Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Meanwhile, here's an interesting bonus -- a bit of insight into how syndicates sold comic strips. Behold our boy Harold, taking the first steps into distribution beyond the Tribune and the Daily News, in 1920 --

teen.png

Note the emphasis on CLEAN -- there was a feeling among some small-town readers, especially, that some of the comic strips of the day went in a bit too heavily for either smutty gags, "barnyard" humor, or both. Of course, this is twenty years before Senga showed up, but still...

Also note the characters featured -- the idea of Harold having a worldly pal who guided him along the adolescent path faded out by the mid-twenties. Other than Shadow, who isn't as worldly as he thinks he is, that role would never be replaced. And note that Lillums has two little brothers. By 1925 or so, she only has one -- and the fate of "Cyclone" is never examined or discussed in any way thereafter. Dick Tracy needs to look into this.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
British mechanized forces, supported by fleets of RAF bombers and fighters, struck hard today at the Italian defenders of Tobruk, Libya's vital naval base 60 miles west of Bardia, and threatened to surropund in preparatory to a siege and assault. The RAF reported officially that the Italians have evacuated El Ademn, air base for Tobruk, only 15 miles south of the city, and military quarters believed that British mechanized forces had occupied the airdrome.

Bulgaria, hemmed between a big German army across the Danube in Rumania, and reportedly growing Turkish concentrations across her southern frontier, was reported today to have massed almost all her troops to the south, facing Turkey. Across that southern border, in Thrace, 400,000 Turkish troops were reported to be "ready for any eventuality."

The Roosevelt Administration moved quickly today to fulfill the President's pledge of "ever-increasing aid" for the democracies by releasing to Greece an undetermined number of warplanes now in production for the American army. Less than 100 planes are believed to be involved, and it is said that the Greeks will pay cash for them. The exact type of plane to be sold to Greece has not been disclosed, but it is believed that they are "fighting craft of ultra-modern design."

Barring a last minute settlement, Local 861 of the United Automobile Workers of America, CIO will stage a walkout at 7:45 pm on Thursday at the Ranger Engineering Division of the Fairchild Engine and Airplane Corporation in East Farmingdale. The strike was voted yesterday by a 212-0 ballot at a meeting in the Pinelawn Hotel culminating twelve weeks of unsuccessful negotiation between officials of the union and the firm, which is handling millions of dollars worth of defense contracts for aircraft motors and parts. In the midst of the negotiations it was charged by union members that the company had induced Suffolk County highway officials to block access to a quarter mile stretch of roadway adjoining the plant in order to hamper union organizational efforts. Company officials insist the closure is intended to "protect the plant against sabotage."

An injunction prohibiting the leader of the Royal Fraternity of Master Metaphysicians from selling any further memberships in the Long Island cult was handed down today against Dr. James B. Schafer in Manhattan Supreme Court. The injunction was sought by Attorney General John J. Bennett as part of his ongoing investigation into the cult's activities in the wake of its sudden surrender of the so-called "Immortal Baby," two-year-old Jean Gaultt to the custody of her mother. The complaint filed by Mr. Bennett stated that the sect sold membership certificates valued at $131,453.51 between January and December of 1940 in violation of state business laws.

An old portrait owned for years by a Brooklyn family has been discovered to be the work of the Dutch master painter Rembrandt. The painting, identified by the director of the Brooklyn Contemporary Arts Gallery as a long-lost work known as "The Banner Carrier of Amsterdam," was obscured under seven coats of old varnish when it was purchased in an obscure Italian shop more than fifty years ago by the father of Mrs. George Pries of 2233 Vanderbilt Avenue. Mrs. Preis brought the painting to the gallery for cleaning, and upon removing the varnish, director Henry L. Maloney realized what it was. Mr. and Mrs. Preis have placed a value of $750,000 on the painting, though no known Rembrandt has sold for more than $250,000.

The president of Brooklyn College has declared Nazism a greater threat to humanity than Communism, and has warned against the "perversion of patriotism" to serve Nazi purposes in America. Dr. Harry Gideonse, in a broadcast over municipal radio station WNYC, stated, in reference to the Rapp-Coudert Committee investigations of Communist influence in the public education system, that "it is unimportant to fight Communism by investigtion" when, by doing so, one stands the risk of pushing students toward a "reactionary form of chauvinistic patriotism" in line with that promoted in Germany.

Meanwhile, Supreme Court Justice Louis Valente in Manhattan today took under advisement a motion by the Corporation Counsel's office to dismiss a previous motion for a declaratory motion that the Rapp-Coudert Committee has no legal authority to conduct private interrogations of students without benefit of counsel. Twenty-five Brooklyn College students have been cited for contempt of the committee for refusing to obey subpoenas demanding they appear before such interrogations.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_7__1941_.jpg

("Special modest panties." With "APPROVED BY MPPDA CERTIFICIATE NO. 6667" embroidered where it counts.)

Bars and restaurants along Sands Street in the Navy Yard district will be targeted by a 1 AM curfew imposed by Rear Admiral Clark Woodward, Navy Yard commandant, in an effort to reduce the number of sailors being "victimized" by unscrupulous drinking establishments. Captain Harold McKittrick says women will be sent to the taverns prior to the hour of curfew to offer the "white glove of cooperation" before police, Federal agents, and shore patrol authorities move in to clear Navy men out the establishments. Tavern operators are unhappy with the curfew, but most have adopted a "what can you do?" attitude in the face of military enforcement.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(1).jpg

("Hah!" says Sally. "T'Ideal Bowlin' Alleys. Oughta be a law 'gainst t'rowin' adjectives aroun' like'at. Yagoinnat place, t'shoes stick t'ya feet, anna shoes stick t't' floah!" "Yeah," says Joe. "I stuck my finga innaball t'ere oncet, an' t'ere'uz sumpin' MOVIN' inneah!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(2).jpg

(MEN WORKING)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(3).jpg

(The "Little Flower Closet Ensemble?" Since when does LaGuardia do endorsements? Other than FDR, I mean.)

Dodger President Larry MacPhail and Brooklyn College President Dr. Harry Gideonse will co-chair the Brooklyn division of the New York Chapter of the Committee to Defend America by Aiding The Allies. Mr. MacPhail will serve as the active chairman of the organization, with Dr. Gideonse serving as honorary "chairman by acclamation." The organization will operate temporarily from the chapter's Manhattan office until a Brooklyn headquarters can be established.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(4).jpg

Mr. Charles Dillon Stengel, that's Casey to you, has dipped his well-traveled toe in the waters of big-league ownership with the announcement that he has purchased a block of stock in the Boston National League Baseball Club. Stengel, former Dodgers outfielder and manager, has managed the Bees thru ups and downs -- mostly downs -- since 1938, and is said to have put up $50,000 of his ample personal bankroll to buy into the franchise. Another former Dodger, outfielder Johnny Cooney, has also bought into the club, to the tune of $15,000. It ihas been reported in several quarters that the Bees are up for sale, and neither Stengel nor Cooney would have controlling interests in any future sale of the club, but in Stengel's case, at least, the stock purchase might be considered a measure of job security. Various other sportsmen are said to be interested in Bees stock, and team president Bob Quinn has stated that he expects that the finances of the troubled team will be put into order in time for the coming season. The Boston club has operated in a state of corporate disarray since former owner Judge Emil Fuchs went bankrupt following the 1935 season and the club was taken over by the National League. Much of the present stock has been owned in recent years by chain-store magnate Charles Adams, who is considered socially unacceptable in baseball circles by Commissioner K. M. Landis due to his involvement with Massachusetts racetracks.

"Alice's forehand is still vulnerable," says Mary Hardwick, but it didn't do her much good last night at the Garden, as Alice Marble sent her British rival down to an 8-6, 8-6 defeat in her professional tennis debut. A crowd of 12,371 paid $25,614.50 to witness the festivities. Miss Marble also teamed with Bill Tilden to defeat Miss Hardwick and Don Budge in a well-played match that ran well past midnight. The tour moves on next to Chicago.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(9).jpg

(Yes, do. Producer Himan Brown will ride the success of his SQUEEEEEEAKING DOOOOOOOR for the rest of his very long and very eventful radio life. Hear the debut of this long-running camp-horror hit here --
)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(5).jpg
("Besides," says Slappy, "she's wearing one of my old dresses. Lucky kid.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(6).jpg

("If I put my mind to it, I can believe nearly anything," he said, thus laying the groundwork for the Internet.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(7).jpg

(Go on, Mary. Tell her. Tell her how Slim abandoned you and Dennie -when he couldn't even walk -- to live in poverty on the streets. Get out your old apple cart, show her how you had to earn a living. Good old Slim!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(8).jpg

(Dan Dunn Will Be Dead! Dan Dead Will Be Dunn! Dunn Dead Will be Dan! SAY IT THREE TIMES FAST!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News....

Daily_News_Tue__Jan_7__1941_.jpg

It's not the peaches that did the damage, it was the heavy syrup.

Daily_News_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(1).jpg

"Look, Sid, we couldn't get Dinah Shore. Turned us down flat. Said she eats at Schrafft's or nothin'. But we got this gal here, see, an' if ya squint a bit, she kinda LOOKS like Dinah Shore -- ya think anybody'll notice?" "Nah. Now lemme 'lone, I'm readin' 'Dan Dunn.'"

Daily_News_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(2).jpg

I'd pay to see that.

Daily_News_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(3).jpg

Peg, listen -- do you REALLY want to keep this kid? .

Daily_News_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(4).jpg

SOMEDEENG LIKE DAT HAPPENS TO YOU ONE TIME, YAH KEED? DAT WHY YOUR FACE DAT WAY, EHH RIGHT?

Daily_News_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(5).jpg

Look at the bright side, Terry, there's always April. Oh wait.

Daily_News_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(6).jpg

I think I've figured out what the deal is with our buddy Krome here -- he never got any of the stuff he wanted for Christmas

Daily_News_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(7).jpg

Looks like old Wumps got up on the wrong side of 1941. Probably Mrs. W. found those snapshots he took at the beach last summer with Godiva.

Daily_News_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(8).jpg

There's such a thing as pushing too hard, mother, and you're standing on the far side of the street from it.

Daily_News_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(9).jpg

It's easy -- when you know how!

...An old portrait owned for years by a Brooklyn family has been discovered to be the work of the Dutch master painter Rembrandt. The painting, identified by the director of the Brooklyn Contemporary Arts Gallery as a long-lost work known as "The Banner Carrier of Amsterdam," was obscured under seven coats of old varnish when it was purchased in an obscure Italian shop more than fifty years ago by the father of Mrs. George Pries of 2233 Vanderbilt Avenue. Mrs. Preis brought the painting to the gallery for cleaning, and upon removing the varnish, director Henry L. Maloney realized what it was. Mr. and Mrs. Preis have placed a value of $750,000 on the painting, though no known Rembrandt has sold for more than $250,000....

You have to love these stories.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(6).jpg
("If I put my mind to it, I can believe nearly anything," he said, thus laying the groundwork for the Internet.)...

Darn it Lizzie, I was going to point out the exact same line, it's just so good. My thought was it's the creed of many ambulance-chasing lawyers (not all lawyers), but there's truth in what you said too.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(7).jpg
(Go on, Mary. Tell her. Tell her how Slim abandoned you and Dennie -when he couldn't even walk -- to live in poverty on the streets. Get out your old apple cart, show her how you had to earn a living. Good old Slim!)...

Elsa shouldn't even consider marrying either of them, but if faced with a binary choice, my guess is she'd be better off with Slim. There's a chance that Slim's a better person today than he once was, but Larry seems like really bad news.

... Daily_News_Tue__Jan_7__1941_.jpg
It's not the peaches that did the damage, it was the heavy syrup....

That could easily have been a "Dick Tracy" story.

... Daily_News_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(2).jpg
I'd pay to see that....

It all comes down to whether or not enough people will hand over their quarters (or so) for a ticket to see you as that's what, in the end, determines what Shirley gets paid. We, the ticket-buying public, effectively, determine and pay Shirley's salary. Think about that, James, the next time you go to the movie theater.

... Daily_News_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(3).jpg
Peg, listen -- do you REALLY want to keep this kid? ...

Seriously.

... View attachment 298656
Look at the bright side, Terry, there's always April. Oh wait....

Daily_News_Tue__Jan_7__1941_(5).jpg

Good on the Chinese army if under this massive assault it is organized enough to have a salvage crew show up at every downed aircraft.

Also, even though they're all on the same team, the Blue Tiger doesn't seem to be keeping his identity much of a secret anymore.

Terry, Terry, Terry, he who hesitates and all.

Bucky Wing ding, quarterback sneak play. This guy's got it down first and goal.

He just very politely gave Terry a giant Heisman.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
^^^Yeah. Good ol stiff arm. The late Johnny Lattner, Notre Dame Heisman winner once told me
he leased the trophy out to various southside Chicago bars-I saw it at Reilly's Daughter, but he didn't
know its present location. Wild wonderful tale, great guy.

I'm thinking Bucky played at Illinois. That all cuddle no huddle offense, then the sneak.
Illini fingerprints all over that stuff, um hum.:cool:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I fear that the good Dr. Ping may be about go out in a dramatic blaze of glory, and he knows it's coming. Just another thing to ruin poor Terry's day.

I look forward to Bucky meeting up with the DL. Let's see how long Hu Shee lasts then.

I'm not buying Elsa's attitude here. What has Slim done to give her any reason to think of him as anything more than just another patient? The whole "took a bullet to save John" bit was impressive in a flashy kind of way, but what reason does she have to think it was anything more than an impulse? Unless he's got this really fierce tattoo from his days in the Navy, and she's impressed by that kind of stuff.

I'm going to keep a can of peaches under the counter at the theatre, and if anyone comes in to rob us, I'm going to use it as a deterrent.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Terry's a cherry. Bucky's in like Flynn. Whose DL?
Who is Hecuba, and what is Hecuba to Hu Shee, lovely pearl, lotus petal,
& exquisite rose of both Occident and Orient?
And Lucky Buck is part Irish with all the blarney hash he slings. :cool:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The DL = Lai Choi San, aka "The Dragon Lady." Formerly the leader of a pirate band who often clashed with Terry and his mentor Pat Ryan. Now a leader in the United Front resistance fighting the Invader. Hu Shee is one of her agents, and resembles her closely enough to have taken her place in prison. It was during an expedition to break her out of prison that Hu Shee and Terry got separated from the rest of their group. She is without mercy to her enemies, and many men have been forced to call her "Master."

As a Fedora Lounge member, part of me likes the pull to history of this, but part of me also thinks it's kinda crazy. Historical uniforms I get, using hundred year old guns and gun technology, not so much.
6 (2).png

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Gale Storm" there won her career --- and her very name, in fact -- on what we would call today a "reality show." It was called "Gateway To Hollywood," and it ran on CBS in 1939 under the sponsorship of the Wrigley's gum people. The idea was that a group of talented nobodies would compete in various aspects of show-biz performance to earn a bona-fide contract with RKO, a contract that came complete with a pre-made new persona to go along with it. Miss Josephine Cottle of Bloomington, Texas thus won the name and contract of "Gale Storm," and a guy named Lee Bonnell, from South Bend, Ind., who was paired with Miss Cottle in the competition, won the name and contract of "Terry Belmont."

They did indeed get married, but that wasn't part of the program.

Jack has a pretty snazzy radio there -- and Mr. Mosley has clearly drawn it from real life:

philco37-610a_3_-600x379.jpg

As for poor Joy, she must have paid close attention in ballet class to be able to run en pointe like that.

"Gale Storm" there won her career --- and her very name, in fact -- on what we would call today a "reality show." It was called "Gateway To Hollywood," and it ran on CBS in 1939 under the sponsorship of the Wrigley's gum people. The idea was that a group of talented nobodies would compete in various aspects of show-biz performance to earn a bona-fide contract with RKO, a contract that came complete with a pre-made new persona to go along with it. Miss Josephine Cottle of Bloomington, Texas thus won the name and contract of "Gale Storm," and a guy named Lee Bonnell, from South Bend, Ind., who was paired with Miss Cottle in the competition, won the name and contract of "Terry Belmont."

They did indeed get married, but that wasn't part of the program.

Jack has a pretty snazzy radio there -- and Mr. Mosley has clearly drawn it from real life:

View attachment 299039

As for poor Joy, she must have paid close attention in ballet class to be able to run en pointe like that.

I just looked Gale and Lee up on IMDB (she's under Gale Storm on IMDB, but he's under Lee Bonnell), they were married for forty-five years until he passed away in '86. Also, while they both had careers in Hollywood, his seemed to end after ten years, but hers went on being pretty active, including TV, into the '60s, with a few sporadic appearance into the '80s.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
As a Fedora Lounge member, part of me likes the pull to history of this, but part of me also thinks it's kinda crazy. Historical uniforms I get, using hundred year old guns and gun technology, not so much.

The Palatine Guard has since disbanded. Of historical note, John Surrat, co-JWB Lincoln assassination
conspirator, escaped to Italy and enlisted Vatican Swiss Guard. Found, repatriated United States for trial,
still wearing the Guard striped uniform.
_____

Elsa needs to ditch Ace Slimeball and see a psychiatrist about her lousy male preference.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Police fear a revival of bloody warfare on the Brooklyn waterfront after a dockworker was gunned down this morning in Red Hook. The bullet-riddled body of 49-year-old Victor Adjulino of 94 Baxter Street in Manhattan was found at the corner of Conover and Beard Streets shortly before 7 AM. Adjulino was identified by a Social Security card, found in his coat pocket along with two paper-wrapped sandwiches, evidently a workman's lunch. He had been shot twice thru the chest and once in the stomach. Investigation on the docks revealed that Adjulino had been hired four days ago by the Oceanic Ship Scaling Company of 32 Walcott Street, where a manager stated that he had been assigned to scale rust off the side of a ship moored at Pier 45, where the company had taken on a contract for the Atlantic Basin Iron Works. The dead man was described as a "quiet, conscientious worker," and police confirmed that he had no criminal record. The body was found by a Federal immigration officer on his way to work, who told police he also saw what appeared to be a revolver near the body, but no gun has been found, and police are combing the neighborhood in an effort to find it.

A more drastic purge of Communists is mapped out today in Albany, as the State Legislature convenes for its 164th Regular Session. Democratic Senate Minority Leader John J. Dunnigan has stated that he will sponsor bills which would if enacted all but ban the Communist Party in the state of New York, by making it illegal for any Communist to hold any form of public employment or position and by barring all Communists from any ballot in the state. Governor Herbert H. Lehman is scheduled to address legislators as they convene today at the state capital, with remarks expected to focus on the role of National Defense in the state.

British forces are now west of Tobruk, the next objective in their lightning offensive in Libya, and are working to cut off the fortress in that town, just as they did 60 miles to the east in Bardia. The Associated Press reports that Tobruk has already been cut off, with the exception of a few small Italian patrols.

President Roosevelt was assailed today in the Nazi press as "War Prolonger and War Profiteer Number One," in the wake of his call for increased aid to Great Britain during his speech to a joint session of Congress this week. The German newspapers contended in editorials today that "no matter how much war material the United States sends to Great Britain, it can make no difference in the outcome of the war."

Discovery of a bottle labeled "nitroglycerine" following a fire in the Polish Pavillion at the World's Fair this morning caused some excitement among police, until it was learned that the bottle had been part of an exhibit in the pavillion, and had not ever likely contained the explosive substance. The bottle was found inside a black leather suitcase in the pavillion after the fire was extinguished. Police say a watchman patrolling the pavilion had started a fire in an bucket to keep himself warm, but it set fire to the floor.

The cries of a parrot and the barking of a chow dog alerted a Flatbush man to a fire early this morning. Richard Sprey, a government employee who lives in a top-floor apartment at 992 Flatbush Avenue, was awakened by his pets about 5AM, and upon investigation discovered a fire on the ground floor of the building next door. The Woodley Mens' Shop, a haberdashery, at 994 Flatbush Ave., sustained serious damage in the fire, along with two vacant apartments above the shop. Mr. Sprey, his parrot, his dog, and his six canaries, were returned to their apartment after the fire was out. Traffic along Flatbush Avenue was delayed for about half an hour by firefighting efforts.

In the occupied Netherlands, all Jews have been banned from attending motion picture theatres after Nazi occupation forces cracked down on "anti-German demonstrations" during the screening of newsreels.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_8__1941_.jpg

(The "Solovox" is, essentially, an electronic synthesizer -- the first such instrument to be widely available to the consumer public. The Hammond people have a lot to answer for.)

The first step in the conversion of the World's Fair grounds to Flushing Meadow Park will open to the public on Sunday, when ice and roller-skating rinks open in the New York City Building. That structure, one of the few on the grounds which will survive the demolition of the rest of the Fair, will also include a low-priced cafeteria and a shop at which skates and skating supplies may be purchased. Dedication ceremonies for the rinks will take place at 3:30 PM, with Parks Commissioner Robert Moses presiding, and speeches expected from Mayor LaGuardia, City Council President Newbold Morris, and Queens Borough President George Harvey. (The dignitaries are not expected to take to the ice during the ceremonies.)

The disappearance of the Fair itself, meanwhile, is proceeding rapidly. Familiar structures already demolished include the National Cash Register, Lucky Strike, Wonder Bread, Crosley, and American Radiator Buildings, the Swedish Pavillion, and the Swedish Restaurant. Partially demolished are the Goodrich, Firestone, and Westinghouse pavilions, and the famous General Motors Futurama. Three-fourths of the Amusement Zone has been razed.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_8__1941_(1).jpg

(Something For Everyone.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_8__1941_(2).jpg

(So that's what became of Dan Healy, ingratiating hoofer once known as "the Night Mayor of Broadway" back before the twenties roared to a halt. I wouldn't mind going over there just to see him clumping around in a straw hat and overalls.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_8__1941_(3).jpg

(Add matzo balls and get Fusion Cuisine, 1941 style.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_8__1941_(4).jpg

(That car in the background is awful close to the tracks. Setup for a gag tomorrow?)

The founder of the worldwide Scouting movement died today at his home near Nairobi, Kenya. Lt. General Lord Baden-Powell was 83, and had been ill for several weeks. Lord Baden-Powell founded the Boy Scouts in 1908 and Girl Guides in 1910, and saw them grow to become the world's leading youth organizations. Reported to be a descendant of Pochahontas, Lord Baden-Powell spent a lengthy career in the British Army, and after his retirement served as a British spy in Africa concomitant with his work in the Scouting movement. He held the rank of "International Chief Scout" and was regarded as such by Scouts worldwide.

After reporting to camp on February 15th, the Dodgers will open their spring exhibition season on February 28th, hosting the Giants at their new training headquarters in Havana, leading into their busiest Spring Training schedule ever. A total of fifty games are on the docket, with the February 28th contest believed to be the first pre-season game ever scheduled before the month of March. The Dodgers will be in Havana until March 15th, and will then shift to their former Florida camp in Clearwater for the rest of the month. After breaking camp, the team will split into two units, with the first-string section flying to Port Arthur, Texas for a lengthy barnstorming tour eastward, until they rendezvous with the B-team in Atlanta, to begin barnstorming northward with the Yankees. Spring Training will conclude with the traditional pre-season series against the Yankees at Ebbets Field on April 11th, 12th, and 13th.

Radio's Quiz Kids broadcast for the first time from New York tonight, airing at 8pm from WJZ. Usually based in Chicago, the brilliant moppets are in the city to begin production of a series of motion picture shorts similar to the popular "Information Please" reels.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_8__1941_(5).jpg
("Or maybe I'll marry the mermaid queen of this undersea kingdom I've just discovered. No, wait, that's just a dead carp.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_8__1941_(6).jpg
("Grab & Hold." Do you get the idea Mr. Tuthill isn't keen on lawyers?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_8__1941_(7).jpg
(If Slim is the finest man you've ever known, you need to get around more.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_8__1941_(8).jpg

(Don't laugh, do you know how hard it must be to hold a pose like that without a neck?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy