Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The real tragedy here is Lana wasting her time on Harold; she could and should be shooting higher.

Quite right. I'm just skimming the strip surface here, not conversant with the facts of the case,
and should recuse myself from any potential comment tortious liability. Illinois tier trice mitigation has
libidinous unintended consequence-the comic strip gals are hot and getting hotter.;)
Being the Irish poet scoundrel ba***rd that I is, is like the Sweet '16 World Series all over again
with the Cubs facing Indians' superb pitching,:eek: and I'm just suffering all over everything again.:(
Howze things in the Big Apple? Stay safe, happy new year.

Quite right. I'm just skimming the strip surface here, not conversant with the facts of the case,
and should recuse myself from any potential comment tortious liability. Illinois tier trice mitigation has
libidinous unintended consequence-the comic strip gals are hot and getting hotter.;)
Being the Irish poet scoundrel ba***rd that I is, is like the Sweet '16 World Series all over again
with the Cubs facing Indians' superb pitching,:eek: and I'm just suffering all over everything again.:(
Howze things in the Big Apple? Stay safe, happy new year.

Thank you and the same good wishes to you my friend. The Big Apple, like much of the county, has taken a hard body blow from Covid. Let's hope we all have a better 2021.

It's really amazing how much smart adult stuff was put in these GE comic strips. I'm glad you're starting to follow them with us.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'd lay out some serious coin for "The Complete Harold Teen 1919-1959." Several other of the News-Tribune strips have gotten the hardcover treatment over the past twenty years, including Tracy, Terry, Annie, and Gasoline Alley. A similar edition for the Covina bunch is long overdue -- not only is Carl Ed an oddly-compelling storyteller, the strip would offer an excellent research source for understanding pre-Boomer youth culture.

A "Complete Dan Dunn" would also be fascinating, but for all the wrong reasons.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. I've always considered comics as much an educational as entertainment medium;
all the more so now after reading these 1940s strip selections.
And insightful, mature content is quite a contrast to current media fare.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Defenses are falling fast today in Bardia under the mighty shock of every weapon in the British arsenal, and British military authorities have declared it that is "all up" with that Italian port and base in Libya. Nearly half of the concrete, stone, and steel fortification surrounding the town has been taken by British forces, and approximately a fourth to a third of the 20,000-man Italian garrison has been taken prisoner.

The Greeks last night claimed new advances toward the Albanian port of Valona, along with the capture of hundreds of Italian prisoners and guns and the probable destruction of an armed Italian auxiliary ship by a Greek submarine.

President Roosevelt will continue working today on his State of the Union message to be delivered tomorrow before a joint session of Congress, even as reports circulate in informed quarters that the President will call for the formation of a new government corporation to administer the projected Lease-Lend program of aid for Britain. It is anticipated that the President will, in his speech, declare that the nation should be placed on a "virtual wartime basis."

In Berlin, Nazi authorities are awaiting President Roosevelt's remarks amidst strong rumors that the tone of the speech and Congressional reaction to it will determine whether or not Germany will proceed with an attempted invasion of the British Isles. Should it become readily apparent that the United States is prepared to commit to a massive opening-up of American wealth and supplies to the British, it is believed in informed quarters that Germany will make a concerted effort to bring England to its knees before American aid can arrive.

State Senator Edward J. Coughlin of Brooklyn announced today that he will promote a bill in the incoming session of the State Legislature to define sabotage as a felony under state law, punishable by imprisonment of up to ten years and a fine of up to $5000. The bill, stated Sen. Coughlin, is modeled after the "criminal syndicalism" law on the books in the state of Oklahoma. Sen. Coughlin said that he will also propose a bill to ban the Communist Party from any ballot in the State of New York.

Charles Chaplin last night declined the Best Actor award voted to him by the New York Film Critics for his performance in "The Great Dictator." In a telegram to Bosley Crowther, motion picture critic of the New York Times and chairman of the Film Critics organization, Chaplin rejected the "competitive" approach to acting implied by the giving of awards, and decried the "electioneering" which often goes into deciding such awards.

