all right. And who needs those nanny-state chute-wearers out to ruin everyone's fun?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(8).jpg
(This is good, but it'd be more accurate if every other thing he tuned into was that damn Pepsi-Cola jingle.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__Dec_15__1940_.jpg
"The girl, who has quit school to cook and keep house for her husband is sure that everything will work out fine." **sigh***

Daily_News_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(1).jpg
I dunno, Miss Quigley, I liked "In Dubious Battle" even better.

Daily_News_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(2).jpg
HE KILLED THE SKUNK GIVE HIM THE CHAIR

Daily_News_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(3).jpg

Now just a minute there, Sam. That's not from the Bible.

Daily_News_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(4).jpg
Bet you wished you'd slipped some of the gold out of that Aztec cave and into your pocket now, doncha kid?

Daily_News_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(5).jpg
Sure, Jack's a great pilot. But he's also -- well, he's also kind of an idiot.

Daily_News_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(6).jpg
Actually, I bet this is exactly how Barrymore started.

Daily_News_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(7).jpg
Awwwww. Walt, Doc, Avery, and Bill used to enjoy harmonizing out in the Alley back in the old days. Nice to see they've still got the knack.

Daily_News_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(8).jpg

Trolling the enemy is a big part of a successful resistance.

Daily_News_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(9).jpg
Poor Kayo. He'll never be Shadow's equal as a soda fountain mooch if he's willing to settle for sink water.

A shouting match between City Council President Newbold Morris and Queens Councilman William N. Conrad escalated into a physical confrontation between the 6-foot-4 Council president and the 5-foot-5 councilman that ended with Morris being lifted off his feet by Conrad, carried across the room, and thrown across a desk. The argument revolved around Mr. Conrad's desire for Charles F. Haase to continue as foreman in the office of the Queens Borough President, despite having reached the mandatory city retirement age of 70. When Mr. Morris refused to countenance Mr. Conrad's proposal, and demanded that he "shut up," Mr. Conrad inquired "who the hell do you think you are?" When in response to that inquiry Mr. Morris began to doff his coat, Mr. Conrad jumped him and flung him over the desk, declaring "I guess that'll teach you you're not fooling around with a little boy!" Further discussion of the incident revealed that Mr. Morris had mistaken Mr. Conrad for someone else in dismissing his proposal, and apologies were tendered all around. It is said, however, that Mr. Conrad is very annoyed with Mr. Morris today for making the fracas public...

How much would you like to see a video of 6'4" Conrad lifting 5'5" Morris up, carrying him across the room and throwing him across a desk? It would already be viral today.

...The owner of a Midwood garage who has complained without success to police about motorists and taxicab drivers blocking access to his driveway has taken matters into his own hands. Isaac Baron, operator of the Barco Garage on East 16th Street has set up an elaborate barricade, cutting off the driveway from cross-traffic from Avenue P and Kings Highway. On the Avenue P side, a sign reading STREET CLOSED has been set up, suppoted by heavy stanchions driven into the ground, and on the Kings Highway side, a similar barricade reading PRIVATE PROPERTY KEEP OUT has been erected. City officials advised Mr. Baron they could do nothing about his complaint since that particular stretch of East 16th Street seems to, in fact, be private property. The garage fronts about two hundred feet along the east side of the street, opposite a BMT embankment on the opposite side, and an examination of city records reveals that the city never took title to that piece of the road....

Come on reporters do your job, who owns the piece of private property - Isaac Brown? Does the city now plan to buy it via eminent domain? Is what Brown did going to stand?

... Daily_News_Sun__Dec_15__1940_.jpg "The girl, who has quit school to cook and keep house for her husband is sure that everything will work out fine." **sigh***....

Is she a naive young girl or playing long-ball for the cash?

...[ Daily_News_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(1).jpg I dunno, Miss Quigley, I liked "In Dubious Battle" even better....

I'm not sure that a fan of "Stella Dallas" would necessarily be a fan of Steinbeck. My first recommendation would be to see if she read the big hit of '39, "Kitty Foyle." That would be up her alley. If she's read that, then I'd have recommended something by Ursula Parrot or Rex Beach.

... Daily_News_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(2).jpg HE KILLED THE SKUNK GIVE HIM THE CHAIR....

Gould worked really, really hard for that final punchline.

... Daily_News_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(3).jpg
Now just a minute there, Sam. That's not from the Bible....

I read some other books too Lizzie; it pays to be well rounded even being, well, you know.

.. Daily_News_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(5).jpg Sure, Jack's a great pilot. But he's also -- well, he's also kind of an idiot.....

What would you prefer, Mr. Beaverduck's head full of quarters or a million dollars?

Joy, dear, umm, just so you know, you are supposed to wear a dress over your full slip - at least until the '80s when Madonna made wearing underwear in public okay.

... Daily_News_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(6).jpg Actually, I bet this is exactly how Barrymore started.....

So does Ann Sheridan or her studio get the royalty payment?

And, hey, at least it's a new joke this Sunday.

... Daily_News_Sun__Dec_15__1940_(8).jpg
Trolling the enemy is a big part of a successful resistance.....

Good stuff, but what happened to Hu Shee having to find Dr. Ping's glasses for the invaders he works for?

There's no need to ask if the wings are coming off, you'll know that soon enough.
8 (2).png

Extra treats for Rex.
10 (2).png

I'm not saying we do it, but the plane could probably fly twice as fast if we tossed Beaverduck out. His head alone must way eighty pounds. Just noting it.
11 (2).png

I'm amending my prior comment, Beaverduck's okay, we need to toss out all the crybabies in the back.
13 (2).png

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'l say this for our friends in Chicago, they know better than to persecute good dogs.

Jack is kind of a dope, but between him and Mr. Dunn, I've learned more about flying in the last two weeks than I ever knew in my life. The funnies are EDUCATIONAL.

We can see, incidentially, in the fashion page up above, where Lana gets her clothing tips.

We've run across the I AM movement in the News a few times, but I have the feeling that Father Divine would tell them to scram, he's working this side of the street.

EngProf

Practically Family
I'l say this for our friends in Chicago, they know better than to persecute good dogs.

Jack is kind of a dope, but between him and Mr. Dunn, I've learned more about flying in the last two weeks than I ever knew in my life. The funnies are EDUCATIONAL.

We can see, incidentially, in the fashion page up above, where Lana gets her clothing tips.

We've run across the I AM movement in the News a few times, but I have the feeling that Father Divine would tell them to scram, he's working this side of the street.

As an aeronautical engineer, I can say that most of the aircraft/piloting information presented so far is very close to being dead-on correct. (I am in a state of shock that *anything* in Dan Dunn makes sense.)
Adding one more bit of aeronautical information, planes don't crash due to ice being heavy and weighing down the plane. Even a thin layer of ice can disrupt the air flow over the wings and result in a stall and crash. Smilin'Jack took care of the problem exactly as he should have. Also, Dan Dunn's advice that a normal stall isn't dangerous if you have sufficient altitude to recover is also exactly right.

On another EDUCATIONAL aspect of the funnies, Eisenhower, Bradley, and Montgomery should have read "Little Orphan Annie" in 1940, and in 1944 remembered Sam's strategic advice about making your guard most-strong where the enemy seems weakest. Those three military geniuses ignored that advice, with the result being the surprise German offensive that became the Battle of the Bulge.
(Perhaps Sam did a stint in his past as an instructor at the Army War College.)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
On another EDUCATIONAL aspect of the funnies, Eisenhower, Bradley, and Montgomery should have read "Little Orphan Annie" in 1940, and in 1944 remembered Sam's strategic advice about making your guard most-strong where the enemy seems weakest. Those three military geniuses ignored that advice, with the result being the surprise German offensive that became the Battle of the Bulge.
(Perhaps Sam did a stint in his past as an instructor at the Army War College.)

Aside from the gallant stand at Bastogne by the 101st Airborne, indelibly etched blood in the annals of Mars,
the Allied lines stretched out across northern Europe, France and Belgium to Switzerland. The Ardennes
posed difficult, lousy terrain unsuited to armor; however, your point is well taken. Imaginative leadership,
cognizance of Teutonic drive, and aggressiveness momentarily failed the Allies.

EngProf

Practically Family
Aside from the gallant stand at Bastogne by the 101st Airborne, indelibly etched blood in the annals of Mars,
the Allied lines stretched out across northern Europe, France and Belgium to Switzerland. The Ardennes
posed difficult, lousy terrain unsuited to armor; however, your point is well taken. Imaginative leadership,
cognizance of Teutonic drive, and aggressiveness momentarily failed the Allies.

Definitely no criticism of the 101st was stated or implied. If anything, they were some of the victims of the higher-level intelligence failures, since they had to fight hard to fix the situation.
I was a civilian volunteer at the 101st Airborne Museum for about ten years and I/we told a lot of museum visitors about "The Battered Bastards of Bastogne" and their winter fight in the Ardennes.
Purely by coincidence, there is an element of "the era day by day" to this topic, since Dec 16 is exactly the 76th Anniversary of the initial German attack in the Ardennes.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Definitely no criticism of the 101st was stated or implied. If anything, they were some of the victims of the higher-level intelligence failures, since they had to fight hard to fix the situation.
I was a civilian volunteer at the 101st Airborne Museum for about ten years and I/we told a lot of museum visitors about "The Battered Bastards of Bastogne" and their winter fight in the Ardennes.
Purely by coincidence, there is an element of "the era day by day" to this topic, since Dec 16 is exactly the 76th Anniversary of the initial German attack in the Ardennes.

Read you Lima Charlie, no criticism of the 101st was taken, my reply was more directed at the immediate
tactical/strategic situation. Ex-101st.:)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
British troops are now "well across the Libyan frontier," according to a high-level communique, as they continue their smashing offensive against Fascist troops in North Africa. The British offensive has cleared all Italian forces from Egyptian soil with the exception of a small pocket of fortified resistance at Sollum. Meanwhile, British planes rained destruction upon a concentration of Italian warships in Naples harbor, scoring five direct hits on cruisers and destroyers, and dumping heavy bombs around two battleships.

French Premier Marshal Petain will learn today how Germany feels about the latest shakeup in the Vichy cabinet, with German envoy Otto Abetz arriving late today from Paris. The ouster of former Vice Premier Pierre Laval is said to have roused anger in Berlin, to the point where Petain himself may find his job in jeopardy.

A taxpayers' suit challenging the legality of contracts for 250 buses intended to replace trolley routes along the path of the Fulton Street L may mean further delays in the demolition of the hulking fifty-year-old L structure. The leases with the Twin Coach Company are being opposed by taxpayers demanding that the trolley routes be retained, but doing so will mean rerouting the trolley power lines now supported by the L structure, with the Board of Estimate arguing that such work would cost up to $500,000, and could delay demolition of the L for months. Borough President John Cashmore defended the bus contracts today, declaring that his primary goal all along has been removal of the L by the most expeditious and cost-effective means possible.

A Naval board of inquiry will investigate a seaplane accident which claimed the lives of two men in Long Island Sound yesterday. Lieut. James Stanley Tyler and Machinist Pasquale Siclari died when their plane went into an apparent stall and plunged into the Sound off the coast of New Rochelle. Commandant of the 3rd Naval District Rear Admiral Clark Woodward of the Brooklyn Navy Yard ordered a full probe of the accident to determine whether pilot error or a flaw in the aircraft was responsible.

A smiling young man with a soft Southern accident is in town looking for a winter job -- but whether it will be in the Army or in the Brooklyn Dodgers' office on Montague Street remains to be seen. Harold "Pee Wee" Reese, whose stellar rookie season with the Flock was cut short in August by a broken ankle made his first return to New York today for a medical examination, after spending the past three months recovering from his injury at his home in Louisville. Reese is wearing a heavy high-topped shoe to support the injured ankle, but is otherwise walking and moving around smoothly, and hopes are high that he will make a strong return to the Dodger lineup in the spring -- unless, that is, he receives a letter from Uncle Sam. Reese has a low draft number, and as an unmarried twenty-one-year-old in good health with no dependents, he is likely to be among the first Dodgers to get the call from the Army. His contract with the Dodgers expired with the end of the season, and he is not yet signed for 1941 -- but he is hoping that Larry MacPhail will offer him some kind of work in the club office to keep him busy until that detail is resolved. "Right now," says Pee Wee, "I'm unemployed."

New York State presidential electors are meeting today to cast forty-seven votes for President Roosevelt, after hearing Governor Herbert H. Lehman laud the President as "the great leader of a free people out to defend their homes and their way of life."

In London, reports are circulating that Prime Minister Winston Churchill has offered the position of Ambassador to the United States to David Lloyd George. Despite his 77 years, Lloyd George is said to be "in vigorous health." There has been no official confirmation that he will be offered the post, or if he is offered the post, whether or not he will accept it.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_16__1940_.jpg

(Not as much fun as a fire engine.)

Six men between the ages of 19 and 28 face charges of rape or attempted rape after a mass assault on a 17-year-old Polish girl at a cellar club in Greenpoint. Police say a total of sixteen men beat the girl before she was criminally assaulted by at least three of them, and further charges are expected. The attack occured last night in the club at 679 Metropolitan Avenue, after the girl was led there by a former schoolmate, 18 year old Jerry Gallo of 181 Kingsland Avenue. Gallo is one of those being held on $1500 bail on a rape charge. The girl managed to escape from the cellar with her clothes in tatters, and neighborhood residents, overhearing her screams, called the police.

There will be no Nobel Peace Prize awarded in 1940, it was announced today.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_16__1940_(1).jpg
(Ho Ho *kaff! hack! gasp! hawk! spit!* Ho!)

It's not so long ago that Bensonhurst was all farmland, owned by the Benson family as part of the former Township of New Utrecht. That changed just fifty-two years ago, when land developer bought up the property and opened it up for residential use. The section grew quickly to the bustling district it is today thanks to the rapid spread of trolley and subway routes into the area during the 1890s. Were it not for that, goats and chickens might yet roam the section even now.

("Hah!" snickers Sally. "Goats an' chickens! 'Magginnat. I c'n see you walkin' 'roun'inna big straw hat annem tall boots, witta piecea' hay inya mouth." "Ha ha," replies Joe. "Funny stuff ta say f'a goil f'm Pigtown.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_16__1940_(2).jpg

(If they could have found a way to jam Don Ameche and Tyrone Power in here, this would be the Most 20th Century Foxest Film Of All Time. Allen Jenkins is in it too, presumably because he got lost on his way to Warners,)

At the Patio this week, see Wayne Morris in a dual role as a dumb college football star and his brainy twin brother in "The Quarterback," paired with George Stevens in the British medical drama "The Outsider." Sorry, no cash given away this time.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_16__1940_(3).jpg

"B-U-L-O-V-A, Bulova Watch Time" isn't just an announcement you hear on the radio when you live in Woodside, where the Bulova factory is experiencing its busiest year ever. Company President John H. Ballard says the firm is considering further expanding the Woodside plant, which has picked up much of the production lost at the company's plant in Switzerland due to the war. More than 2000 persons work at the Woodside factory, which is Bulova's only location for the manufacture of watch movements in the United States. Along with a plant in Sag Harbor, L. I. where watchcases are manufactured, the factory turns out more than 4000 complete watches every day.

Reader Geo. J. Beyer writes in to demand that something be done about "gangster type movies," which are having a bad influence on our young people, as proven by the boy recently arrested for shooting his school principal. That boy committed his violent act after a steady diet of Dead End kid gang and hoodlum type pictures, and how many other similar acts will occur before something is done?

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_16__1940_(4).jpg

(I imagine luck hasn't got much to do with it.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_16__1940_(5).jpg
(No blood on the ice? Youse guys are slipping.)

Joe Louis will get a light workout in Boston tonight as he takes on local hopeless Al McCoy. If you want to throw your money away, you can get 15-1 odds on a McCoy win. The "fight" as it were will be the Brown Bombers fourth title defense of 1940, and young Al figures to last only as long as Joe wants him to last.

There isn't much television going on these days, but what there is this week will originate from Madison Square Garden, with the NBC-W2XBS remote truck relaying an amateur boxing card tonight, a hockey game between the Rangers and the Boston Bruins tomorrow night, and on Saturday night a pair of college basketball games. Daytime test pattern broadcasts will continue as well.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_16__1940_(6).jpg
(C'mon, I wanna know what the deal is with Flunkey -- obviously a terrifying man-monkey chimera created in a secret underground laboratory. Let's go, Sparky, bust it up!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_16__1940_(7).jpg
("Sleep? In this building? Let me tell you a few things, pal...")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_16__1940_(8).jpg
(Tsk. Don't get your hopes up, Slim.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_16__1940_(9).jpg
(Awww, I really wanted to see Irwin flip the plane tail-over-teakettle.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_16__1940_.jpg
Yeah, like that.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_16__1940_(1).jpg
A hokey Count losing his shirt in an "ill fated investment in a French girlie show." What *is* this world coming to?

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_16__1940_(2).jpg
I transport my own sound effects gear in an old tube-caddy with little drawers for all the small gadgets, but I gotta say this is a lot snazzier. I am, however, at a loss to figure out what the paper bag is supposed to do. Unless it's simply "the sound of a paper bag."

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_16__1940_(3).jpg
Look, I know the book of Proverbs pretty well -- I cribbed from it when I wrote fortune cookies -- and I can tell ya right now, Sam is just winging this stuff.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_16__1940_(4).jpg
Hey fella, you ever hear of a cat spruce?

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_16__1940_(5).jpg
Wait, what? It feels like we missed some strips between Saturday and today, but the dates on the strips we got all match up, so I wonder if maybe the editor rejected something we didn't get to see?

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_16__1940_(6).jpg
"Wonder what Tula's up to?"

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_16__1940_(7).jpg
Nice work if you can get it.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_16__1940_(8).jpg
Go stick your head in the bear again, that ought to do it.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_16__1940_(9).jpg
Awwwwwwww.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_16__1940_.jpg
(Not as much fun as a fire engine.)...

But does he get to keep the cap?

...Six men between the ages of 19 and 28 face charges of rape or attempted rape after a mass assault on a 17-year-old Polish girl at a cellar club in Greenpoint. Police say a total of sixteen men beat the girl before she was criminally assaulted by at least three of them, and further charges are expected. The attack occured last night in the club at 679 Metropolitan Avenue, after the girl was led there by a former schoolmate, 18 year old Jerry Gallo of 181 Kingsland Avenue. Gallo is one of those being held on $1500 bail on a rape charge. The girl managed to escape from the cellar with her clothes in tatters, and neighborhood residents, overhearing her screams, called the police....

I've never twisted myself into knots over the death penalty.

...("Hah!" snickers Sally. "Goats an' chickens! 'Magginnat. I c'n see you walkin' 'roun'inna big straw hat annem tall boots, witta piecea' hay inya mouth." "Ha ha," replies Joe. "Funny stuff ta say f'a goil f'm Pigtown.")...

Sally's the smarter of the two, but Joe gets his shots in now and then.

... Daily_News_Mon__Dec_16__1940_.jpg Yeah, like that.....

No kidding, you can see why these comic strips were getting in on the flying action.

A...[ Daily_News_Mon__Dec_16__1940_(3).jpg Look, I know the book of Proverbs pretty well -- I cribbed from it when I wrote fortune cookies -- and I can tell ya right now, Sam is just winging this stuff.....

"Lizzie, I study all the philosophies of the world." - Sam

Wonder why Gray made him a suit presser and not a carpenter?

... Daily_News_Mon__Dec_16__1940_(5).jpg Wait, what? It feels like we missed some strips between Saturday and today, but the dates on the strips we got all match up, so I wonder if maybe the editor rejected something we didn't get to see?....

Definitely some continuity issues. But I love Dr. Ping trolling Hu Shee over Terry.

... Daily_News_Mon__Dec_16__1940_(9).jpg Awwwwwwww.

Uncredited guest writer for "Harold Teen" today was none other than born-again Harold Gray.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy