Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I expect that Burma and Terry will have to break for it, and will hopefully be able to rendezvous with Pat, Dude, Connie, the Dragon Lady, and Raven -- who will, it is to be anticipated, utterly loathe her on sight. Except for Pat of course, he'll start right in taking his shirt off.

I expect that Burma and Terry will have to break for it, and will hopefully be able to rendezvous with Pat, Dude, Connie, the Dragon Lady, and Raven -- who will, it is to be anticipated, utterly loathe her on sight. Except for Pat of course, he'll start right in taking his shirt off.

And Hu Shee, what about the brave, beautiful, loyal and smart Hu Shee?

Won't Terry rescue her on his way out? "Um, Uh, well, you see Burma, it's like this, there's this girl...what?...I don't know, I guess you'd say she's pretty, but anyway, she saved my life and we have to save her before we leave...please."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We've seen no trace of her or Bucky since Terry was captured. One would hope they're waiting impatiently in a nearby clearing in a stolen plane, with a long row of dead Invader guards pointing in their direction, but I fear that escape will be a bit more complicated...

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Always a high kill ratio against enemy air cover. A piss poor piece of prior planning failed to account
all enemy assets. Lucky Buck should be chastened. Hu Shee, caught in betwixt Terry n' Jerry may opt
out entirely, join a convent or free lance romance; perhaps do a Deanna Durbin and quit the comic strip
biz altogether.

Always a high kill ratio against enemy air cover. A piss poor piece of prior planning failed to account
all enemy assets. Lucky Buck should be chastened. Hu Shee, caught in betwixt Terry n' Jerry may opt
out entirely, join a convent or free lance romance; perhaps do a Deanna Durbin and quit the comic strip
biz altogether.

"...perhaps do a Deanna Durbin and quit the comic strip
biz altogether."

LOL

Harp

I'll Lock Up
"...perhaps do a Deanna Durbin and quit the comic strip
biz altogether."

LOL

Hu Shee I believe is tired of being typecast. She wants to spread out a bit, show her acting chops.
Maybe do some directing/comic cartoonist. Just an impression that she is tired of being only a
supporting character toon. Its the Jessica Rabbit syndrome, I think.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Nazi staff officers dressed in civilian clothes, their gleaming jackboots the only visible clue to their identities, began establishing themselves in the capital of Bulgaria today, as jeering crowds of students protested "the German occupation of their homeland." There were as of last night no reports of actual movements by columns of German troops across the Bulgarian border with Rumania, but newly-posted highway signs bearing German inscriptions are now displayed on all highways leading from that border into the Bulgarian interior.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_23__1941_.jpg

(Yeah, Butch, c'mon. What's the holdup?)

Mayor LaGuardia last night made preparations to call the City Council into special session on Tuesday, acting under Home Rule provisions to expedite passage of the Fulton Street bus bill. The State Assembly requires that vote from the Council before it may take final action to pass the bill, a bi-partisan compromise plan that would clear the way, at long last, for the demolition of the Fulton Street L. The bill is ready to be reported out of the State Assembly's Public Service Committee for a vote before the full legislature, but it cannot be so voted until it first receives formal endorsement from the Council.

Three Senate opponents yesterday hammered relentlessly at President Roosevelt's Lease-Lend bill for aid to Great Britain, with Senators Robert A. Taft (R-Ohio) and Patrick McCarran (D-Nevada) joining Senator Arthur Kapper (R-Kansas) in condemning the measure. Senator Taft predicted that if the bill passes, the United States will be forced into the European War within six months, while Senator McCarran predicted the same result within a mere sixty days.

A 33-year-old Long Island businessman is hospitalized from injuries he sustained yesterday after leaping out a closed third-floor window at the Bay Shore home of a woman who is not his wife. William J. Croft, Jr., vice president of the Magnus Metal Company, hurled himself thru the bedroom window of an apartment occupied by 27-year-old Miss Mildred Jones at 14 Maple Avenue, just as his wife, Mrs. Beverley Croft, her mother Mrs. Lillian Brenner, and a private detective entered the apartment. Mr. Croft, cut and slashed by broken glass, survived the plunge only because he landed in a lilac bush, but he suffered a brain concussion, a sprained back, and bruises to the chest.

(Yeah, and that ain't all he's gonna suffer.)

Gargantua the Ape and his bride Toto did not consummate their marriage yesterday, following their wedding at their winter home in Sarasota, Florida. A spokesman for the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus declined to elaborate, other than to speculate that Gargantua might have been "intimidated by his new bride." The two gorillas have retreated to separate quarters, with a heavy steel panel blocking their view of each other.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(1).jpg
(The world's biggest small town.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(2).jpg
("Walt Whitman and the liberals loved it. So do the sailors." Well, except the sailors over on Sands Street.)

Mickey Owen has yet to don Dodger flannels, and there's a pretty good chance now that the stubborn holdout catcher acquired over the winter from the Cardinals never will. Larry MacPhail is said to be so fed up with Mr. Owen's intractability on the matter of salary that he is now dickering with Bill Terry about a possible trade for the Giants' own holdout backstop Harry Danning. The Red Headed One is reportedly in Miami today for a closed-door meeting with Memphis Bill, and if a deal is swung, MacPhail is convinced he will have an easier time getting Harry The Horse to come to terms than the complete lack of success he has had thus for with Owen. If such a trade materializes, it will likely not be a one-for-one swap, with the Giants expected to ask for a few additional players, cash, or both. Owen is believed to be asking for $13,000 to play in Brooklyn in 1941, and MacPhail has made it clear that such a sum is out of the question, given that Mickey's name is not "Durocher," "Camilli," or "Medwick."

Before enplaning for Miami, Mr. MacPhail shared his views on the potential impact of the draft on baseball in the year ahead, declaring that he believes it to be "unfair" for Selective Service to take players on active Major League rosters once the season begins. MacPhail argues that taking players in mid-season, as is widely expected to happen this summer, effectively does those players out of two seasons of playing time, and is therefore unfair both to them and to their clubs. Although the Dodgers have lost no men off the Major League roster, it is widely anticipated that Cookie Lavagetto will be the first to go when the time comes. MacPhail noted that at least half-a-dozen key minor leaguers in the Dodger farm system have already been taken by the draft.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(3).jpg
(Yeah, but what about catchers?)

Pitcher Tex Carleton threw some fine games for the Dodgers last year, including a no-hitter, but he's well aware that he's living on borrowed time. Tex turns 35 this year, and the aches and pains that have greeted him as he warms up under the sunny Havana sun have caused him to abandon any inner pretense at being 22. The Dodgers picked Tex up off the minor league scrap heap last year, and he rewarded them with a 6-6 record which included several effective starts. But Tex doesn't seem to figure much in Durocher's pitching plans for 1941, and his name hasn't come up often in discussions of who will fill the fifth spot in the rotation for this year. "I won't be surprised when the end comes," he says, but he does hope for one more good season to go out on.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(4).jpg
(If Madeline Carroll says he's good looking, who am I to argue?)

Old Timer Frank B. Stout lives in Santa Barbara, California now -- but his memories of Bay Ridge in the legendary Blizzard of '88 remain vivid. He was working in Manhattan as a 16-year-old office boy, and set out for work as usual -- only to get bogged down in a snowdrift near 65th Street, and he never made it over. He didn't get back to his job until a week later, but found plenty to do helping to dig out the family home.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(5).jpg
(Whatever the legalities are in this situation, Mr. Foot clearly is in the moral right. So there.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(6).jpg
("Spangler Arlington Brugh?" Well, that explains a lot.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(7).jpg
(It's a pity senior-division boxing never caught on. It'd be a big hit on basic cable. And maybe it isn't the end of Dan Dunn, but I bet it's the end of his eligibility to rent cars.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(8).jpg
(Well at least he isn't jumping out of Sybil Dardanella's third-story window. At least not recently.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(9).jpg
("Wastrels! You can't swallow goldfish like the normal boys?")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(1).jpg
Ew.

Daily_News_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(2).jpg

(Mr. Hill loafs around the house all day in a pair of shapeless old tweed pants, a yellowed collarless shirt, and a grimy grey sweater perforated by cigarette burns. And he hates to go shopping.)

Daily_News_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(3).jpg
Next week: Tracy is sued for violation of jurisdiction, inappropriate use of deadly force, and insulting a radio operator.

Daily_News_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(4).jpg
....ummm.....*whisper* this isn't how defense contracts work........

Daily_News_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(5).jpg
I dunno, technically Mamie's only a Mullins by marriage....

Daily_News_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(6).jpg
Pardon their French.

Daily_News_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(7).jpg
"A brick schoolhouse?" Come now, Jack, you can speak plainer than that.

Daily_News_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(8).jpg
Well now! This is an occasion of note -- Harold's first appearance in his own Sunday page in nearly a year. Poor sap, seeking refuge in carbonated drinks as his entire world fizzes out of control...

Daily_News_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(9).jpg
"I always charge a fee!" Doc fears the AMA more than anything.

Daily_News_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(10).jpg
You know, if Uncle Bim was Daddy Warbucks, Chester would have a legion of bodyguards, protectors, and secret agents helping him out on this thing. Poor Chester doesn't even have a dog.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_23__1941_.jpg
(Yeah, Butch, c'mon. What's the holdup?)

Mayor LaGuardia last night made preparations to call the City Council into special session on Tuesday, acting under Home Rule provisions to expedite passage of the Fulton Street bus bill. The State Assembly requires that vote from the Council before it may take final action to pass the bill, a bi-partisan compromise plan that would clear the way, at long last, for the demolition of the Fulton Street L. The bill is ready to be reported out of the State Assembly's Public Service Committee for a vote before the full legislature, but it cannot be so voted until it first receives formal endorsement from the Council....

Maybe at one point I knew, but I don't remember when the El actually came down and, as much as I want to Google it, I'm resisting as I want to live out this story in real '41 time.

...Gargantua the Ape and his bride Toto did not consummate their marriage yesterday, following their wedding at their winter home in Sarasota, Florida. A spokesman for the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus declined to elaborate, other than to speculate that Gargantua might have been "intimidated by his new bride." The two gorillas have retreated to separate quarters, with a heavy steel panel blocking their view of each other....

If Gargantua doesn't get busy, we know how this story will end as we've seen it before on Page Four - Mrs. Gargantua will sue for divorce on grounds that Gargantua is more interested in whittling.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(4).jpg (If Madeline Carroll says he's good looking, who am I to argue?)..

Madeline appreciates your vote of confidence, Lizzie, but clearly she is not happy with the Eagle's story as captured by the hidden camera of her reading it (the shoe kick is the best):
tumblr_23c8a744a59b5da0c45889807e5ed628_135c9239_250.gif

...[ The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(6).jpg ("Spangler Arlington Brugh?" Well, that explains a lot.)...

The former Brigitta Hartwig didn't think hard enough about her decision.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(9).jpg ("Wastrels! You can't swallow goldfish like the normal boys?")

"That two-toned red Bullet 8." You gotta love a woman who knows her cars.

...[ Daily_News_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(3)-2.jpg Next week: Tracy is sued for violation of jurisdiction, inappropriate use of deadly force, and insulting a radio operator....

Maybe Tracy is just that smart that he guessed about the money in the inner tubes, but it's a stretch.

Separately, yesterday, in a private conversation between just the doc and the local officer, the officer seemed to have taken his first bribe, but today, it appears he's been being bribed all along.

... Daily_News_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(4).jpg ....ummm.....*whisper* this isn't how defense contracts work..........

Not even close. This preaching is too much. I'd rather do business with Nick. I'd trust a man or woman who wants to make an honest profit more than someone trying to rip you off or someone telling you how they are working for free.

... Daily_News_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(6).jpg Pardon their French.....

If Terry leaves without trying to rescue Hu Shee, I'll never speak to him again.

Caniff can really draw women of intrigue well: Burma in the full-length mink with a hood in panel eight is awesome.

... Daily_News_Sun__Feb_23__1941_(7).jpg "A brick schoolhouse?" Come now, Jack, you can speak plainer than that.....

The aerial-action illustrations are really well done as is the silly bombshell one of Joy watching all the action.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Terry is in a bad position, wait listed for an execution list. He's hardly in a position to assist Hu Shee;
whom reasonably is beyond reach. Burma is now primary objective top dog. Ace Slimeball Fun Hun
Mister Charming's gotta go. ba***rd probably carries a Luger. Terry needs to finish off the Junker,
bed bottle rocket Burma, rescue Hu Shee, and get the hell outta Dodge. Tall order but our boy is ready,
willing, and able. Then, later, he absolutely must kick Bucky's ass. And Hu Shee, consummate matters
beyond any doubt. Just a matter of dotting all the i's and crossing the teases.

Terry is in a bad position, wait listed for an execution list. He's hardly in a position to assist Hu Shee;
whom reasonably is beyond reach. Burma is now primary objective top dog. Ace Slimeball Fun Hun
Mister Charming's gotta go. ba***rd probably carries a Luger. Terry needs to finish off the Junker,
bed bottle rocket Burma, rescue Hu Shee, and get the hell outta Dodge. Tall order but our boy is ready,
willing, and able. Then, later, he absolutely must kick Bucky's ass. And Hu Shee, consummate matters
beyond any doubt. Just a matter of dotting all the i's and crossing the teases.

Does he do all of this before or after lunch?

Kidding aside, that is quite a list you've given our yellow-haired not-yet hero, but if he can do half of it, good for him.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_24__1941_.jpg

(Today will not be a good day to talk to Assistant Attorney General John Harlan Amen.)

The Citizens Taxpayers Association announced today that it will drop its opposition to the leasing by the city of buses to replace the Fulton Street trolley lines that would be displaced by the removal of the Fulton Street L, and has given its endorsement to the proposal now pending before the State Assembly intended to expedite those leases. The Association had opposed the original lease plan claiming that the Board of Estimate had no authority to enter into such contracts, but now supports the legislative effort to provide a "legal channel" thru which the agreements can be executed. "The Association has no desire," said the group in a statement, "to see the people of Brooklyn penalized because the city sought to acquire these particular buses in an unlawful manner."

Murder-For-Hire figures Harry "Happy" Maione and Frank "The Dasher" Abbadando were due to go on trial again today for the 1937 icepick murder of George Rudnick. The two had been convicted of that crime last year, but their convictions were overturned by the Court of Appeals, which ordered a retrial. But today's scheduled jury selection has been stalled by the withdrawal from the case of Maione's attorney Sydney Rosenthal, who originally won the appeal, and the desire by Abbadando's attorney for his client to be tried separately.

A bill to force the retirement of public school teachers found "physically or mentally unfit for service" was submitted today to the president of the Board of Education. The measure was drawn up under the supervision of board member Mrs. Johanna M. Lindlof, and is said to be based upon recommendations made by a committee appointed by board president James Marshall seeking to establish protocols for dealing with "the maladjusted teacher," and would grand specific powers to the medical committee of the Board of Education to act under requests by school administrators and require teachers whose capabilities are called into doubt to submit to mental and physical examinations.

Contrary to some reports circulating in the press, the former King Alfonso of Spain is not dead. The monarch, ousted from the throne by the proclamation of the Second Spanish Republic in 1931, is reported to be gravely ill in Rome, and last month renounced all right to the throne in favor of his son Juan Carlos.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_24__1941_(1).jpg

(But what if you're giving up expensive department-store gourmet food for Lent? Pass the pretzels.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_24__1941_(2).jpg
("Hey," says Joe. "When I said t'uttaday we ottagetta cat, I mean'it." "Maybe kinda crowded here pretty soon," says Sally. "Nice to see a mama anna baby t'ough? Ain'it?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_24__1941_(4).jpg
(The "settlement house" movement was an important legacy of the late 19th/early 20th Century Progressive Era/Social Gospel movement to break down social class barriers in American cities by making a wide range of educational and cultural programs available regardless of wealth, religion, or race, and it was especially successful in Brooklyn.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_24__1941_(5).jpg
(The Boys and Girls had better start signing up for auditions, because this is the most definitive of all definitive signs that a long-running show is getting ready to close.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_24__1941_(6).jpg

("And we could also be certain that the fiercest of Amerikaner warriors, Herr Francis Germano, is otherwise occupied.")

The lack of available catching talent is the main fly in Leo Durocher's oatmeal down in Havana, with Lippy displaying ever-mounting frustration over the fact that of the four backstops on the Brooklyn spring training roster, only Herman Franks is presently in camp and in uniform, and his only backup is Paul Gillespie, a gangling kid borrowed from the Montreal Royals' camp until the situation is resolved. Mickey Owen's prolonged holdout is well-known news, and Durocher is waiting anxiously for word from Miami, where Larry MacPhail is said still to be dickering with Bill Terry over a possible trade that would send Owen to the Giants for Harry Danning -- but there is still no explanation for the absence of Babe Phelps or Angelo Guiliani from camp. Phelps is signed and was in Miami last week after reporting late due to a bout with the flu -- but rather than head on to Havana with the rest of the club, the Blimp inexplicably returned home instead. There are suspicions that Phelps's well-documented loathing for airplane travel may have something to do with this, and also suspicions that he may have a similar fear of boat travel. Whatever the reason, Durocher is deeply annoyed with his absence, given that Babe's ever-ballooning bulk is always a challenge to get restrained in the weeks leading up to the season. Guiliani's absence, meanwhile, is even more bizarre -- the young backstop, picked up from the Senators last year, does not figure significantly in Leo's plans for 1941, but that's no excuse for him not being in camp. No one in the Dodger organization has heard a word from the 24-year-old, and no one even knows where he is.

The Dodgers will split into two squads today for a practice game, with Chuck Dressen managing the White team against Red Corriden's Gray team, and Leo will be watching the proceedings closely to see how Pete Reiser does as a starting center fielder. The Dodgers are due to play their first regular game of the spring against the Giants on February 28th.

Word has officially been given by the sponsor of the "Myrt and Marge" radio program that the daily serial will continue, despite the death last week in childbirth of Mrs. Donna Damerel Fick, who had played the role of Marge since the series began in 1931. Myrtle Vail, creator of the series who plays the role of Myrt, and who was Mrs. Fick's mother, will eventually recast the role of Marge, but at present, the character will remain written out of the script.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_24__1941_(7).jpg
(Wait a minute, glamour boy, aren't you forgetting the marriage license? Don't you read "Harold Teen?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_24__1941_(8).jpg
(As of this fall, it will be eighteen years since J. Hartford Oakdale left then-teenage Peggy Bungle at the altar. And yet Jo's loathing of the man continues to blaze with an unquenchable fire. You've got to admire her dedication to her core principles.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_24__1941_(9).jpg
(Nope. I've seen actual 5 1/2 pound babies, and that's no actual 5 1/2 pound baby. What's REALLY going on here?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_24__1941_(10).jpg
(Ahhhh, shoulda paid the little extra for the Goodyear Blowout-Proof Lifeguards!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Feb_24__1941_.jpg
I realize that they need to get in the contest blurb somewhere, but c'mon! This is the dullest Page Four ever. And I bet Miss Elsinor Belk has spent her entire life saying "WITH AN S! Thanks, Mom."

Daily_News_Mon__Feb_24__1941_(1).jpg
Guess there's only so much music appreciation folks can take.

Daily_News_Mon__Feb_24__1941_(2).jpg

"Joe D." Speaking on behalf of Dom and Vince?

Daily_News_Mon__Feb_24__1941_(3).jpg
Seriously? Where's Nick when you need him?

Daily_News_Mon__Feb_24__1941_(4).jpg
Caleb is the local constabulary, so it would seem that jurisdiction in this case ought to default to the county sheriff or the State Police. Not some random city cop with delusions of godhood. Get over yourself, Tracy -- or *you'll* be "on the inside looking out!"

Daily_News_Mon__Feb_24__1941_(5).jpg
The guy from the place where you rented that suit in 1912 and never brought it back?

Daily_News_Mon__Feb_24__1941_(6).jpg
Burma may be a lot of things, but she's no rattle-brained hepcat.

Daily_News_Mon__Feb_24__1941_(7).jpg

Yeah, this is gonna be swell.

Daily_News_Mon__Feb_24__1941_(8).jpg

Ah, the old trope of the "wife dipping into hubby's pocket when he isn't looking." A foundation gag of the Era's marital humor.

Daily_News_Mon__Feb_24__1941_(9).jpg
Don't you still have the one you gave Lillums back when? Or did Senga get that off you too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21