Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Kiel the half wit third person Junker and his suave, urbane William Powell-like personality
seems instinctively hep to the jive though lost in the isosceles triangle with his basket rabbit snare.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Turkish navy has mined all but a narrow channel in the strategic Dardanelles Straits, it was disclosed by authoritative sources today. The mining followed the closing of the Dardanelles to all ships except those issued special permits and guided by Turkish naval pilots. Meanwhile in Rome, a report by the authoritative Fascist editor Virginio Gayda asserts that Britain has landed "substantial military forces" on the vital Salonkia front in Greece. The moves follow the occupation of Bulgaria by the German Army and the nullification of the Bulgarian-Turkish declaration of non-aggression by the Berlin government.

The War Department today announced that it has placed orders with five manufacturing firms for the production of low-cost noncombatant gas masks for use by civilians remaining in areas under military jurisdiction and control. Although the masks will be suitable for general issue to the civilian population, only a limited quantity is now being ordered. The firms to manufacture the masks under the initial contract are the Kemper-Thomas Company of Cincinnati, the Sprague Specialties Company of North Adams, Massachusetts, the Eureka Vacuum Cleaner Company of Detroit, the Pittsburgh Store and Fixture Company of Blairsville, Pennsylvania, and the B. K. B. Company of Los Angeles. Authorities say that the masks will be proof against all known military gases, but will not be designed for the same rigorous use as masks issued to members of the Armed Forces. The War Department noted that the initial orders are primarily intended to develop a source of supply for civilian masks should they be required on an emergency basis, but no expanded production beyond the initial order is planned at this time.

A barrage of letters and telegrams from Brooklyn has descended upon the state capital today as the Assembly prepares for a final vote on the Steingut Bill tomorrow. The messages demanding passage of the measure allowing the leasing of buses, thus clearing the way for the removal of the Fulton Street L, have been sent to leaders in both houses of the Assembly as well as to Governor Herbert H. Lehman.

The sentencing of former fight manager and convicted cardshark racketeer Hyman Caplin has been postponed for a week, pending the revelation of new evidence by one of Caplin's fellow defendants in the case. Mrs. Jennie Rubin of Manhattan declared today that she intends to make certain "revealing statements" concerning the case, and Assistant District Attorney John Rooney sought the postponement to allow time for that testimony to be taken.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Mar_3__1941_.jpg

Famed conductor Dr. Otto H. Klemperer has been released from custody in Morristown, New Jersey after he was examined by a New Jersey State Hospital psychiatrist. The conductor was arrested at the Hotel Revere in Morristown on Saturday after police in Rye, New York broadcast an eight-alarm call for his capture, on a charge that the musician had struck two policemen in that town with a cane and was "dangerous and insane." Dr. Klemperer denied the charge, and his wife Mrs. Johanna Klemperer, his daughter Lotte, and his 21-year-old son Werner echoed that denial. "My father is just as sane as anyone else," shouted the younger Klemperer in broken English, as his mother and sister fended off reporters. Dr. Klemperer and his family came to the United States in 1933 after they were expelled from their native Germany and their property seized by the Nazis. The conductor had been treated for several days at a private sanitarium in Rye, and the New Jersey psychiatrist pronounced him sane but "under a great deal of stress."

Aviator Eddie Rickenbacker is said to be "slightly improved" as he recovers from injuries suffered in the crash of an Eastern Air Lines passenger plane last week near Atlanta, Georgia. The World War ace and head of the Eastern concern remains in an oxygen tent and is running a temperature over 100 degrees as a result of lung damage due to broken ribs.

Temperatures may soar to 50 degrees by the end of the afternoon, but don't expect any sunshine. The warm temperatures and rain should, however, make a considerable dent in snow remaining from last week's blizzard.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(1).jpg

(The vitamin enrichment of white flour is a direct result of campaigns by the consumers-rights movement since the latter half of the 1930s, condemning the complete lack of any meaningful nutritive quality in the refined flour then sold in the United States. In 1943, a Federal law will be passed requiring the enrichment of all refined flour sold in interstate commerce.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(2).jpg

(I have a sneaking suspicion that what really made the difference for Mrs. Lamont is a firmer, more supportive girdle. Her posture is a dead giveaway. I know from experience. Anyway, though, congratulations to all the contestants and for your own good don't go to Horn & Hardart.)

At the Patio this week, Clark Gable and Hedy Lamarr in "Comrade X," paired with Brian Aherne in "Lady in Question."

("Hey," says Sally. "If we move ta Flatbush, we c'n go t'th' Patio alla time. They got t'em gol'fish inna lobby, you like t'em gol'fish." Joe nods, acknowledging that he does, in fact like them goldfish, but he has little else to say.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(3).jpg

(The trope of Fifth Columnists working out of old shacks and using wooden crates for desks is unique to Mr. Lichty, but it's a refreshing break from the usual "underground supervillain base" idea you see everywhere else. Mr. Marsh, please note.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(4).jpg

With their spring off to a 3-0 start after a sweep of the Giants, the 1941 Dodgers are looking more and more like a genuine threat to unseat the Reds as National League Champions. And in contrast, the Giants look weaker and more inept than ever. After three games, it's evident that the Flock is replete with both power and pitching, but Mr. Terry's gentlemen seem to be in serious need of both. He'll need a miracle if the Polo Grounders are to make any progress at all this year. In the three games against the Giants, the Dodgers were clearly their superior in every possible way -- the inevitable triumph of a well-rounded ball club against a team that should cause precisely no fear in anyone.

With Bimilech having disappointed all observers with his poor showing in the Widener Challenge Handicap last week, his owner Col. E. R. Bradley is said to be seriously considering retiring the horse. Bimilech is 17 pounds heavier as a four-year-old than he was at age three, and has not looked especially impressive since his recovery from a hoof injury that cut his schedule short last year.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(9).jpg

("Sigh," sighs Joe. "Sigh.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(5).jpg
(His "synthetic charm" appears to have worn off too. Jail won't be much fun.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(6).jpg
("Puttynose Bungle?" Say, you're one to talk.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(7).jpg
(A nod here to Dale Connor, who deserves praise for keeping Sue's glasses on. Lana, please take note -- no man is worth severe uncorrected myopia.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(8).jpg
(Note how cozy Dan and Irwin seem to be in their matching hospital beds. An interesting nod to the possible nature of their.....oh, hell, FACE EATING DOG! FACE EATING DOG! FACE EATING DOG!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Mar_3__1941_.jpg
There's something going on in this Klemperer story that isn't being told.

Daily_News_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(1).jpg

I'm not so hep on oysters, but the rest of these -- yum!

Daily_News_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(2).jpg

I swear I have nothing to do with this. I only went to Williamsburg that one time, and the only male I talked to was a squirrel in McCarren Park.

Daily_News_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(3).jpg
Another very specific-looking face. We really need a mugbook of Gould's relatives, friends, and enemies.

Daily_News_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(4).jpg

"Were I my own master -- say, exactly why AREN'T I my own master? Attention, bald one -- we must speak!"

Daily_News_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(5).jpg
Think fast, kid.

Daily_News_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(6).jpg
Think fast, knob-head.

Daily_News_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(7).jpg
Me-Too, Class of 1941.

Daily_News_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(8).jpg
Moon doesn't deserve Mush's friendship, but he does deserve whatever's about to happen to him.

Daily_News_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(9).jpg

Tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick.....

...At the Patio this week, Clark Gable and Hedy Lamarr in "Comrade X," paired with Brian Aherne in "Lady in Question."...

See its inspiration, "Ninotchka" first.

With their spring off to a 3-0 start after a sweep of the Giants, the 1941 Dodgers are looking more and more like a genuine threat to unseat the Reds as National League Champions. And in contrast, the Giants look weaker and more inept than ever. After three games, it's evident that the Flock is replete with both power and pitching, but Mr. Terry's gentlemen seem to be in serious need of both. He'll need a miracle if the Polo Grounders are to make any progress at all this year. In the three games against the Giants, the Dodgers were clearly their superior in every possible way -- the inevitable triumph of a well-rounded ball club against a team that should cause precisely no fear in anyone....

Let's all take it down a notch, the season hasn't even started.

...With Bimilech having disappointed all observers with his poor showing in the Widener Challenge Handicap last week, his owner Col. E. R. Bradley is said to be seriously considering retiring the horse. Bimilech is 17 pounds heavier as a four-year-old than he was at age three, and has not looked especially impressive since his recovery from a hoof injury that cut his schedule short last year....

Maybe he just needs to sign up for the slenderizing course.

... View attachment 314961
("Sigh," sighs Joe. "Sigh.")...

No opportunities for promotion at the pickle factory?

.. Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(7).jpg (A nod here to Dale Connor, who deserves praise for keeping Sue's glasses on. Lana, please take note -- no man is worth severe uncorrected myopia.)...

Agreed, but it helps that she looks cute as heck in them anyway, as does Lana.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(8).jpg (Note how cozy Dan and Irwin seem to be in their matching hospital beds. An interesting nod to the possible nature of their.....oh, hell, FACE EATING DOG! FACE EATING DOG! FACE EATING DOG!)

Yup, noticed that too, and boy would it explain a lot in an "old bickering couple" sorta way.

.. Daily_News_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(2).jpg
I swear I have nothing to do with this. I only went to Williamsburg that one time, and the only male I talked to was a squirrel in McCarren Park........

"...and then always give the excuse that they've sprained a leg or broken their arm?" Seriously, how often has this happened to Microbe and Liz? Also, seems like a stupid excuse if you ever plan to see the girl again.

... Daily_News_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(5).jpg Think fast, kid......

Is it wrong that I picture Hu Shee, clad in skin-tight black leather, swinging by on a rope (ignore the logistics), sweeping Terry up in one arm and swooping him away to safety? Then, in the day's last panel, we see a from-behind shot of silhouetted Hu Shee with Terry in her arm, his head resting on her shoulder, standing together on the ledge of a nearby roof looking down at the gobsmacked chauffeur.

... Daily_News_Mon__Mar_3__1941_(7).jpg Me-Too, Class of 1941.....

Sadly yes. It's also a story told regularly in the movies of the time. Too often lightheartedly, but not always as sometimes they showed its ugliness and sometimes they showed women using it as an opportunity.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Mr. Holmes in the Eagle has had a grudge against Bill Terry since "Is Brooklyn Still In The League?" back in 1934, and he will never forego an opportunity to rub that particular crack in Mr. Terry's face.

The most remarkable thing about that box score, though, is at the very bottom. "Time of game 1:46." Sure, spring training games do usually go faster than the regular season, but look at the game itself -- lots of hitting, lots of scoring, a ton of lineup moves and managerial shifts. And yet they still whipped it off in less than two hours. It's almost like they all couldn't wait to get over to Hemingway's house for post-game drinks.

A modern Hu Shee movie directed by Ang Lee would be a thing to marvel at.

PrivateEye

One of the Regulars
The most remarkable thing about that box score, though, is at the very bottom. "Time of game 1:46." Sure, spring training games do usually go faster than the regular season, but look at the game itself -- lots of hitting, lots of scoring, a ton of lineup moves and managerial shifts. And yet they still whipped it off in less than two hours. It's almost like they all couldn't wait to get over to Hemingway's house for post-game drinks.