Four songs you've probably never heard of were among the "ten most popular tunes of the week" on last night's broadcast of "Your Hit Parade" over the Columbia Broadcasting System, a result of the ongoing war between the radio networks and the American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers. An official of the Columbia network says the list was worked out just minutes before the broadcast took the air at 9 PM, and the selections "I Hear a Rhapsody," "Perfidio," "You Walked By," and "Keep An Eye On Your Heart" were added to the list after "a last minute huddle." The official declined to elaborate on the methods used to determine the popularity ranking of the songs. The selections "There I Go," controlled by Broadcast Music Inc, and "Frenesi," a non-ASCAP tune of Mexican origin, occupied the top two positions on the list, carried over from the previous week.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_5__1941_.jpg

(You notice Namm's doesn't run an ad like this.)

Fewer than half of American men of qualifying age are physically fit for the draft, according to the president of the American Osteopathic Association. Dr. F. A. Gordon declared yesterday before a convention of his organization in Michigan that "unless we devise some plan to put our population in physical condition we can look forward to a repetition of our World War experience, where more men died than were killed in action or of wounds, and the civilian population was scourged by epidemics." Dr. Gordon warned that American men in general are not suited for "rigorous outdoor life and physical labor in training camps."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(1).jpg

The most despised statue in the City of New York will finally be removed from Manhattan's City Hall Park, where it has blighted the landscape for eighteen years, and will be shifted to a parking lot behind the new Queens Borough Hall in Kew Gardens. "Civic Virtue" is the statue's official name, but it is known by many other names to the unimpressed public, among them "Bill Sykes Leaving The Bath" and "Fat Boy." The decision to move the statue to Queens was at first strongly resisted by Queens Borough President George Harvey, who declared that "no one will dump that statue in our borough," and it was subsequently proposed that "Fat Boy" be relocated to the wilds of Randall's Island, but Mr. Harvey finally relented after acknowledging that the new nine-acre parking lot would look barren without "some kind of decoration." The statue is being moved at no cost to Queens, which, according to Mr. Harvey, "is more than the city has ever done for the borough before." The statue is loathed especially by women, who resent its depiction of "Fat Boy" trampling on two prone female bodies designated "Vice" and "Corruption," and it is anticipated that Queens feminists will continue to protest its arrival in the borough. Former Mayor John F. Hyland considered the statue both "degrading and demoralizing," and Parks Commissioner Robert Moses, who condemned the figure as "an artistic monstrosity," has been trying to evict it from City Hall Plaza for years.

The Eagle Editorialists shrugs his shoulders after learning that charges against the remaining five defendants in the Christian Front seditious conspiracy case have been dismissed, and that they will not be retried after their original trial ended in a mistrial. "The outcome," he says, "should be accepted in the traditional American spirit."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(2).jpg

(At the Sign of the All Seeing Eye.)

Look for more blood on the ice tonight at the Garden as the Rangers and Americans continue their spirited National Hockey League rivalry. The Blueshirts have been hobbled of late by a wave of influenza, but they intend to shake off their enuui as they face the Amerks, who remain at the bottom of the circuit. Blocky Pat Eagan, flinty Starshirt defenseman, is looking forward to "knocking a few Rangers down."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(3).jpg

With only seven weeks to go before the Flock reports to their new Spring Training base in Havana, discussion of the 1941 rookie crop is conspicuous by its absence among the Faithful, as for the first time years, there is very little of a rookie crop to talk about. The 1941 Dodgers are ribbed with veterans, and 1940 rookies Pee Wee Reese and Pete Reiser have already proven their mettle. This year's Brooklyn squad consists largely of players picked up by shrewd dealing rather than the slow cultivation of young talent. Assuming an Opening Day starting lineup of Camilli, Coscarart, Reese, Lavagetto, Medwick, Reiser, Walker, Owen, and Wyatt, there won't be a single purely-homegrown player on the field -- and all but Lavagetto were acquired during the Larry MacPhail regime.

Old Timer Elizabeth Meserole remembers how proud Brooklynites used to boast that "we need no bridge!" But when the Brooklyn Bridge finally opened, she remembers the spectacular light display she saw from her home in Greenpoint, and realized that her beloved city had "gone from boy to man."

"The Handsomest Man In World Diplomacy" makes the front of TREND this week...

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(4).jpg

Eagle book critic Arthur Rhodes names Richard Wright's "Native Son" the best novel of 1940, declaring that it "establishes Wright as one of the greats of our lush era of fiction, when men are coming to see the land and its elements for what they truly are."

Madeline Carroll and Melvyn Douglas star in "Love Affair," tonight's presentation of the Gulf Screen Guild Theatre, 7:30 pm on WABC.

Tonight at the Patio it's John Ford's "Long Voyage Home," paired with Wallace Beery in "Wyoming." And don't forget -- FOLLOW THE CHECKS FOR CASH!

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(5).jpg
(Point of order: is it actually, really, physically possible to shoot a gun out of someone's hand without knocking them off their feet? Somehow I question the physics here.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(6).jpg
(And a big Eagle welcome to the new gal, who uses her miraculous power to become -- a street corner grifter? Better not let Tracy find out.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(7).jpg
(And you might recall that Mr. Ferrell got his unconditional release not long after, and took up golf. There must be a moral in that somewhere.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(8).jpg
(Hey Bill, you might try again. I think Slim's got a poetry book you could use. And "Dan Dunn Will Arrest You For This!" rings as a pretty lame threat, especially when the Face Eating Dog is right around the corner.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(9).jpg
(George is an idiot, and we know George is an idiot, but still -- there's something rather delightful about the Keatonesque grace with which he takes a pratfall.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(1).jpg
Family values.

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(2).jpg
(I used to have to cover Rotary Club meetings. Oh lordy.)

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(4).jpg
"Just a minute, Chief, I only need one more card to make gin."

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(5).jpg
**SNIF**

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(6).jpg
HAH! I looked up what you were doing in 1917, Andrew Gump, and you were a SLACKER! SO THERE!

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(7).jpg

Wah-wahh-wahhhhhhhhhhh.....

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(8).jpg
Somebody needs to call the SPCA on the Duchess there -- that dog ain't healthy. Poor thing.

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(9).jpg

Oh, this'll be good.

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(10).jpg
Poor Walt. Fatherhood is just one ritual humiliation after another.

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(11).jpg
These new "fastback" cars are really something.

In Berlin, Nazi authorities are awaiting President Roosevelt's remarks amidst strong rumors that the tone of the speech and Congressional reaction to it will determine whether or not Germany will proceed with an attempted invasion of the British Isles. Should it become readily apparent that the United States is prepared to commit to a massive opening-up of American wealth and supplies to the British, it is believed in informed quarters that Germany will make a concerted effort to bring England to its knees before American aid can arrive....

Interesting angle. We know it didn't happen, but at the time, it had to be something the US and UK were considering as a risk.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_5__1941_.jpg
(You notice Namm's doesn't run an ad like this.)...

They are all pretty sensible and reasonably timeless looks except for the "Gone With the Wind" most-expensive one.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(6).jpg (And a big Eagle welcome to the new gal, who uses her miraculous power to become -- a street corner grifter? Better not let Tracy find out.)...

I'll keep an open mind, but a really weak and, as you note, morally odd first effort for Invisible Girl.

... Daily_News_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(1).jpg Family values....

To be fair, only bad family stories make it to Page Four: it self selects a negative view of marriage.

The sister-brother marriages are something different though, even for Page Four. In a large enough country, I guess it has to happen by mistake now and then, but still, what are the odds?

... Daily_News_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(4).jpg "Just a minute, Chief, I only need one more card to make gin."....

"Don't be an IDIOT!" Wow, I think he really is still mad about the luggage." :)

... Daily_News_Sun__Jan_5__1941_(7).jpg
Wah-wahh-wahhhhhhhhhhh........

Caniff.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Daily_News_Mon__Oct_20__1919_.jpg

Harold makes his debut in the Daily News, October 20, 1919. The strip had been running in the Chicago Tribune since February. Lillums has not yet appeared upon the scene, and Mae will not stick around for very long. Her foofy little pup, however, will transfer to Lillums' custody without explanation.

Harold is a young high school kid here, in the town of "Spoonville" -- Covina is a decade in the future -- and his usual gang has not yet appeared, although there's a fat kid around who will eventually evolve into Beezie. Pop Jenks, however, is on the scene-- although for some reason he's called "Dad" for the first decade or so of the strip. Shadow, the lovable little scamp, will not show up until 1931.

The sensibility of the gags, you will note, is highly sophisticated.

EngProf

Practically Family
The real tragedy here is Lana wasting her time on Harold; she could and should be shooting higher.
I agree with Harp and FF about Lana's excellent qualities (looks and brains) and that she should be paying zero attention to the idiot Harold.

Since she is obviously beautiful to us outsiders/readers - glasses or not, there must be more to what's happening in the comics-universe.

Related to that, my theory is that "Lana Lanagan" is a name she made up as part of a secret identity.
Her real name is Lana Kent - and she is a first cousin of Clark Kent - who also has the amazing ability to become unrecognizable when putting on or taking off their glasses.

Glasses on - Clark Kent (mild-mannered reporter)
Glasses off - Superman
Glasses on - Lana Kent (plain-Jane)
Glasses off - Lana Lanagan (beautiful and smart)

Also, this could be a setup for a decade-later appearance of "Lana Lang" in the Superman world.

(I'm particularly impressed with that identity-change ability, since I have worn glasses since I was in the 4th grade, and to the best of my knowledge no one has ever not-recognized me whether my glasses were on or off.)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
blond
I agree with Harp and FF about Lana's excellent qualities (looks and brains) and that she should be paying zero attention to the idiot Harold.

Since she is obviously beautiful to us outsiders/readers - glasses or not, there must be more to what's happening in the comics-universe.

Related to that, my theory is that "Lana Lanagan" is a name she made up as part of a secret identity.

'O serpent heart hid with a flowering face!'
Romeo & Juliet

Glasses neither conceal nor shield beauty; nor impede blindfold Cupid's flight; and, does not Love herself
cast closed eye and open mind? Perchance, what predicate hath thee suspicion of yon enchanting colleen lass?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
President Roosevelt called on Congress today to provide billions of dollars worth of weapons for the embattled democracies, and declared that the threats of dictator nations would not swerve America from its determination to provide this aid. In his state-of-the-Union address this afternoon to the opening of the 77th Congress, the President stated that this goal will be accomplished at a cost of much in personal sacrifice and in additional taxes. "As a nation," the President observed, "we take pride in the fact that we are soft-hearted -- but we cannot afford to be soft-headed," and he warned that "when the dictators are ready to make war upon us, they will not wait for a an act of war on our part. They did not wait for Norway, or Belgium, or the Netherlands to commit an act of war." The President further declared that his Administration will not, even in time of war, overlook the social reforms achieved since 1933, and will continue to work toward a nation built on "four freedoms," which he defined as the freedom of speech and expression, the freedom of worship, freedom from want, and freedom from fear.

(If you missed it, tune in on the speech here:

)

Britain's Army of the Nile, pushing swiftly into Libya beyond captured Bardia, reported today that its vanguards are already approaching Tobruk, Italy's next big seaport base 70 miles to the west. According to a general communique, more than 30,000 Italian troops have been taken prisoner at Bardia after the surrender of Italy's so-called "Suicide Garrison" based there.

German troops are preparing to march into Bulgaria, the result of a Nazi ultimatum said to have been accepted by the Bulgar government. It is presumed that the bulk of the Nazi force will cross the border at Rumania, where German troops have massed in numbers estimated at 500,000 men.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_6__1941_.jpg

Brooklyn pigeon fanciers will soon be required to register their flocks for military conscription, following an order subjecting all of the 40,000 lofts in the country to service in the Army Signal Corps. The announcement came yesterday at the closing session of the Brooklyn Concourse Association of Homing Pigeon Fanciers, in a speech by Major John K. Shawvan, in charge of the Signal Corps Pigeon Service. Major Shawvan also noted that legislation is expected soon to ban the possession of homing pigeons by "enemy agents in this country."

All libraries and bookstores in Paris have been purged of "anti-Nazi" writings by order of the Gestapo. Agents of the Nazi secret police confronted all booksellers, newsstands, and institutional libraries yesterday with a list of 143 banned books, including works by anti-Nazi historians and philosophers, and required that all copies of such books be handed over within 30 minutes. The American Library in Paris is among the institutions served with the order, but it is reported that the Gestapo agreed not to confiscate the books from that library if the librarians agreed to lock them away from all circulation.

The weekly meat ration in Great Britain has been cut to one shilling and twopence worth, or the equivalent of 30 cents' worth, per person -- a quantity amounting to one pound of lamb by weight, or one pound, two ounces of stewing beef. Offal products, including tripe, liver, kidney, and heart, are now classified as meats, and are subject to the ration order. It is also reported that beer rationing is imminent, with pubs and restaurants to be limited to one third of their present deliveries starting in February, but there will be, as yet, no effort to ration the sale of beer over the counter to consumers. It is generally believed, however, that no pub will be able to operate on a seven-days-a-week basis at that level of supply.

The American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers is considering a revolutionary plan for licensing radio music for network broadcast that would bypass the networks entirely -- instead collecting required copyright royalties from program sponsors who desire to feature ASCAP selections on their broadcasts. Under the former blanket contract with NBC and CBS, for example, the "Hit Parade" program, which costs its sponsor $11,500 for 45 minutes of network air time each Saturday night, plus $4000 per week for talent, only netted ASCAP a percentage amounting to $218.50 for the use of the music. Under the new proposal, the music fee would amount to "thousands of dollars per broadcast" charged directly to the sponsor -- forcing the networks to lower their time fees to even out the program expense. ASCAP criticized last Saturday's "Hit Parade" program, filled with Broadcast Music Inc. selections, as "Your Bit Parade," and songwriter Irving Berlin, a founding member of the Society, predicted that listeners will soon be clamoring for quality ASCAP music, arguing that "you cannot reduce the art of songwriting to mass production."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(1).jpg

(Ahhhhh, good to see that spaghetti-by-the-pound is back. I missed it.)

Two radio patrolmen raiding a dice game in Brownsville got more than they expected when they walked in on a mass holdup. Patrolmen Michael King and Edward Weise were cruising in their patrol car when they noted an open gate at the rear of a loft building at 284 Sackman Street. They heard voices from inside the building, and entered to find eighteen crap-shooters lined up at gunpoint, with their faces to the wall, by an armed bandit, while a second bandit rifled their pockets. One of the patrolmen leaped upon the gunman and knocked the revolver from his hand, while the other knocked out his accomplice with a blackjack. Two patrol wagons hauled all twenty men to the Liberty Avenue precinct for questioning, and three were ultimately held on assault and robbery charges, with two charged with violations of the Sullivan Law. The dice players were released with a warning.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(2).jpg

(No flies on the Boys. No flies could live in all the reeking poisonous stench.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(3).jpg

(Joan Bennett is really not amused by this dress. She pulled off the strategically-placed rhinestones.)

"Mail Order Coiffures" are the next big thing, according to Joan Clair, noted authority on Hair Beauty for the Clairol Company. She now offers a service whereby any woman may, for just 25 cents, send her a photograph -- which will be returned with a detailed description of how to achieve a recommended hairstyle. Further information on this new service may be obtained by contacting the Eagle's Women's Page Editor at MAin 4-6200, extension 253. ("Joan Clair" is actually a balding 40-year-old marketing executive from Massapequa.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(4).jpg

(Don't worry, it isn't a real gun -- it's just an old stovepipe. Don't you read the papers?)