I'm as big a baseball fan as anyone, but it seems they're doing their best to make the games just drag on.

There is simply no reason to take so long between pitches. It doesn't just drag out the length of the game, it makes it difficult to watch, even for a little while.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Steingut Bill now awaits the signature of Governor Herbert H. Lehman after receiving approval in the state legislature "with record speed." Scarcely 90 minutes after receiving Assembly approval, the measure was taken up and approved in the Senate, and forwarded to the governor's office for final enactment. It is expected that the Governor will sign the bill by the end of the day, and with that signature will bring down the final obstacle to the removal of the Fulton Street L. The new law will clear the way for the Board of Transportation to lease buses intended to take over Brooklyn trolley routes to be displaced by the removal of the L structure supporting their power lines. Mayor LaGuardia stated this afternoon that he has sent his thanks to the state capital for the swift action taken on the measure. "Now," he continued, "watch the sparks fly as we put the torch to the Fulton Street L!"

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Mar_4__1941_.jpg

A tall, powerfully-built youth from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania is under arrest for the murder of Mrs. John Papas, Bronx housewife who was assaulted and strangled to death in her apartment last month, and is expected also to face charges in as many as 33 additional rape cases, in a path of violence that spanned the continent. Police say George Joseph Cvek confessed to the Papas murder and several other assaults this morning after an all-night interrogation climaxed by an in-person confrontation of the suspect by eight of his victims. Police nabbed Cvec in a Mills Hotel at 36th Street and 7th Avenue in Manhattan following an extensive investigation based on fingerprint evidence gathered from the scene of the Papas crime. and handwriting evidence gathered from postcards sent by the suspect to Father Edward Flanagan at Boys Town, Nebraska. Detectives say the youth began his criminal rampage in Nebraska last year, and has been hitchiking around the country since then, raping and robbing housewives all along the way, on a route that extended as far south as Washington D. C. and as far north as Maine. Among the additional crimes expected to be charged to Cvec is the murder of Mrs. Catherine Watson, 63-year-old wife of William Watson, vice president of the Sullivan Drydock Company, who was found bludgeoned to death in a fourth-floor room of her home at 404 61st Street on January 2nd.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Mar_4__1941_.jpg

(I'DA HAD 'EM IF YOU'D LET ME!)

A Coney Island junkman has been stripped of his bell, and says he "might as well go on relief" if he can't use sound effects to announce his presence on the streets. 36-year-old Morris Friedman of 1055 Blake Avenue was hauled into Coney Island Court yesterday for violation of the city's anti-noise ordinance, after a patrolman charged that he rang a loud bell and yelled "JUNK! JUNK!" from the seat of his horse-drawn wagon. Friedman told Magistrate Jeaninne Brill that he had no other way to advise housewives of his presence, and while the Magistrate was not unsympathetic, she advised Mr. Friedman that she had no choice under the law but to fine him a dollar, but she also recommended that he "see the Mayor" about his problem.

The Soviet Union has rebuked Bulgaria for allowing itself to fall under German occupation, leading the Nazi government to warn Russia that it "will tolerate no restrictions on its ability to carry on the war against Britain."

A partner in the curb brokerage firm of Merrill Lynch, E. A. Pierce, and Casseatt awaits arraignment today on charges that he embezzled more than $32,000 from the company to finance his taste for the Broadway night life. 48-year-old Waldorf J. Guttmann of 42 89th Street in Bay Ridge was arrested yesterday after detectives investigated a large cache of jewelry said to be deposited under the name of his late mother-in-law at a Manhattan bank.

("Waldorf J. Guttmann?" Who's writing this stuff?)

Pert Gert Perry of Bushwick was just another high school girl in a sweater and saddle shoes until she won a "Gateway to Hollywood" state contest sponsored by RKO Studios last year. Then her life started to change, fast -- she got a job singing at the World's Fair last summer, and now she's a 17-year-old nightclub star at the Manhattan Inn. But don't look for "Gert Perry" on the bill -- she goes by "Penny Rogers" now, and by any name she's a rising star with a Judy Garland-like way with a popular song. She still lives at home, though, with her mother and her two little brothers, and she doesn't expect that to change for quite a while to come.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Mar_4__1941_(1).jpg

(Yesterday I left the house with mismatched shoes. Does that count?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Mar_4__1941_(2).jpg

(Not a bad bill. Roz is always worth watching, and "Black Parrot" is a neat little potboiler.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Mar_4__1941_(3).jpg

("Coming Events Cast Their Shadows Before...")

Reader F. E. Hutchings is not convinced that buses are the best deal for Brooklyn, both from the perspective of cost and the perspective of traffic, and he suggests a trial run before pulling up the Fulton Street trolley tracks. Why not try buses *and* keep the trolleys running for a while to see which passengers prefer? You could leave up the L support posts to hold the wires while removing the rest of the structure, at least until the point, one way or the other, is proven.

A Brooklyn psychiatrist has concluded that Father Divine, Harlem cult leader, is a "theological egomaniac." Dr. Mortimer M. Sherman visited Father Divine's "heaven" on Sunday to witness a rally in which the Father railed against a Supreme Court ruling that he must pay a $3947 judgement obtained against him by one of his former "angels." But Dr. Sherman also concluded that regardless of his motives, the impact the Father has upon his followers is "great, and I would say, good."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Mar_4__1941_(4).jpg
(HEY TERRY! IS THE GIANTS STILL IN THE LEAGUE?)

Larry MacPhail is in a good mood these days despite the continuing absence of Mickey Owen from the Dodger training camp in Havana, and when you look at the Flock you can see that the Red Headed One has much to be in a good mood about. Larry's great enthusiasm of the moment is veteran Alex Kampouris, slick-and-quick Greek infielder picked up in the minor league draft over the winter. Kampouris broke into the big leagues with Reds back when MacPhail ran that club and Chuck Dressen was his manager -- and Larry says Dressen will be the first to tell you that Kampouris is one of the best defensive second basemen out there, and that if he has a good spring, he might just crowd Pete Coscarart off the bag.

(Sally frowns. "Y'know, if it's a boy, we otta call'im Pete." Joe snaps his head up. "No, we ottnotta. Y'know who useta be my fav'rite playa? When I was a kid? Zack Wheat, 'at's who. Let's call'm -- Wheat. "Wheatie" fa shot." "If you ain' gonna be serious 'bout 't'is, t'en don' say nutt'n'," mutters Sally. "Who ain't bein' serious?" yells Joe. "WHO AIN'T BEIN' SERIOUS?" He sinks back in his chair. "We ain' ready for 't'is," he murmurs. "Nobody eva is," sighs Sally. "Nobody eva is.")

The third of the "Free Company's" CBS productions over WABC next Sunday will feature a dramatization by Robert Sherwood of the life of the fiery abolitionist leader Elijah Lovejoy. Entitled "American Crusader," the play will feature Burgess Meredith as the narrator and Franchot Tone in the role of Lovejoy.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Mar_4__1941_(5).jpg
(I can't remember the last time we had an amnesia plot.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Mar_4__1941_(6).jpg
("Nozzlenose?" Butcherly is on a roll.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Mar_4__1941_(7).jpg
(Didn't Leona used to have a hat like that? Hope so, because Sooz is gonna need all the Leona she can get.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Mar_4__1941_(8).jpg
(RUN KAY RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Mar_4__1941_.jpg
You will find most of the Heye collection today at the Smithsonian Instution's National Museum of the American Indian, where it's presented with a good bit more sensitivity and scientific rigor that seems to be the case here. This story was kicked off by a Robert Moses report challenging the relevance of most of the city's museums, and calling for what we would call today a more "visitor friendly" approach to the presentation of their collections.

Daily_News_Tue__Mar_4__1941_(1).jpg

(Yes, *that* Werner. This seems to be quite the week for postwar TV icons showing up in 1941.)

Daily_News_Tue__Mar_4__1941_(2).jpg
Joe and Sally share a single thought: "Gawdawmighty."

Daily_News_Tue__Mar_4__1941_(3).jpg

Hell. He sent them to an alternate plane of existence that closely resembles a sixteenth-century Calvinist's conception of Hell. Hey Bungle, top that.

Daily_News_Tue__Mar_4__1941_(4).jpg
Y'don't say. Yes, it does, in fact, look like somebody's slip-over sweater. Boy it sure is good we have a trained detective on the case.

Daily_News_Tue__Mar_4__1941_(5).jpg
I've always kind of assumed that Min is somewhere north of forty, so it's pretty neat that she's hep to the whole boogie-woogie fad.

Daily_News_Tue__Mar_4__1941_(6).jpg
Wise up kid, you've been had.

Daily_News_Tue__Mar_4__1941_(7).jpg

And the next morning, they'll find Sally's resignation on Chigger's desk, and Chigger doubled over in agony under it.

Daily_News_Tue__Mar_4__1941_(8).jpg
Tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick....

Daily_News_Tue__Mar_4__1941_(9).jpg
Another purloined "Rochester and Mr. Benny" bit.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Mar_4__1941_.jpg
(I'DA HAD 'EM IF YOU'D LET ME!)...

To quote Lizzie: "FACE-EATING DOG."

...The Soviet Union has rebuked Bulgaria for allowing itself to fall under German occupation, leading the Nazi government to warn Russia that it "will tolerate no restrictions on its ability to carry on the war against Britain."...

A pact is just words on a piece of paper. I believe Germany is telling the USSR something about the value of those words if the USSR is listening carefully as June 22, 1941 is not far away.

... Daily_News_Tue__Mar_4__1941_(1).jpg
(Yes, *that* Werner. This seems to be quite the week for postwar TV icons showing up in 1941.)...

Funny how stuff often seems to cluster. If you believe in the rule of three, we should be getting one more future TV icon popping up soon.

And Werner looks younger, yes, but basically, the same as he does twenty years later.

... Daily_News_Tue__Mar_4__1941_(8).jpg Tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick........

Oh for God's sake, show some character. March over, tell Lillums the truth and be done with it.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I'm as big a baseball fan as anyone, but it seems they're doing their best to make the games just drag on.

There is simply no reason to take so long between pitches. It doesn't just drag out the length of the game, it makes it difficult to watch, even for a little while.

Baseball is dynamic, evolving. Pitchers throw increased velocity. After a hundred, usually sit down,
and seldom hurl a whole niner. Closure specialists. Relief squads. Arms limited duration.
Batters have eclectic styles, hot dogging has changed the game tactically. Juice.
Baseball is more fence ball, thievery a dying art. It's changing and not necessarily for the better.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Terry is a mark. Burma is a discard. Kiel is a basket case.

Surprised more folks do not write to complain about Harold, sorry sonuvabitch.
And Lana is such an angel.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_5__1941_.jpg

Federal agents arrested a 41-year-old Brooklyn real estate man on charges that he solicited and accepted a bribe to defer a man from military duty, while serving as a member of Draft Board No. 182 in Flatbush. Irving Schiller was taken into custody by G-Men this morning as he arrived at his office at 554 Atlantic Avenue, and taken to the Bergen Street precinct for questioning. Agents stated that Mr. Schiller accepted five marked $20 bills from 24-year-old certified public accountant Fred Schwartzstien of 1001 President Street in a transaction in a parked car near the corner of President and Franklin Avenue. Schwartzstien, it is reported, was acting under police instructions, after he contacted New York Selective Service director Col. Arthur V. McDermott to report that Schiller had "offered to do something for him" in exchange for a cash payment. Police say that Schiller at first denied knowing why he was given the money, but subsequently admitted that he "wanted to see if he could help the man out."

Federal agents and the Police Department Sabotage Squad are investigating an early morning subway accident in Park Slope, in which a three-car IRT train was brought to a crashing halt by a large piece of steel jammed into the tracks between 15th Street and 7th Avenue. No immediate explanation for the presence of the metal plate was found, suggesting it may have been placed there in a deliberate attempt to derail a train. No one was injured in the incident, but service on the line was disrupted for more than an hour.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(1).jpg

With Governor Herbert H. Lehman having signed the Steingut Bill into law, the buses necessary to replace the trolleys on Fulton Street may begin arriving within sixty days, with deliveries at a rate of 50 per month up to the total of 250. The $3,300,000 bus leasing contract will allow the city to finally set a positive date for the start of demolition of the now-derelict Fulton Street L, which ran its last downtown train nearly a year ago.

The Board of Transportation is now advertising for and is expected to receive bids for the demolition of the L by March 18th, with the contract to require completion of the project within five months.

The Executive Council of the American Federation of Teachers today produced a document it called "an official report of the Communist Party" outlining Red domination of Brooklyn Local 5. The report, said to have been delivered at a state convention of the New York Communist Party by one "J. Mason," believed to be a high-ranking member of the union, discusses growth in membership in the local up to the year 1938, noting that it expanded from 300 to 7000 members between 1935 and that year due to a Communist-backed recruiting drive. The report also claims that similar campaigns helped organize WPA and college teachers, as well as locals upstate, and notes that in addition to Communists, the locals also include "Lovestoneites, Trotskyites, and Trotskyite-led Socialists."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(2).jpg

(Or you can go downa drug store and get a big jar of Pond's for half a buck.)

The confessed killer of Bronx housewife Mrs. Catherine Papas is being grilled today in connection with the unsolved murder a year ago of a 17-year-old Pennsylvania co-ed. George Cvek, a highway bum from Harrisburg, Pa., is believed to be a possible suspect in the brutal sex-fiend murder of Rachel Taylor, whose body was found near the Pennsylvania State College campus last March 28th. In addition to that killing, Pennsylvania authorities intend to question Cvek about another unsolved sex-fiend murder, that of 19-year-old Margaret Martin of Kingston, Pa. on December 19, 1938, even though prison records indicate that Cvek was behind bars on that date. Cvek has now confessed to assaulting and robbing a total of 15 women in Eastern cities, but police say he may be guilty of more than 30 such crimes.

"Ex-Pollyanna" writes in to Helen Worth in defense of "Disillusioned," the young married woman who complained that all her husband wants to do is eat and take naps. Ex-P says that describes her life as well, and that when she was young and optimistic she figured that eventually it would change -- but it never did, and now she knows that it never will. Finally, and after much heartache, she realized that she would never be happy until she learned to enjoy going out and doing things by herself -- and that's exactly what she does, night after night, weekend after weekend. And what would she do if she was in her twenties again? "Run -- run like Paul Revere."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(3).jpg

(Well, at least it's a real tank and not an old truck covered with cardboard armor and a piece of pipe sticking out the front for a gun.)

A 53-year-old self-styled "matrimonial counselor" from Coney Island is charged with operating an illegal lottery out of his home. Louis Zwickel of 1676 E. 18th Street is accused of using his "marriage bureau" as a front for bingo games. Mr. Zwickel pleaded not guilty after he was raided by plainclothesmen and brought before Magistrate Jeaninne Brill in Coney Island Court. Detectives said they paid 25 cents each for admission to Zwickel's home and played two games of bingo there. Zwickel denied that any cash prizes were offered at the games, with boxes of chocolates awarded to the winners, and declared that the games were simply "a way of getting couples together."

The Cleveland Indians arrive in Havana today for a three-game weekend series against the Dodgers at La Nacional Field, but Pete Reiser's status for those games may be in question. Pete suffered an ankle sprain in a practice session yesterday, but the injury "is not believed to be serious." Whether he will play during the Cleveland series remains to be seen.

Meanwhile, Indians owner Alva Bradley says he may reveal the full story of last year's "Cry Baby Rebellion" if there is any more of the "cry baby" taunting of his club from the stands this year. The 1940 Indians became the joke of the league last summer after several players formed a rebellion against then-manager Oscar Vitt and his "high handed treatment", leading fans around the American League to mock them with razzberries, boo-hoos, and baby bottles thrown onto the field. Bradley hints there is much more to the story than was made public last year. Vitt was fired at the end of the season and is now managing the Portland Beavers of the Pacific Coast League. He was replaced as Indians manager by veteran Roger Peckinpaugh.

Bob Feller is expected to face the Dodgers in the first game of the Cleveland trio, and as he does so, his name is fast rising to the top of the Selective Service list. A Cleveland draft board official has said that Feller is very likely to get his callup notice before the season is over, which would be nothing less than a catastrophe for any Indian pennant drive. Ted Williams of the Red Sox is another player who could get the call from Uncle before the season wraps, along with Johnny Rigney of the White Sox. Hank Greenberg of the Tigers is, of course, a cinch to go before the end of June, and Hugh Mulcahy of the Phillies didn't even get to go South with his club, and is to be sworn into the Army on Saturday. And of course, Cookie Lavagetto's draft status is causing much concern around the Dodgers office.

The Dodgers have plenty of outfielders on the 1941 spring roster, but there's a hint they may be planning to trade for another. Nothing has come of talk that Larry MacPhail will send holdout catcher Mickey Owen to the Giants for Harry Danning, but the Red Headed One is said now to be in talks with Bill Terry to get hard-hitting right-handed outfielder Frank Demaree. The Flock has no shortage of left-handed pull-hitting flycatchers -- which is fine for Ebbets Field -- but they come up short in the right-handed department, with only Joe Medwick, Joe Gallagher, and Joe Vosmik batting right. Of the three Joes, only Medwick is sure of a spot in the 1941 lineup. Gallagher is deep in the Durocher Doghouse because he reported to camp almost 30 pounds overweight, and is unlikely to generate any excitement with Mr. Terry. That leaves Vosmik, who is a good, solid right-handed pull hitter -- but that's essentially all he is, and MacPhail feels Demaree might offer more versatility coming off the bench as a backup or pinch hitter. Whether a straight-up Vosmik-for-Demaree deal can be negotiated, or whether the Giants would want someone else remains to be seen.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(4).jpg

(Seriously, though, how can there be anybody left who hasn't seen this yet?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(5).jpg

("Sacre bleu! Five year ago, I am zee beegest star in Hollywoood. Now I play zee Flutboosh. Eef zere is un act du chien on zee beel, I am LEEVEENG!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(6).jpg
(Really sister, aren't you aiming just a bit low?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(7).jpg
(These two guys are the most realistic cops I've ever seen in a comic strip. "Pipe down, shortpants!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(8).jpg
(MUSIC -- SHARP VIOLIN STING)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(9).jpg
("WHERE ARE MY CLOTHES?" Hey, don't look at me, you're the big detective. And I do feel sorry for Wolf, who, if he ends up catching the Skull, is bound to be disappointed in the lack of face to eat.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Mar_5__1941_.jpg
The "Mills Hotel" mentioned in the story was part of a chain of low-end city hotels catering to transients, dockworkers, and vaudeville actors -- generally considered one step above a flophouse. There were many of them dotted all over scroungier sections of Manhattan.

Daily_News_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(1).jpg

SPRING IS ALMOST HERE. Sally is wondering if she ought to go up a size, because, y' know, they say ya feet swell.

Daily_News_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(2).jpg

Every time radio and stage folk appear in the Inquiring Fotographer, I keep hoping they'll have someone I knew, or at least met. But now I really wish I'd met Olsen and Johnson's secretary, because I imagine that was not an easy job to hold, what with all the Hellz A Poppin'.

Daily_News_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(3).jpg
I think the thing that terrified me the most about Punjab was that he seemed to take such absolute pleasure in his work.

Daily_News_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(4).jpg
Shoulda stuck to knitting socks, huh lady?

Daily_News_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(5).jpg
Well, we know it isn't Cap'n Blaze.

Daily_News_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(6).jpg
Keep it up, neckbone, and you won't have a nose either.

Daily_News_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(7).jpg
Where did Wumple find this guy anyway, on a post office wall?

Daily_News_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(8).jpg
Mush is a stereotype, but he's no fool.

Daily_News_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(9).jpg

Yeah, this is going to work out well for EVERYBODY.

...A 53-year-old self-styled "matrimonial counselor" from Coney Island is charged with operating an illegal lottery out of his home. Louis Zwickel of 1676 E. 18th Street is accused of using his "marriage bureau" as a front for bingo games. Mr. Zwickel pleaded not guilty after he was raided by plainclothesmen and brought before Magistrate Jeaninne Brill in Coney Island Court. Detectives said they paid 25 cents each for admission to Zwickel's home and played two games of bingo there. Zwickel denied that any cash prizes were offered at the games, with boxes of chocolates awarded to the winners, and declared that the games were simply "a way of getting couples together."..

To this day, illegal bingo games still pop up in the news from time to time.

...Gallagher is deep in the Durocher Doghouse because he reported to camp almost 30 pounds overweight, and is unlikely to generate any excitement with Mr. Terry. ...

Mrs. Fitzsimmons, a kind woman by nature, sitting quietly at her kitchen table in her bathrobe and fuzzy slippers and with coffee in hand and a copy of the Eagle open to the sports pages, can't quite suppress a small smile.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(4).jpg
(Seriously, though, how can there be anybody left who hasn't seen this yet?)...

No kidding. It's got to be repeat viewing.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(8).jpg (MUSIC -- SHARP VIOLIN STING)...

[Checks notes] "Yes ma'am, it takes a full six weeks to establish residency in Reno."

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(9).jpg ("WHERE ARE MY CLOTHES?" Hey, don't look at me, you're the big detective. And I do feel sorry for Wolf, who, if he ends up catching the Skull, is bound to be disappointed in the lack of face to eat.)

Lizzie, we've scheduled an appointment with the school psychiatrist for you, she wants to discuss all the "face-eating dog" comments we've seen in your recent papers.

... Daily_News_Wed__Mar_5__1941_.jpg The "Mills Hotel" mentioned in the story was part of a chain of low-end city hotels catering to transients, dockworkers, and vaudeville actors -- generally considered one step above a flophouse. There were many of them dotted all over scroungier sections of Manhattan.....

We can add "Gar Wood" to our list of interesting names we've seen just this week alone.

... Daily_News_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(2).jpg
Every time radio and stage folk appear in the Inquiring Fotographer, I keep hoping they'll have someone I knew, or at least met. But now I really wish I'd met Olsen and Johnson's secretary, because I imagine that was not an easy job to hold, what with all the Hellz A Poppin'...

And while we're discussing her, "Ms. Edlund, just a suggestion, but perhaps you want to consider rephrasing your answer before we go to print, '...but fun with older men who have accomplished things is more pleasurable because I am learning all the time'."

... Daily_News_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(6).jpg Keep it up, neckbone, and you won't have a nose either.....

In the 1956 movie "Tea and Sympathy," a key plot pivot happens when the male lead sits down on the beach with a few older women and helps one of them sew on a button. Most of the women and his male classmates (who, shortly, spy him doing it) are all but horrified and, sub-rosa, question his masculinity. (Comments on "Tea and Sympathy here: #24871)

He is just about to take the incriminating thread and needle ⇩
tea6.png

... Daily_News_Wed__Mar_5__1941_(7).jpg Where did Wumple find this guy anyway, on a post office wall?....

Sadly, now that we know more about him, I'm guessing he'll actually like Wilmer.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Terry and Burma. Burma and Terry. A constriction of the circumference, trap set. Denouement.

And, speaking of denouement...Tea and Sympathy. Deborah Kerr on the beach, hot mature daughter
of Venus, goddess in her own right. And loved that ending. Another flick to see again, and another book
to reread, whenever.

Yesterday's newspapers are as vivid today, if not more so. The Chicago Sun Times has the usual crime,
local and national political scene, but yesterday's societal crime provoked much more detail, more complete
thoroughness. Legally speaking, a lot more got inside between the sheets than simple recount,
quite the naked truth.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A City College history instructor and self-described former Communist today told the Rapp Coudert Committee that he "saw the registrar of City College" at the Communist Party's New York City headquarters. William Martin Canning testified today before the investigating panel during a session at the Manhattan Supreme Court Building that he saw John Kenneth Ackley during a visit to the Communist heaquarters, during the period between 1936 and 1938 he specified as the duration of his own party membership. Canning testified that he belonged to a "City College cell" under the name of "John Russell," and that the cell met at the Manhattan home of chemistry instructor Sidney Eisenberger. "A great mass of Communist literature," declared Canning, "was on display during the meetings."

(Don't you hate when you invite a guy to a party, and all he does is paw thru your bookcase?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Mar_6__1941_.jpg

Residents of Red Hook are rallying around a fifteen-year-old violinist who was denied the right to apply to the prestigious High School of Music and Arts, 135th St. and Convent Avenue, in Manhattan because she comes from a poor family and lives in a poor neighborhood. Miss Angelina Faraone, an accomplished musician, graduated from John Harrigan Junior High School at Public School 29 in Red Hook in January of this year, and told her guidance counselor that she wanted to apply to the Music and Arts School for the coming term. But according to Angelina's mother, Mrs. Concetta Faraone of 223 Union Street, she was told by counselor Morris Selavan that "you come from a low class of people and a very poor neighborhood," and that therefore she could not apply to the Music and Arts school, which attracts talented pupils from all over the city. Miss Faraone nonetheless took the entrance examination for the school and achieved a score sufficient to qualify her for admission, but her application was nevertheless rejected because, school officials told her mother, "she received a poor recommendation." Neighborhood residents have taken up Angelina's cause with vigor, and have formed the Red Hook Equal School Opportunity Committee to press city education officials to reverse that rejection. The principal of P. S. 29, Dr. Edmond H. Gannon, denies that any discrimination was practiced against Miss Faraone, and that she simply didn't achieve high enough of a score on the examination to qualify for one of the small number of openings available at the school.

The U. S. State Department today ordered restrictions on the movements of all Italian diplomatic representatives now in the United States, save those of the Ambassador and his immediate staff, and directed that Italian consulates in Newark, N. J. and Detroit, Michigan be closed. The orders, issued today by Secretary of State Cordell Hull are among the most stringent diplomatic measures ever taken by the United States against a nation with which it is technically at peace, and come as reprisal against Italy for the closing of American consulates at Naples and Palermo, and restrictions on the movements of U. S. Ambassador William Phillips and staff members at the American Embassy in Rome.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Mar_6__1941_(1).jpg

(I can't wait to see what Dan Dunn does.)

A 36-year-old "Negro WPA worker" who found a valuable bracelet lying on the ground near a Manhattan subway kiosk last summer and turned it in to police today became the legal owner of the jewelry after the person who lost it failed to make a claim within the stated period. William Duncan of 544 Throop Street found the bauble last July, and assumed it was a mere trinket, but when a pawnbroker friend told him it was made up from diamonds, onyx, and emeralds, he immediately turned it in to authorities. Today he claims the bracelet, valued at an estimated $2100, and intends to sell it in order to pay off debts.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Mar_6__1941_(2).jpg

(Pasteurized, homogenized, and now Vitamin D -- and consumer milk finally assumes its familiar modern form.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Mar_6__1941_.jpg

("Naughty, saucy, spicy, Frenchy." "Hey," says Joe. "Maybe *I* oughta get up an ack, an' go inna vaud-a-ville." "You ain' Frenchy," says Sally. "Ya Lithuaniany." "Ya t'ink t'ey'll notice?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Mar_6__1941_(1).jpg

(Nine days to get those forms in! Get busy!)

When the Dodgers head to Miami next week for a two-game series against the Giants, they may carry with them the most cutting snub in all the long history of the interborough rivalry, with Leo Durocher suggesting he will send a team made up of scrubs and rookies to face the Terrymen. The Flock is flying high these days after kicking off its spring training schedule with a three-game sweep of the stumbling, fumbling Jints, and Lippy is convinced the Miami series isn't worth sending his first string squad, which he'll instead reserve for a series against a team of Cuban All-Stars. With Giant dudgeon already high over three straight losses to Brooklyn, it is likely when the two teams meet at Ebbets Field on Opening Day that the fur will, as they say, fly.

The Dodgers' pre-season games will be broadcast over WOR for the next two weekends, with Red Barber and Al Helfer returning to do the play-by-play, and will then start on a daily basis as of March 17th thru the balance of the training season. However, the contract with WOR calls for the broadcasts to end no later than 5:45 pm, whether or not the game is over, to make way for commercial commitments. If a broadcast is cut off under this rule, WOR will air regular updates during all station breaks until the game is completed. Night games will not be aired during the coming regular season due to commercial commitments.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Mar_6__1941_(2).jpg
(He might call himself "Booker McCaw," but he acts like Moon Mullins. Come to think of it, Daddy Hodgers does look a bit like Lord Plushbottom.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Mar_6__1941_(3).jpg

(Isn't anybody going to point out the obvious fact that the cop with the honker and the moustache is obviously another of George's many brothers or cousins or whatever?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Mar_6__1941_(4).jpg

("Um, around the office we -- ah -- call her "Lillums." It's -- um -- sort of a nickname....")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Mar_6__1941_(5).jpg
(Migawd! When Irwin's hit, he *deflates!* Top THAT, Mr. Gould!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__Mar_6__1941_.jpg
"Barbara Hutton's got the dough, parley voo! Where she gets it we all know, parley voo! We work at Woolworth's Five and Dime, The pay we get is sure a crime! Hinkey dinkey par-ley vooo!" -- union song, 1941.

Daily_News_Thu__Mar_6__1941_(1).jpg

Never mind Babs, I wanna see Cary as a stilt-walking sandwich man.

Daily_News_Thu__Mar_6__1941_(2).jpg

"Yankee Britches??" We used to call these "rhumba panties." When I was a toddler I had a pair that said "Meet Me At The Fair" across the rump. I often wonder about that.

Daily_News_Thu__Mar_6__1941_(3).jpg
Look, "Punjab" is bad enough, but "Omar?" "Yogi?" Prepare to be "canceled," cap-wearing one...

Daily_News_Thu__Mar_6__1941_(4).jpg
Mr. Gould spent the whole day drawing that screen door. And then he did those bricks and that fence and those trees. And some people say cartoonists have it easy.

Daily_News_Thu__Mar_6__1941_(5).jpg
OK, so Chigger introduced the dice game, which means they're probably his dice. And if things go as they usually do, they're probably loaded. So he *let* Wilmer win to build up his confidence before moving in for the kill. Clearly Chigs reads the papers.

Daily_News_Thu__Mar_6__1941_(6).jpg
You still haven't checked to confirm that the gun is loaded with real bullets and not blanks? Chump move, kid.

Daily_News_Thu__Mar_6__1941_(7).jpg
If they hadn't already established it's a veiled woman, I'd bet it was Bim's old arch enemy, the nefarious Townsend Zander, who is an epic figure out of the potboilingest of Victorian potboilers right down to his crazy eyes and his Evil Goatee. Although maybe it's still Townsend Zander -- Master of Disguise!

Daily_News_Thu__Mar_6__1941_(8).jpg
Seriously, Lil? A *white telephone??* You, just a kid from the neighborhood? Who do you think you are, Rosemary Lane?

Daily_News_Thu__Mar_6__1941_(9).jpg
Ah! Finally, a movie studio! At last a chance for Jimmy Cagney to personally punch Moon in the face for stealing his bit.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I started this strip in the sixth inning, read all signals and whatever managerial sly scratch stuff pitched
by that freak Burma hooked up with, but nowze time to play some ball Ter.

And Ter, that Walther ppk auto is loaded with .22 blanks, no real recoil kid, shoulda known fly's open kid. ...but Burma's here, so keep it unzipped kiddo.

Just cannot look at Harold Teen, he's going to break dear Lana's heart.
That sweet angel.

Last edited:
... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Mar_6__1941_(1).jpg
(I can't wait to see what Dan Dunn does.)...

As noted before, if the Gumps were given the demolition job, by the time they were done, instead of demolishing it, they would have somehow ended up adding on to the existing L structure.

...The Dodgers' pre-season games will be broadcast over WOR for the next two weekends, with Red Barber and Al Helfer returning to do the play-by-play, and will then start on a daily basis as of March 17th thru the balance of the training season. However, the contract with WOR calls for the broadcasts to end no later than 5:45 pm, whether or not the game is over, to make way for commercial commitments. If a broadcast is cut off under this rule, WOR will air regular updates during all station breaks until the game is completed. Night games will not be aired during the coming regular season due to commercial commitments....

When every game could be a Heidi Bowl.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Mar_6__1941_(5).jpg (Migawd! When Irwin's hit, he *deflates!* Top THAT, Mr. Gould!)

You have to love that the policeman driving is more upset that his tire was hit and he'll have to abandon the chase than that his partner just got shot.

... Daily_News_Thu__Mar_6__1941_.jpg "Barbara Hutton's got the dough, parley voo! Where she gets it we all know, parley voo! We work at Woolworth's Five and Dime, The pay we get is sure a crime! Hinkey dinkey par-ley vooo!" -- union song, 1941....

Just let the Walkers divorce for God's sake.

The best married-couple pun ever came out of the Hutton-Grant marriage: Cash and Carry.

... Daily_News_Thu__Mar_6__1941_(4).jpg Mr. Gould spent the whole day drawing that screen door. And then he did those bricks and that fence and those trees. And some people say cartoonists have it easy....

Well worth the effort, wonderfully done. Producing a daily strip has got to be very hard, but also, if successful, rewarding in (I assume) compensation and the voice it gives you. And while not always appreciated, it is an art form that has, so far, stood the test of time as shown by the passion we all here have today for these '41 strips.

...[ Daily_News_Thu__Mar_6__1941_(6).jpg You still haven't checked to confirm that the gun is loaded with real bullets and not blanks? Chump move, kid.....

He's no Pat. Pat would have checked the gun, escaped and rescued (and gotten "busy" with) Hu Shee by now - and also rubbed Raven's nose in his heroic accomplishments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21