Attorney Leo Healy, who has apparently been getting some heat for his role as lead defense attorney in the Christian Front seditious conspiracy case, writes in to plead for an end to "rancor and prejudice" now that all of the charges have been dismissed. "Before I consented to act as counsel," he writes, "I carefully investigated the charges filed against the defendants and was completely satisfied of their innocence."

A Wonderland marked by dollar signs opens its gates to Alice Marble tonight at Madison Square Garden, as the Oomph Girl of Tennis marks her formal entry into the professional ranks of the sport in a match against British pro Mary Hardwick. Stars of the mens' game Don Budge and Bill Tilden are also on the bill, but Miss Marble is expected to be the primary attraction of the evening, with a gate in excess of 10,000 spectators expected.

The Amerks had another bad night at the Garden last night -- but aren't they all -- as Red Dutton's boys were exploded by their arch-rivals, the Rangers, by a score of 6-2. Blueshirt Phil Watson accounted for half the Rangers' scoring, banging the bell three times to score the first hat trick of his career.

The 1940 baseball season was "epochal," according to American League President Will Harridge, who calls his circuit's most recent pennant showdown one for the ages, with its hectic three-way-battle between the Yankees, the Tigers, and the Indians. American League attendance set a new record in 1940, with an eight-club total paid gate of 5,433,791, breaking the old mark of 5,255,439 set in 1924. Mr. Harridge calls particular attention to the success of night ball in his league, with arc-light games in Cleveland, Philadelphia, St. Louis, and Chicago accounting for 634,228 of the total.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(5).jpg

(A special pull-out section proves the old saying that "war is good for business.")

Something new for daytime radio listeners comes to WOR this week, with its new "Three O'Clock Playhouse" offering brawny competition to the usual afternoon fair of serial weepers. The new WOR four-day strip features half-hour daytime episodes of several popular nighttime thrill and adventure programs, presented on sequential days. "Lew Loyal" appears on Mondays, "Mystery Hall" on Tuesdays, "Ned Jordan, Secret Agent" on Wednesdays, " and "Peter Quill" on Thursdays. With the exception of "Mystery Hall," which will present complete-in-one-episode stories, all the participating shows will be serialized.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(6).jpg

("Hah!" hahs our Sally. "All gals name' Sally knowswhatitssallabout!" "You don't need no cosmic rays, assfashuah!" mumbles Joe.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(7).jpg

("Scruples? Why, ah, I had scruples one time, but I rubbed them with witch hazel and they went away.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(8).jpg

(Poor Slim, peering ever so dimly into the valley of self-awareness. Maybe Elsa found out what a louse you were to your poor enabling mother and your son.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(9).jpg

(Dunn dunn DUNNNNNNNN....)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_6__1941_.jpg
Don't know what you're jotting down there, Neville, but I bet it's not going to be very legible with you looking off at the reporter like that. And if the broadcasters are "Whistling In The Dark," why, that's a violation...

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(1).jpg

(I had this exact cabinet. It was made of wood-grain-printed corrugated cardboard on a painted lath framework, and one night after I hung one thing too many inside it, it collapsed in a heap. Where's my $2.98 back?)

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(2).jpg

YES! The "Come In And Win!" cartoons from last year are back! No more talking food!

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(3).jpg
In Mr. Gray's happy little universe, you will never see a judge who isn't in the bag. Sometimes it's gangsters, sometimes it's "doing something for a friend," and sometimes "Daddy" himself is pulling the strings, but you will never, ever see a completely honest judge.

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(4).jpg
Hey Kids! Build Your Own Zip Gun This Easy Way!

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(5).jpg
Aw, c'mon, knob-head! He just wants a little lick!

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(6).jpg
"But--but I'M the HERO of this strip! At least -- when Pat isn't around. Or Dude. Or Raven. Or the Dragon Lady. Or Cap'n Blaze. Or Big Stoop. Or Connie..."

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(7).jpg
"Yeah, well you better get Your End Of The Job off my desk."

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(8).jpg
I suppose they could try burning the house down.

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(9).jpg
Gee, Ma, and to think a year ago you were complaining about Lena Lovewell interfering in Lillums' love life...

Harp

I'll Lock Up
^^^
Enabling is correct. I feel for Mrs Worth but her son needs a kick in the ass yesterday.

Dr Ping ponged Terry a hard right across his slack jawed stupor.

...Two radio patrolmen raiding a dice game in Brownsville got more than they expected when they walked in on a mass holdup. Patrolmen Michael King and Edward Weise were cruising in their patrol car when they noted an open gate at the rear of a loft building at 284 Sackman Street. They heard voices from inside the building, and entered to find eighteen crap-shooters lined up at gunpoint, with their faces to the wall, by an armed bandit, while a second bandit rifled their pockets. One of the patrolmen leaped upon the gunman and knocked the revolver from his hand, while the other knocked out his accomplice with a blackjack. Two patrol wagons hauled all twenty men to the Liberty Avenue precinct for questioning, and three were ultimately held on assault and robbery charges, with two charged with violations of the Sullivan Law. The dice players were released with a warning....

Not quite the most Golden Era Brooklyn story ever, but it's on the list.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(7).jpg
("Scruples? Why, ah, I had scruples one time, but I rubbed them with witch hazel and they went away.")...

"I demand to be decomposed..." Only the second funny line of this entire story arc.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(9).jpg
(Dunn dunn DUNNNNNNNN....)

Talk about a telegram burying the lede: lalalalala is a Fazian.

... Daily_News_Mon__Jan_6__1941_.jpg Don't know what you're jotting down there, Neville, but I bet it's not going to be very legible with you looking off at the reporter like that. And if the broadcasters are "Whistling In The Dark," why, that's a violation.........

Good one Lizzie.

The auto crash story, while sad, is an odd one for Page Four. As talked about before, it really seems as if this page is edited by different people on different days.

... Daily_News_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(1).jpg
(I had this exact cabinet. It was made of wood-grain-printed corrugated cardboard on a painted lath framework, and one night after I hung one thing too many inside it, it collapsed in a heap. Where's my $2.98 back?)....

If you have to pay Bloomingdales a "small service charge" when buying on time, then you have not been "guaranteed the same low cash price." A great example of dissembling and transparency all in one sentence.

... Daily_News_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(2).jpg
YES! The "Come In And Win!" cartoons from last year are back! No more talking food!....

Much better than the talking pie. That said, it's an odd time of year to promote strawberry shortcake even with those "luscious fresh Florida Strawberries."

... Daily_News_Mon__Jan_6__1941_(6).jpg "But--but I'M the HERO of this strip! At least -- when Pat isn't around. Or Dude. Or Raven. Or the Dragon Lady. Or Cap'n Blaze. Or Big Stoop. Or Connie..."...

And Terry learns a lesson about striking while the iron's hot.

Last edited:

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
I adore Invisible Scarlet O'Neil!!! Every time I go to the Comic Book Expo I ask about her comic and none of the comic book collectors I spoke to has ever hear of her. And to me I find this very weird since Invisible Scarlet O'Neil was one of the popular comics of the 1940s.

I found out about Scarlet O'Neil thanks to the website Gold Star Dot Com ( discount ticket website) an all female theater group in Chicago was doing the play, it was so much fun to watch and it reminded me of Marvel's Agent Peggy Carter.
Here is the official Invisible Scarlet O'Neil website http://invisiblescarletoneil.com/archive.asp

Here is the AD for the play I saw: https://www.timeout.com/chicago/theater/the-invisible-scarlet-oneil

Here is what Wikipedia says about Invisible Scarlet O'Neil https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_Scarlet_O'Neil

I am so happy Invisible Scarlet O'Neil is finally going to make her appearance!!!

1 (2).png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW